Do you have experience with....GHOSTS?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Moxiemike, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I was searching through the forums looking for threads on ghost experiences, ghost hunting, haunted places, etc.

I've lead (if you wanna call it this) a "blessed" life as far as run-ins with the paranormal. I went to a psychic who proclaimed that I have "gifte of the sight" or, for Bruce Willis fans, "6th sense"

Which explains a lot of the weird stuff i saw while I was a kid.

But to wit, a few quick ghost sightings:
    ?in this bookstore where i worked, a guy would often sit on a couch before closing, reasing civil war books.

?homewood cemetery in pittsburgh, we've been followed around by orbs.

?i've had many run-ins with a close friend of mine who committed suicide in 1991.

?slept in a haunted b&b in Cape May where windows that we kept opening for the breeze would be shut soon after we feel asleep, and we'd be awoken by someone stroking my girlfriend's arm.

?there was some weird stuff while the same GF and I lay out on a lawn in the park near this church on one of the first days of spring. It was evening and we kept smelling roses... like, left to right. right to left. stop. repeat. On our way out, we saw a "plaque" dedicated to Maria McGowen, the rose lady. Confirmed "rose smelling" thing with the pastor the next day.

?Plus, many little anecdotes from trips to abandoned mental wards, cemeteries, almost buying a haunted house, etc etc. And a really freaky story from a haunted town called "Livermore" that frank can back up.... the freakiness of the place... it was too much!

So, anyone have anything similar to share???/

Talk to me! You know you wanna! :)

2. vniow macrumors G4

ghosts creep me out

Never in real life but I had this recurring dream where this middle-aged ghost lady was jogging on what looked like the sidewalk across the street where I used to live.

I don't know why but it creeped me out and I still don't know what it means (if anything)[​IMG]

3. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: ghosts creep me out

hm. inetresting dream. If it were recurring, and the action were the same.. it could be a sign to break some sort of cycle in your life.

or a symbol of a search. the old woman signifing an amount of time that might be vested in some sort of search, and the frenzy (the jogging) with which the search's pace is at.

4. vniow macrumors G4

I guess if you took it that way it would go along with what I'm going through at the moment (my new smileVs, the drop of the 'ed' from my name, wink wink, nudge nudge) it's all very confusing over here in V land.

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Do you have experience with....GHOSTS?

Skeptic chimes in: No, and neither do you.

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Looks like we don't have ghosts in Venezuela, they left to Miami or Spain already as i'm doing right now:D

7. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Do you have experience with....GHOSTS?

you can feel free to believe in what you wanna believe in, but don't tell me what I believe dude.

8. 3777 macrumors 6502

Yes, sort of related to the God thread, it involved my best friend who had passed away from cancer at 21. Right at the 2 year mark of his death a series of very strange events happened to me for a 1 week period, don't have time to tell the whole story right now, & I didn't see casper the ghost or anything, but I felt something and some really incredible events happened one after the other during the week in question.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cant say i have but have allways been curious about the scientific data to back things up. I guess you never know unless it happens to you.are these the same bunch of crackpots who have seen ufo's or is there something more going on that we have ignored???questions questions questions.

10. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

@moxiemike: sooner or later u stop getting scared right?

11. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Yup, and it was creepy...

I was sitting at my dinner table eating, when the water pitcher in front of me suddenly flipped its lid open. I figured "What the heck, maybe it had something to do with the cold air in the pitcher versus the warm air outside causing some sort of air pressure thing, or something..."

I kept eating and a couple of minutes later the lid flipped again, closing itself, right in front of my eyes! (Which means the air pressure thing doesen't work anymore):eek:
    Anyways, that really freaked me out...

Later that night I told my parents about it all. They asked me which water pitcher was doing this. I pointed at the pitcher, and right at that moment, SWEAR TO GOD, the lid flipped open and then closed itself. Needless to say, the three of us screamed at that moment. Then we started giggling nervously.:confused:

That has been my only concrete experience with paranormal activity. And it was really creepy. Hasn't happened since, but let's say we don't really use that water pitcher anymore;)

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

This might make my family sound increadible wealthy, but we
    really aren't. But anyways, when I was a child I lived in a mantion,
    my parent's business is weddings (And parties), but the 'Barr
    Mansion' is kind of spooky. Someone had even died there. The
    original owner had fallen down the stairs and killed himself. But
    I never really gave it much thought, it seemed too much like home
    for me to be afraid of ghosts. :rolleyes:

13. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I actually embrace it now. I've tried to talk to the bookstore ghost.

But it disappears.

Sometimes i get freaked out, but its rare when that happens. Mostly now, when my friends are scared stiff, i'll keep a walking. ;)

I have some cool pics of a haunted insane asylum if any one wants to see. :)

14. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Re: Re: Do you have experience with....GHOSTS?

I wouldn't presume to tell you what you believe. In fact, I can quite clearly tell what you believe. What I'm saying is that you interpret your experience to support the things you want to be true.

To address some of your specific claims:

in this bookstore where i worked, a guy would often sit on a couch before closing, reasing civil war books.

I used to work in a library where we had much the same thing happen. We usually handled it by telling the guy we were closing so that he didn't get locked in.

homewood cemetery in pittsburgh, we've been followed around by orbs.

"Orbs" have become very popular in very recent supernatural pop culture, because the charlatans have discovered that digital cameras tend to be especially prone to certain lens flare effects that appear to be floating "orbs." These are given all manner of explanations (ghosts, aliens, whatever) depending on what the observer's own particular supernatural kink happens to be. Of course the ones captured on camera were not visible to the human eye when the pictures were taken (because they weren't there), but this prompts the claim that they can be captured only on camera. One has to wonder what is so special about the optics of a camera that renders ghosts visible when the much more sophisticated optics of the human eye cannot detect them. But aside from that, any time a claimed phenomenon becomes popular, you get spontaneous "me too" reports either from other charlatans or from people who delude themselves. "Orbs" are probably particularly prone to trigger a "me too" because, jeez, round light sources are EVERYWHERE. If somebody's looking for an "orb" he's pretty sure to find one. And of course, it's worth noting that in your case, suddenly these "orbs" have, for some reason, decided to move out of the photographical dimension and into the realm of ordinary human perception.

i've had many run-ins with a close friend of mine who committed suicide in 1991.

You're very short on details here, and furthermore it's hard to address this one without sounding insensitive about the death of your friend, so I'm not touching it. Moving right along...

slept in a haunted b&b in Cape May where windows that we kept opening for the breeze would be shut soon after we feel asleep, and we'd be awoken by someone stroking my girlfriend's arm.

You were both awakened by someone stroking your girlfriend's arm? That must have been some pretty intense stroking. But needless to say, anything you perceive as you're waking up is suspect. I've awakened convinced that I was performing brain surgery on my best friend. As for the window, it doesn't take a ghost to close a window. They close by all manner of completely natural physical processes. The fact that you were asleep at the time makes you a pretty poor witness for claiming what caused the window to close, even for a believer in supernatural phenomena. If you were asleep, for instance, how do you know it was ghosts and not gray aliens who closed the window?

Bed and Breakfast places have an extraordinarily high rate of "hauntings." Gee, I wonder why. It certainly wouldn't have anything to do with proprietors of these places wanting to tell an interesting story to their gullible patrons. The fact is, once a believer is told that a place is haunted, he is sure to interpret any number of normal occurences as the work of ghosts, and his reports are then used as confirmation for the claim that the place is haunted.

there was some weird stuff while the same GF and I lay out on a lawn in the park near this church on one of the first days of spring. It was evening and we kept smelling roses... like, left to right. right to left. stop. repeat. On our way out, we saw a "plaque" dedicated to Maria McGowen, the rose lady. Confirmed "rose smelling" thing with the pastor the next day.

Let me get this straight... you were outside on an early spring day and you smelled roses in the air? Well, jeez, I guess I'm wrong. There's certainly nothing but ghosts that can produce the smell of a rose outdoors in springtime.

Plus, many little anecdotes from trips to abandoned mental wards, cemeteries, almost buying a haunted house, etc etc. And a really freaky story from a haunted town called "Livermore" that frank can back up.... the freakiness of the place... it was too much!

I'm sure it was.

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

There is nothing wrong with Ghost, I'm one.

Boo.

Nah no real activity, more or less the squirels in my adict. (sp)

16. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Not quite Ghosts, but close (really weird)

I purchased a Quija board (yeah yeah, laugh if you must) on a whim just about 10 years ago, in my senior year of high school.

The first time me and my friend laughingly attempted to "contact the spirit world" well, it really worked.

I had never ever "used" a Quija board before, seen anyone use one in person or had anyone describe using one to me in any level of detail. I hadn't even watched the "Witchboard" movies before.

Me and my friend were literally laughing about "talking to ghosts" when the very first time we tried it the damn pointer/indicator actually felt like it was moving on its own with our hands simply following along.

We asked rather silly questions and got various answers, some cryptic. We apparently contacted a woman in her 50s and I believe a small child. We never got anyone else beyond these two (maybe it was three?) "people" or spirits or whatever.

The best part?

I have that first episode on video tape. Yes it looks fake, but it is quite real and quite scary and still gives me goosebumps to watch or even think about it. I have recently been debating on putting it up on my web server since I have not come close to maxing out my bandwidth limit every month.

I had many more experiences with the Ouija board over the next year until it simply got too weird for me to continue. By weird I mean the pointer would only spell S-A-T-A-N and G-O-D and spin around and around the board so hard the board was actually sliding around as well. The spelling part was extremely forceful, it was hard to follow (nearly let the thing fly off a few times) and was extremely precise movement-wise. No way that it was sub-conscious muscle contractions by one of us - we were barely able to keep up.

This part I *don't* have on video tape unfortunately. Frankly using the board was becoming our drug, we would sneak around and use the board on the weekends or whenever.

The most unusual experience was at a park where I was sitting up on a large concrete table while two other people attempted to use the board. They got nothing out of it until I put my hands on the pointer and it suddenly started going around and around really fast. I let go and it was like someone flipped a switch in me; I collapsed backwards and layed on the table for a minute or so completely drained of energy.

THAT was the most freaked out thing that has ever happened to me in a paranormal-sense. It even ranks above my dead cousin calling out my name in my parents house several years before.

I have always "sensed" presences in empty rooms and had an interest in the paranormal but have had very few encounters to date other than as described above. Needless to say I am a firm believer in some form of afterlife/spirits/ghosts/souls/disembodied energy. There is definately something "beyond" if you know what I mean.

17. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Re: Not quite Ghosts, but close (really weird)

I totally agree. And i'm ignoring Gelfin's post, just cause i really don't wanna spend time retorting everything he says. :)

But yea... ouija boards i haven't played with. I'd LOVE to see the video... wanna host it temporarily on a server I have? How big?

Lemme know.

check this out. This is an 19th century abandoned mental ward. shot of the main walkway inside. Weird place. lots of energy. Temp changes, etc. Lots of weird-ish noises, some explainable, some not. and some WEIRD smells. None explainable. Cool place. :D

dixmont

edit: before i get "flamed" by the non-believers, the little birght spots of light were from flashlights we were using as "af assists" for the camera. :)

18. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Let there be video

Here is my Ouija Board video.

The video is edited for time and content plus it has some titles added (iMovie rocks). And it is from analog source material so it looks a little crappy. Otherwise it is 100% authentic, real, honest, not staged/faked. If you think NASA faked the Moon landings and/or don't believe in this stuff then don't waste my bandwidth by d/l the video clip.

There is some usage of four-letter words in the video :eek:, especially at the end so watch out for younger children in the room (we were 18, my parents weren't home and I cuss a lot when freaking out over a Ouija Board). Its all part of the brutal honesty of the video.

The video is just about 10 minutes long (15.5 meg. d/l). Playback should start automatically.

Believe the video is real or not, it doesn't matter to me. There will always be those people who disbelieve *something*. I was there, it happened as shown in the video and was repeated many times after. I was actually skeptical of the whole Ouija Board as conduit-to-the-afterlife before doing this and am now a firm believer, in what I am not exactly sure.

19. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

what's with that dixmont thing?

a .jpg. that's it.

can't see anything "special". care to elaborate, where to look, ifever?
    :confused:

20. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

it's just a picture. trying to give an illustration of the supposedly haunted places that i've been.

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I wanna see!! :D

Honestly, with as much time as I spend in cemeteries, one would think I'd have been scared by a spirit by now. Truth is, I believe in them totally. I do believe that we've had "visits" from my grandmother a few times in the past...weird stuff like a cup that was more than secure repeatedly falling onto the floor.

hmm...I think I may head off to a cemetery this weekend with my camera...he he... ;)

22. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

hey eye, you could always look at the link above....

or check this

23. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ah yes...those are just lovely photos Moxie! :D

so next time I come out to PGH...we're gonna get the sh*t scared out of us, right? :D :eek: :p ;)

24. Moxiemike thread starter macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Well, we can try. :) we could actually try to find the Livermore Cemetery... then we'd get scared. Hehe.

25. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Re: Let there be video

The video doesnt work for me... come on, I need to see this! :mad: