Do you have Eye TV?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jen5678, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Jen5678 macrumors regular

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Got a 410 connected to a Mac Mini. Seems to work really well. Does exactly what it's meant to do. Only thing that is missing a DVB text renderer so no teletext or red-button fun!

3. Gerg macrumors regular

I have an EyeTV 200 connected to my Mac mini, and their EyeHome attached to the TV (the EyeHome allows me to view any content on my Mac through the TV-recorded EyeTV shows, iPhoto albums, iTunes music, etc,).

Other than a brief hiccup in the EyeHome connection out of the box, I've had no problems. Well, that's not 100% true. My current problem is that I'm fast running out of disc space for all the stuff I've recorded. I want to leave it on a hard drive so I can easily axccess it through the EyeHome. If it weren't for that, I'd just burn it all off to a video CD or DVD.

I'm very happy with it!

4. tpatricks macrumors member

tpatricks

Mine works great...

I've had both the earlier EyeTV USB version and the Firewire model. Both have performed great. The real trick is the software, which seems to improve regularly. The earlier USB version had limited quality, but the Firewire version is full TV resolution. Nice.

Get a big hard drive. Size does matter.
    -

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

My wife has a model 200 on her iMac G5; works great.

6. noel4r macrumors 6502a

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I've got the EyeTV 400 the only thing I don't like about it, is the mpeg2 streams seem to be huge in the latest bunch of updates - like over a GB for a half hour show, where they were a lot smaller when I first got it.

I've also got the EyeHome which is an amazing piece of hardware _EXCEPT_ for the lack of AC3 output from divx/xvid video to analog - which was working when I first got it, but as the updates came more functionality got added and AC3 was forced to only work through the digital output, which is nice and all except I don't have a digital-in on my amp. I asked El Gato about this and based on their response I don't expect to see AC3 over analog support in the future, they told me I need a TOS to RCA convertor I've never seen these anywhere, if any of you guys know what they are can you chuck me a product name, or link?

8. iGary Guest

iGary

Can you hook cable directly into one of these things?

(I'm A/V handicapped, for real.)

9. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Yep, you can hook in cable, just not satellite. I have the EyeTV 500 and LOVE it! I record "24" in HD for free every week!

10. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Yeah, but the EyeTV comes with a remote that can be used to contol everything the EyeTV does.

11. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Recently an EyeTV update included support for exporting in different formats including mpeg-4.

12. Jen5678 thread starter macrumors regular

has anyone ever used it to put vhs tapes onto the computer?

13. Gerg macrumors regular

I haven't done this yet, but that is one of their main marketing points-digitizing your old video for archival purposes.

14. dirk-a-lurk macrumors newbie

EyeTV 500...great, but...

I recently purchased an EyeTv 500, and it works very well with my 1.33 Powerbook 17". I can view, record, and burn to DVD with hardly any chop in the picture (Elgato's website says that a Dual G5 is necessary for max resolution HD viewing and recording, but my 1.33 G4 powerbook does quite well...of course it does use over 90% CPU power during these operations).

That being said, it is limited in the amount of content it can receive. Restricted to OTA signals (Over the Air via antenna) and Clear QAM (unencrypted digital cable) via my Comcast digital Cable basically totals up to all of the major network's signals (NBC, ABC, etc.), ESPN-HD, DISC-HD, INHD, and INHD2).

Basically, if you’re looking for a device to record HD broadcast signals this is your product. If you want to be able to record channels like Comedy Central and other basic cable offerings, you should look into the EyeTv 200 or the EyeTv Wonder USB 2.0.

Personally, I'm flirting with the idea of buying an EyeTv 200 to supplement this shortfall, but I'm unsure if you can use both devices at once (have an email into Elgato right now). Good for Elgato...bad for my wallet.

Does anyone have experience with running two of these devices at once? I realize my Powerbook only has one Firewire 400 input, but was thinking of getting a mini-hub, or just trying to piggyback off the EyeTv 500 firewire input.

15. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I have. It works fine and it's not too hard. You just run patch cables from the audio & video ports on your VCR to the corresponding ports on the EyeTV, then you have to select line in (instead of tuner) in the EyeTV preferences, as I recall.

16. Gareth56 macrumors newbie

Miglia TV Eye

I wonder if anyone can help?

I have bought a Miglia TV Eye from Apple and despite having a brand new digital aerial on the roof and being told by the engineer who installed it that the signal is excelelnt I cannot get any of the ITV channels or channel 5 nor BBC 4 or SKY News and a few other of the Freeview channels. In my lounge I have a Freeview box which can get ALL available channels via the same aerial. There are two lines coming from the aerial (the engineer said it was OK to have 2 separete lines because the signal is strong enough to cope) one goes to the Freeview box in the lounge, the other to the computer room. I can actually see the local transmitter from my house. Looking at the Elegato support page and their FAQ, it does suggest that if you cannot receive any ITV channels it could be due to the signal being too strong so insert an attenuator in te line, I tried this and I still just the same number of channels and no improvement.

Any suggestions would be welcome before I send it back to Apple for a refund.

Thanks
    Gareth.

17. dcv macrumors G3

Have you tested the aerial socket in the computer room using the Freeview box from the lounge? Or have you tried connecting the Miglia TV to the aerial socket in the lounge? Might be worth double-checking as the problem could lie in the cable connection to the rooftop aerial and not the Miglia unit. Is there a little portable antenna supplied with the Miglia one (as you get with the Elgato EyeTV) - do you get any channels at all with that?

18. qool macrumors newbie

qool

I just bought Miglia's TVmini for my MB, and it's great! It uses EyeTV engine.
    It's a USB dongle, and a small aerial on a suction cup. I've used numerous Digital STBs for my regular TV, and they were all crap. They were connected to the big roof aerial, and never had a perfect reception.
    This little pen-sized aerial gets every digital channel offered, and records straight onto my HDD. I can export it out to my video ipod, PSP, etc. :)

19. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

I imagine one can get an external HD and store the media in there instead of the boot volume. Am I wrong in this assumption?

20. thumb macrumors 6502

not just can, pretty much ought/have to.

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i'm thinking of getting an eye tv 250 for my future iMac. How will this work at school. I'm pretty sure my school direct tv. But all the channels are messed up with direct tv and the package they have. How will this work? like 247 TBS isn't 247 its like 40 something...

22. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I have a 400 it works exactly as expected, teletext etc work correctly. Great picture quality, can't fault it really.

23. Gareth56 macrumors newbie

Yes, I've connected the Miglia to the aerial that goes into the Freeview box and can still only get 23 of the >69 channels that I can get on my Freeview box. The portable (stick) antena that came with the unit can only pick up 6 channels despite been able to see the transmitter away up on the hills approx 20km from my house.

24. Temujin macrumors 6502a

Temujin

Could anyone of you EyeTv owners tell me the quality vs. hard drive space stats? 1 hour of video max quality = ? gb

25. risc macrumors 68030

risc

It depends on the model and what you are recording. On my 400 standard definition digital is a little over 2 GB an hour (this is an average and can change based on the quality of the broadcast), HD would be heaps more.