Do you have quicktime on your dock?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ero87, May 5, 2006.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Kindof a silly question, but I always notice Quicktime on people's docks... WHY?! I can't think of a single reason to open quicktime on its own. Sure, I use Quicktime often to view movies, but I always open the movie (which opens quicktime).

In conclusion - what's the point of having quicktime on your dock?!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I used to remove it, but, now that I use it all of the time to record meetings at work, I put it back. Otherwise, yes, I'd agree that few people need it there.

3. peterparker macrumors regular

peterparker

Nope for me. For most it is probably just there because it is the default set of applications on the dock.

4. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

That's what I figure, but it drives me crazy that not everyone wants to economize their screen space. Maybe I just need to chill out.

and btw, JSW - I had no idea that quicktime could record movies and audio! that's a pretty sweet feature, MacRumors teaches me something new every day...

5. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's a Pro option, but very, very handy. I'm now the semi-official meeting archivist at work. I have an iSight in the MBP, but keep a separate iSight and FW cable for use in meetings.

7. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

i do have QT in my dock. quick conversions...and next to it is VLC in the case that a file does not like QT.:)

8. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

it's a pretty blue icon.

9. encro macrumors 6502

encro

I don't put them in the dock, but I do put them at the top of finder windows (alongside Preview, VLC and flipformac). Just because its appropriate/quicker to drop on the right app needed at the time rather than clicking for the assigned file type.

window.jpg

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree. Half the icons in my Dock are unused and half the apps I use are not dwelling within my Dock... I'm a sucker for a pretty screen.

11. zorg macrumors regular

I have it on my dock because I like it. With all the video codecs I have for quicktime, I never will have to use VLC or mplayer again!

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Nope, as you can see, it is nowhere to be seen. If I ever play a movie which needs it, I just open the movie itself and let QT launch automatically. Otherwise, I never use it. I don't have QT Pro either.

[​IMG]

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have it down there so that I can drop files onto it if I don't want to open them in VLC.

14. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

15. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Sometimes people host a Quicktime movie and don't let you download it. So if I want it, I look at the page's source, find the link to the .mov file. Then I open quicktime, press "control + U" and, paste the link in there. It opens it in a new screen, and I can save it.

I know it's wrong to take videos people don't want me to have, but eh. They're not copyrighted, and I say they weren't really trying if it can be circumvented that easily. And if something has to download onto my computer...I consider it mine.

16. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Thats the same with me. Also, as others have mentioned, its a pretty cool icon ;) :cool:.

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I used to have them next to each other, but they got in too many fights, so I had to separate them with Preview.

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

not for me

i like my dock as simple as possible

19. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

favorite icon is the Automator icon and i don't really know how to use automator. (except i did make one successful workflow!) (with 2 actions!)

20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i don't.... i'm spoiled and use spotlight to find apps that aren't on my dock or i'm too lazy to move the mouse...i love command spacebar..

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

This thread has inspired me to remove it. :)

Here goes... *holds breath hoping something catastrophic doesn't happen*

22. steelfist macrumors 6502a

fights? is that possible? :confused:

23. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I have mine in the Dock, so I can drag & drop media files (like MP3s I dont want to copy to iTunes) to play. Some conversions also :)

[​IMG]

24. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Mine's in there because I never quit it. I'm not sure if it would stay or go if I closed it. That way movies load pretty much instantaneously. Same thing with leaving iCal, Address Book, iTunes, Safari, MS Word, PS Elements, iPhoto... I just never quit them.

25. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I do. Not exactly sure why but I used to use it to record some podcasts... but with iLife 06 not really necessary.