Do you have anything from Ikea?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Will Curran, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

I like in Phoenix, AZ, and we are fianlly getting an Ikea November 10. So I thought it'd be kind of cool to ask, do you own anything from Ikea? If you do please include pics, and/or descriptions.

2. brap macrumors 68000

Heh.

Yeah, I have had various pine things over the years. Pine things with stupid names, which turn out to be suitably functional, and inexpensive.

Also some nice rugs... (sorry, no photos to hand).

3. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

An orange chair.

A rug or two.

Some sheets.

Cheap and decent quality, so I'm happy :).

scem0

4. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Being for Europe I have consumed many Billy's but all time favorite is the Ivar. Got it when I when I did undergrad in 1990. Meanwhile moved to 3 continents, 3 states and it is still okay (unlike all my other Ikea crap)

Attached Files:

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

We have a couple of things that we've used to set up a basement "office" - a desk, chairs, and mounted cabinets. All fairly inexpensive and easy to assemble (albeit a million parts), and so far it has held up to our abuses for a couple of years at least.

It's not fantastic stuff, but for the money, it'll last and the functionality is good.

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

which ikea do you go to? im interested in shopping there since i'll be buying a significant amount of furniture pretty soon. the nearest one i know of is in houston and that's a pata.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah, I went to the Houston one. It's nice...

Although I've never been to another one, so I wouldn't know.

scem0

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have a couple of wood tables, a desk, a vertical shelving unit, 3 horizontal stackable shelving units, a 3 drawer chest on casters, a halogen lamp, and a few odds and ends.

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I have a couple of tall bookshelves that I bought around 1980. A little rough around the edges after being moved half a dozen times but they still do the job....oh yeah!

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Too much to list. In Canada, Ikea sells more than half the furniture in Canada. I would give you a more exact percentage, but I believe it was in the 60-65% range. :eek: The Brick sells something like 20%, and they're 2nd.

11. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

have a bed, bedspread, night table(x2), ...etc
    all very easy to assemble, very good looking, very cheap
    :)
    good good!

12. cubist macrumors 68020

Nice dresser called a Malm, beech color, apparently one of their biggest sellers. It has very good drawer slides.

I've got an older black-and-cherry dresser too, and some various lamps. Most of the lamps are a little rickety and watch out for the special bulbs which cost mucho $.

13. fuzzwud macrumors regular

yep

IKEA has a twice a year big sale ... one being around New Years. I bought a bookshelf, a table, computer desk, and a metal drawer that fits under the table.

14. 150hp macrumors regular

My wife & I first hit the Chicago one & then the Twin Cities, MN version.

We absolutely dig these stores. The list of stuff started small, like 5 nesting tupperware type bowls for $1.98, place mats, rugs, fabric, hanging lamp guts, hanging set of 3 orbs with a clock, thermometer & calander.

Then we decided to get a couch & table.

The table went just fine but the couch took trips to each of the above mentioned stores. The Chicago store had the mattress & cover but was ou-of-stock on the frame. So we wanted to order it but it was freight shipping of $200 on a $50 frame. So we waited until we could go back but ended up in MN instead. So once we got the thing together, we really love it.

Now we have just put an offer in on a house so I guess we will be making another trip soon.

15. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i can't look around and not find something from Ikea, actually as i walk through my house, i think every piece of furniture is from IKEA ... LOL

16. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I have some meatballs in my freezer.

mmmm, meatballs. *drool*

17. ecche macrumors regular

When I first opened my surgery in a remote part of Germany where most people had never been to IKEA I decided to buy all the necessary furniture at IKEA - right down to the pictures on the walls. Let me tell you: For less than 5000 Euro I got myself a modern looking surgery that my patients adored. I was a happy GP until one day a young lady patient from Frankfurt on her holiday fell ill and upon entering my surgery exclaimed: "Wow, the IKEA catalogue must have exploded here.."

(Re-reading this I think I should start a career with Reader's Digest. How embarrasing!)

18. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

As a person who has living in different places, moving constantly, ikea has been a good friend ... :)

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I have a bookshelf, some small mirrors, and a dress from Ikea. You really can't beat the bang for the buck if you are on a budget.

Lethal

20. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I'd stay away from their chairs/sofas... the lack of quality really shows there. But I bought some low tables, lamps (just got an 'Ardala' lamp which I like a lot), a carpet, all those fancy little things that you just have to pick up and put into your shopping cart because they are so cheap and cool :D

I try to mix it up a little, though. Too much 'originality for the masses' is a bit scary. Reminds me of that apartment shot in Fight Club :eek: :p

21. King Crimson macrumors member

King Crimson

Quite good, but ...

Hi there,

nearly 50% of the furniture in our house was bought at Ikea, not too expensive, looks nice, medium quality (good for the price :)).

Only the kitchen looks great but was a real mess - parts missing, broken parts, ... :mad:

Cheers,

Andreas

22. Davito macrumors member

_All_ my furniture is from Ikea. Cheap, functional and good looking. I like it a lot. :)

23. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I think half of my appartment is from IKEA.

Here (bergen, norway) IKEA has free busses for students to their store, the IKEA bus..

24. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

My absolute favorite ikea thing is a big ice cube tray made out of soft rubber, red... it's genious, I love it.... I've seen a completely similar item in a fancy design store - at four times the ikea price... made me love it even more... :D

A

25. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

We have had numerous pieces of furniture over the years. Currently have a fantastic computer desk (Wicke?) that is Mac perfect. Gray shelves/desktop, gray metal tubing for supports and legs. The surface is a laminate that has a texture to it that gives it a good feel without becoming a bad writing surface. It has a tapered back that makes it work in a corner okay, but it doesn't look out of place it it isn't in a corner. Also has an available shower curtain attachment you can add to hide your clutter (or the shame of a Dull PC).
    It currently is home for my G4 iMac, Epson printer, cable modem, Creature II speakers, LaCie D2 drive, AExtreme base station, Palm cradle, iPod dock, Dazzle Hollywood A-to-D bridge, VCR, 4-port USB hub, external floppy drive...that's about it. Still has plenty of room for a legal pad of paper for taking notes and a cake box. Pull-out keyboard tray with a second swing out piece for a mouse (attaches to either side).

Just read though this....I guess I must really like this desk. I'm such a dork.