Do You Have Problems With Your Mac??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ®îçhå®?, Sep 11, 2006.

Does Your Mac Pose You Problems??

1. Yes, with at least 1 previous computer

16 vote(s)
  2. Yes, currently undergoing stressful times

16 vote(s)
  3. No, never

68 vote(s)
  1. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    Just wanted to set up a poll mostly inspired by GimmieSlack12 but i have been pondering this for a while about whose Mcs cause them problems??
    On this forum, it is all bad news about people's problems and, to encourage potential switchers, to show that not all Apples are bad and actually work well.
    so have you had problems with your Mac in the past or even now??
  2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It's a matter of degree.

I've had problems where a certain revision of Mac OS X didn't like some piece of hardware in my configuration, internal or external.

Mostly, Apple machines and Mac OS X work really well. Windows doesn't work as well and the various distributions of Linux are variably good but none have the tight integration and polish that makes Mac OS X a winner.
  3. Pressure macrumors 68040

May 30, 2006
    Yes, currently undergoing stressful times.

You can read about it here.
  4. pjarvi macrumors 65816

Jan 11, 2006
    Round Lake, IL
    I have a MacBook (black) and a Mac Mini G4. The MacBook is out for repair due to the rand... constant shutdown problem, and my Mini won't sleep.

I just reinstalled OS X from scratch on the Mini last night. Did a clean install with all of the unneeded languages, printer drivers, and applications removed. It actually made things worse. About 40% of the time that I turn the Mini on or restart it, it displays a solid black screen and won't let me do anything. When it does boot up normally, it still won't sleep, and is kind of like the random shutdown issue in reverse. I select sleep from the Apple menu, the screen goes blank, the hard drive spins down, and then instantly the thing turns right back on again.

I've done everything I can think of, including disconnecting everything attached other then the monitor cable, and power supply, but no luck. It just won't sleep. :confused:
  5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    I agree with this.

Software-wise, I've never had an issue at all. No crashing, incompatibility, etc... OSX rocks for this.

BUT, on my PB, I needed the screen replaced because of those white spots. And on my white MB I needed the plastics replaced because of the discoloration. On both of these problems, though, Apple was perfect - agreed to fix both right away (even though the PB screen was my fault - carrying it around in a backpack without a sleeve, so it bounced against heavy books and damaged it). I opted to do both repairs by sending it in, and in both cases there was only 3 days total between the time I had DHL pick up my laptop and the time they were delivering the fixed one. Awesome!

So, yeah, there have been some issues, but because they were fixed so readily and because I had such good customer service, I'm not bothered at all that these arose..
  6. Gosh macrumors 6502

Aug 14, 2006

Software update does not work after being updated in-store after replacement of graphics card.

Applecare advise is reinstall OS - which works but no one can explain why.

However, archive and reinstall is a feature PC owners would absolutely die for.

AppleMacs don't always work but they are better!
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    *runs around laughing*

OMG yes.

I have exchanged six Apple products, had one replaced...Christ I don't even want to get into it.
  8. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2006
    Clearwater, FL
  9. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    you mean besides the fact that they don't make it.
  10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Most of the people here will have had problems... that's why most people wind up here in the first place is it not? It's the one's who'd never think to come on a forum like MR that this poll would be more interested in.
  11. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    So far, I've been lucky as I have not experienced any problem with my Macs to this day. Maybe my buying habits are helping me increase this chance of "trouble-free Mac." I never buy the rev A model from Apple. Then, I check various forums on the known issues. Even though forums tend to amplify the problems, there are also some praises on good products.
  12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Really? Did you ever post about them?

Never had a problem or hardware failure with any Mac I've ever owned (6 or 7). Did have a dodgy 15" Apple CRT that htey swapped out for me.
  13. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    Yeah. i am kinda thinking that i should have put "Are you happy with your Mac??"
  14. findpankaj macrumors member

Nov 12, 2005
    Apple has hardware issues

Lets agree to the fact that Apple has hardware issues. Its high time other computer manufacturers start building hardware for Mac OS X. I like the OS very much but unfortunately the cool design of the machines comes with bad hardware.

I have reasons to blv this. I have spent years with windows machines and always had issues with crapy windows software but never ever with hardware (DELL, IBM, HP, COMPAQ, home assembled and lots more).
  15. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Jul 3, 2005
    I have problems with my Macbook, it's had a few kernel panics, failures to wake up from sleep (VERY annoying, keep losing work), battery decreasing at crazy speeds (even on the replacement battery, is it normal to be decreasing at 1% per 40-60 seconds on Better Battery Life with 3 basic apps open?), and the edges of the macbook are actually quite sharp. Sometimes the OS just goes slow, too, and freezes.

Other than that, all good.
  16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    You didn't notice any of his posts about them. :D :D :D :D

I'm mostly happy with my machines and I've seen a lot of things happen as Apple transitioned its own manufacturing to others. As the price has been reduced, it seems that the frequency of problems has risen. While it's probably not directly Apple's fault, they should have technicians randomly testing these things at the factories in question to help ensure quality. A $50.00 bump in the price of each unit might keep the problems from reaching end users by paying for further inspections.
  17. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    I've never had any hardware problems with any of my macs. (except an old Quadra 650 that had it's hard drive give out after 10 years but I didn't count that) Although I have outgrown my current iBook G4 and it feels really slow and that is a problem but I don't think that's what you meant.
  18. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Mar 24, 2005
    A religiously oppressed state
    That just made my night :p sorry to pleasure from your pain but hey!
  19. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2006
  20. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    iBook had a few minor problems, but nothing major, and nothing often. Nothing a quick trip to the Genius Bar didn't fix.
  21. draghelm macrumors newbie

Aug 15, 2006
    Victoria Australia
    The Australian Summer got to my iMac G5 a couple of years ago which required the replacement of the entire logic board. Other then that I've had no problems.
  22. Silentwave macrumors 68000

May 26, 2006
    Gainesville, FL
    The applecare box is sitting right here, unfortunately. I keep stalling....but a week after i send it out I should have my MBP back better than new.
  23. powerbuddy macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2006

Getting a lot of discolorations in my Macbook...its dirtier than ever and only in 2 months.. :mad: I called up Apple, and they wouldn't even listen.
  24. Passante macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    on the sofa
    God yes...

My Mac makes me spend so much money on it! First it wants a new hard drive, then a superdrive, upgraded the ram to 1.5 gigs, STILL NOT ENOUGH!!!!!! I WANT MORE! The latest is the 20 inch widescreen display. When will it end? WHEN WHEN????

I'd be so much happier with a Dell. No demands. I ask the Dell is half a gig of ram enough? No... 256 is fine, DVI out? Oh no VGA will do nicely, Do you want Firewire, Oh, no thank you, a serial or parallel port will be fine. How about Vista? God No!, Visa would bring me to my knees... Please no Vista... Windows Me would be fine....

Oh, the 80 gig drive in my Powerbook had to be replaced.
  25. crjackson macrumors member

Jun 1, 2006
    Where's the hard crashed 2 times within 24 hours of taking it out of the box needing full os reinstallations but havent had a single problem since option?