Do you have more than one SmartCover ?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by LevMac, May 3, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

LevMac

Hey guys,

Just wanting to see who has more than ONE Smart Cover for their iPad's ?

I have the blue polyurethane but I'm starting to like the leather based ones...

Does anyone have more than one and swap them around ? :)

2. macrumors 6502

no, but i had the poly with my iPad 2 and got the leather one with the iPad 3. much prefer the leather one, but pretty expensive piece of leather...but then again the poly is expensive too!

i do interchange with an Incipio Lexington when i want more protection though (ie., my 3 year old)

3. macrumors 603

rgarjr

I just have a black leather one but eventually I will probably get a navy blue one.

4. macrumors G4

Night Spring

I currently have the navy leather with my 3rd gen iPad. Before, I had a black leather with my iPad 2, which I passed on to my cousin as a set. I also tried the tan leather for a few days, trying to decide between that and the black, after which I gave the tan to my mom, who had just gotten an iPad 2. I really like the navy I have now, it feels elegant while being a bit different. Black felt plain, and the tan just picked up strains too easily.

5. macrumors 65816

Nhwhazup

If I preferred the smart cover rather than a case with a built in cover, I would definitely have more than one cover. I originally had a cream colored leather smart cover and ended up throwing it away. Read some of the threads and you'll see the stories of terrible staining and no way to clean the cream and red colored covers. My cream colored was full of smudges and fingerprints before I even got it home from the store and that was with clean hands.

6. macrumors 68040

Have a black one.
    Picked up a tan one on ebay (OEM) for $22. Oiled it so its nice and dark now.

7. macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Just one; Black leather. Were I to get another color, then my OCD would require that I also purchase a back cover of equal hue as well. I don't wanna go down that road.

8. macrumors regular

Waiting on my 3rd (1st official Apple one) to be delivered. I picked up a Khomo dual case on Amazon, basically a back with a built in smart cover. Then a regular Khomo Smart Cover in Red. Now waiting on the Grey PU by Apple to get dropped off.

9. macrumors newbie

I used to have an orange one. Not sure why they don't make it in that color any more. So I'm planning to get a black leather one for my new iPad. For those who had an "OEM" one, are those good? $70 is just way too much.

10. macrumors member

I have a black leather for iPad 2 use for almost year, never cleaned but look still great. When I bought my new iPad 3, I thought I should change another color, so I got a navy leather one this time, regret in 2 days as the navy easy get dirty and not easy to clean. If I had a 2nd chance, I would buy a black.

11. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Easy get dirty? Not easy to clean? I just use shoe polish. Makes it harder to get dirty, and covers up most smudges.

12. macrumors newbie

13. macrumors 6502a

Guess I am a little obsessed - I have 4 smart covers. LOL.

They are orange, green, pink, and light grey. Haven't ventured over to the leather ones yet, but I might just do that.

14. macrumors regular

Add me to the obsessed list. I have four: pink, gray, black leather and a ruined red leather. Don't try and clean the red leather one! I did and it looks horrible.

15. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Really? What did you use to clean it? I've been wondering what would happen to the red leather if I were to oil it with my handbag cream from Coach.

16. macrumors 6502a

Ha ha! Glad to see I am not alone. And, thanks for the tip on the red leather one.

17. thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Looks like there a few people with more than one Smart Cover :)

I have the 2nd generation Grey PU and 2nd generation Blue PU, the 1st generation ones didn't have the nicer "inside" of the 2nd generation :)

Looking to either get the Tan or Red Leather one, what do you guys use to treat/clean your leather covers ??

18. macrumors 65816

Nhwhazup

I don't recommend the tan leather at all. I purchased it with my new iPad and it was covered with smudges and fingerprints before I got it home and that was handling it with clean hands. I tried to clean it but nothing worked. Then I dyed it black and in the end threw it in the trash. A real waste of $70. From reading these forums, the only leather one that folks have not complained about staining is the black one. If you don't mind a worn in stained look then go for either of the two you mentioned. I don't mind leather that breaks in and looks broken in but when it's all stained and yucky looking in a few hours from just normal handling (as my tan one was) i can't have it. Just my two cents from my experience.

19. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Well, my navy one is holding up nicely. I didn't open it until I got home, then immediately treated it with a coating of Coach leather lotion I have for my handbags, then buffed it with a shoe polishing foam. I repeat the process every time I think the leather is starting to look worn -- maybe about once a month or so. I used to do this with my black one, and my mom was impressed when she saw it before we passed it onto my cousin. She said it looked practically new. I also use spit to immediately wipe any stains and smudges I notice -- I know it might seem a bit gross, but spit does do wonders with leather. :p

I haven't tried this process with any other color, just the black and navy, but so far the navy is looking very good. I'm curious how it'll work with the other colors, but not enough to shell out $70 to try!

20. macrumors 68030

21. thread starter macrumors 6502

LevMac

Thanks for the advice Nhwhazup :)

Here's something, each different coloured Leather Smart Cover actually has a different leather pattern :) Next time your looking at the Leather ones, take a look at the differences in the leather :)