Do you have fear of flight?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by imacintel, Jul 28, 2006.

?

Flight fear?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    84.1%
  1. imacintel macrumors 68000

Do you fear flight sometimes. I am most comforatble in the air, and at landing, but takeoff its one of my goals. Sometimes when we start going really fast, I sort of yell in my mind; STOP THE PLANE!

and then the front lifts up and I feel better already.:)

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

No, I'm one of those people who enjoys the rush of takeoff. Still, I do get airsick... but a pill takes care of that. :D

I had an extreme fear of heights, but I started going to the sky observatory near my house and now I can handle it. On the plane, it never felt bad.

My fear of Windows, though, doesn't seem like it will be cured any time soon. :p

irmongoose

3. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Yes.... Though I have nevr flown, I don't have any intention to anytime soon. I know everyones says "It's much safer then driving", but at least with driving I have SOME control over my life and what happnes to me, what am I susposed to do 5 miles up in the air if the plane starts to crash???

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I get massive headaches when the plane comes in to land (if I'm on the plane, of course) but I still like flying. It's weird because I don't normally 'do' headaches.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Please, if you have any airplane horror stories, save them for two days; I'm leaving for Germany of Sunday ...and I don't want to hear it! :D

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not me, I've been flying for most of my life. My father is a current QANTAS captain/ex-fighter pilot and funnily enough when he was young he was afraid of flying.

I love the feeling of taking off - it almost relaxes me. I can't sleep on planes, which, when you live in Australia is a bit of a bugger because it's a long flight to almost everywhere but if I were to fall asleep it would be on takeoff.

When I was living in the Snowy Mountains in the far south of New South Wales I took a plane from Canberra to Sydney and the the whole takeoff was so perfect I fell asleep and woke up when the plane stopped in Sydney. Best flight ever.

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Were you drunk again? :D

8. imacintel thread starter macrumors 68000

I won't say the details, but lets just say the baby hit the ceiling and made a hole.:D jk

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Living in the snow? I wasn't drunk "again," I was "still" drunk.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Noice. :D

Yeah, drinking makes the flight so much more bearable but the hangover when you land is a bitch.

11. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I have a fear of heights... but I suspect (like most people afraid of heights) that it's more a fear of falling, than it is of heights. So that goes 100% for plane rides.

That being said, I love the window seat beacuse the views are amazing.

Is that contradictary?

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

For anyone with a fear of flying, keep in mind that the captain of even the smallest puddle jumper has 1500 (at a bare minimum) hours of flying under his belt.

13. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I neither like nor dislike flying. It's like eating celery. I don't mind it, but it's rather tasteless.

14. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Nope been flying on airplanes since I was 5 months old... Now I fly about 10-12 times a year.

15. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Tasteless or Bland? I feel like you mean the latter, but I'd be really curious to hear your reasons for the former.

(I'm not playing the grammar police, I just find semantics interesting. :))

16. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Oh, my friend, I do mean tasteless. Celery is like water to me. It's like water in a vegetable form.

17. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Hey! I happen to love celery! It's like water in a vegetable form! :D

18. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

Like I said, I don't care either way for vegetable water ;)

19. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

i only get scared when there is turbulence...

landing and lift off is not scary for me at all :p

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not scared of the flight itself, I love it. I just always have "what if....." on my mind which makes me nervous.

Granted, when you look at the statistics, I have a much better chance of dying in an accident if I drove to where I was going. But I still always am thinking "What if...."

21. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

But it's really good with peanut butter (and rasins)... which is a great in-flight snack. <-- Whew! I tried to bring it back on-topic!

22. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I don't like peanut butter. or raisins ;)

23. atticus1178 macrumors regular

i love to fly

for some reason it relaxes me

i only get nervous when taxiing the plane, but after that i feel so comfortable

24. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I would say I have a passive fear of flying. I'm not afraid when I'm on the plane, but sometimes I'd rather be on the ground. ;)

My first flight was from San Francisco to New York City, when I was 23. I was nervous, but not scared, plus I had a movie to keep my mind occupied. But on shorter flights I try to keep myself distracted by just looking at the ground, seeing things that I could perhaps recognize, things of that sort. I also love taking aerial pictures while I'm on the plane, I've got gobs of 'em. :)