Do you have AppleCare?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Rangerhall6, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Rangerhall6 macrumors member

Rangerhall6

I was wondering if people with AppleCare could give me some info on experiences they have had. I will be getting my first Mac soon and wanted to know if its worth the money. ( I dont know if you need to know this but just incase... it will be for an iBook) - Thanks

2. Gary King macrumors 6502

I have never had a Mac laptop before, but when I get my Mini, I don't plan to extend the AppleCare, simply for the facts that I expect myself to get a new computer anyways before the 1 year default AppleCare expires.

3. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

I bought AppleCare for both my 12-inch iBook G4 and my new 20-inch iMac G5. The result: I have the peace of mind of knowing that I am covered (or at least a lot more) than if I would not have purchased it. I don't like the idea of spending several thousand dollars on Apple computer equipment and then not spending a little more (relatively) to protect my investment. No brainer, unless you can barely afford an Apple in the first place.

4. Rangerhall6 thread starter macrumors member

Rangerhall6

Thanks for the input... anyone else like it or dislike it?

5. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I had the option of purchasing the AppleCare for my PowerBook G4, but at $349, it really isn't worth it. Reasons being: I would buy a new Mac probably after a little over a year.

6. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I am very happy i bought it.

Wll worth it. if your going to be keeping your mac for a while BUY IT.

Alot of stuff can happen in 3+ years....

7. x_Viper_x macrumors newbie

with my educational discount i saved about $400 on my PB and Applecare

8. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

Well, I know what it's like to NOT have AppleCare just after something goes haywire weeks after the standard warranty expires. It sucks.

Since then, I now buy AC for every piece of Apple equipment I buy. It's expensive, but, in the end it's a lot cheaper than replacing the equipment or having it repaired out of your own pocket.

My biggest beef with AppleCare is that you can't buy it for an Apple Display unless you buy it with an Apple computer. If you buy the display separately, you only get 1 year of warranty and that's it. I don't know why Apple won't provide extended warranties on their own displays. I think it's because they don't have confidence in the quality themselves, hence the 23" Cinema Displays and the myriad of problems with them.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I take the gamble and I'll probably end up eating my words but I don't think it's worth it. Generally, Macs are very well put together and any problems you encounter should really come up in the first few months, let alone the first year. I haven't bothered with it for either my iBook or my iMac.

10. kwajaln macrumors 6502

kwajaln

RangerHall . . .
    One thing I forgot to mention in my reply is that a large part of the equation is how long you plan on keeping your Apple. I knew that I was going to keep mine for years, so for me it was a no-brainer to buy AppleCare. However, as others in this post have mentioned, I might not have bought it if I was NOT going to keep that same Apple for several years. Bottom Line . . . if there is ANY chance that you are going to keep that Apple for a couple+ years(which applies to 90+% of us, I would guess) then definitely buy Apple Care!!!! :p :p :p :cool: :) :p

11. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

I've never bought AppleCare except for my 3G 20GB iPod. My rule of thumb is to stick with the 1 year warranty first. When it's about to expire, decide then whether or not you'll need it. If you have problems during the first year of ownership, then it's probably a good idea to get AC as other problems may creep up.

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have AppleCare for both my iMac and iPod, but haven't needed to use it yet. The only trouble I had occurred the day I bought it and was fixed with a trip to my local Apple retail store (required opening the iMac).

13. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

AppleCare is really just a type of insurance. Some people are willing to gamble that the hardware won't fail. Others like the comfort of knowing that if something goes wrong, Apple will take care of it.

If your computers are crucial to your business and bottom-line, then the risk of gambling is a lot higher, making AppleCare a lot more necessary.

I can't remember now, but, if you don't buy AppleCare within the first 90 days of owning the equipment, I don't think you can buy it afterwards, even if the warranty is for 1 year.

14. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Incorrect. You can buy AppleCare at any time within the first year of ownership.

15. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

We had AppleCare on our iMac, but now the three years have passed. I consider it a good investment, we called Appletech frequently and that was nice to have. We have AppleCare on both of our iPods. My sisters iPod died outside of the 1 year warranty but thanks to AppleCare we got a new one, well worth the $60 to get it replaced for free.
    If you are buying a laptop AppleCare is a must, since laptop parts are much more expenisve and laptops have a higher chance of breaking since they are moved around.

16. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

For the three Apple desktops I've owned, I never had Applecare, and never missed it. My PowerBook is approaching it's one year purchase date, and having had the combo drive replaced a few months back, I am seriously considering getting Applecare for it. I am thinking that a laptop needs it more, since it will travel around a bit, and the parts and service are typically more expensive.

Does anyone know if, having bought a Mac via the EDU store, one can later purchase Applecare with the EDU price (as long as it is within the first year)?

17. MontyZ macrumors 6502a

Great, thanks for clearing that up!

As mentioned above, I think AppleCare is a MUST if you buy a laptop.

18. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

I think Applecare is pretty much a necessity for a notebook cos it is more likely you will either drop it or damage the screen. My brother's Combo Drive on his 15" PB G4 rev B stopped working and it required about two calls to Applecare and then they sent him a little box thing to send the computer in overnight. That was on a Tuesday. He got it back on Thursday or Friday of the same week with a whole new case along witht he new drive.

19. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

As long as you are a student one year later, you can. That's my plan with my powerbook currently. Also, there are big savings on powebook Educational applecare.

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I know, the EDU price is great. I am leaning towards getting AC for the PB and iPod I got with the Cram 'n' Jam offer last July. I can buy both plus get iLife '05, and still spend less than regular price for PB Applecare.

If smokin' fast new PowerBooks were more imminent, I might pass on Applecare for this one. ;)

21. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Yes. AC with the EDU price can be purchased either online or at a nearby Apple Store location. That's what I did for my iPod and friend did for his PB a couple years ago.

22. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yes, I have Applecare. I'm glad I bought it, too. I had to have my PB HD replaced a couple of months ago...

23. Rangerhall6 thread starter macrumors member

Rangerhall6

Thanks

Thanks guys... this has helped me decide to go with the AppleCare for my laptop. It sounds like it will be worth the money...especially with a student discount. I really appretiate all the advice.

24. sacear macrumors 6502

sacear

Seems some are saying don't get AppleCare if you are selling your Mac or PowerBook after about a year. Well to me that is a reason to get AppleCare. AppleCare is a huge selling point for used Macs. I always want to know if the Mac has AppleCare coverage. Because the original included warranty is only offered to the original buyer and is not transferable. AppleCare is completely transferrable during the entire AppleCare term. Including AppleCare makes a Mac much more desirable to potential buyers, especially those new to Macs who want the telephone support more than the hardware warranty.

25. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Would Apple Care cover this? I haven't bought Apple Care for my new Powerbook so far, but if dropping the PB or damaging the display is covered then I'll definitely get it.