Do you have screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by AppleHater, Jun 19, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2010
    Do you use screen protector for your iPad? I am not currently trusting the anti-scratch coating, but not sure.
  2. macrumors 68040

Apr 9, 2010
    I'm not. I had one on temporarily, but I didn't like the feel of the protector nor did I care for how it reduced the sharpness of the image on the screen.

I use a folio case (Macally Bookstand) to protect the screen when not in use.
  3. macrumors regular

May 10, 2010
    What anti-scratch coating? The screen is glass with an oleophobic coating.

The glass screen won't scratch easily under normal use (unless, perhaps, if used in a rock quarry).

I use no screen protector and haven't had any problems. However, I'd recommend a case to protect the whole iPad and screen from damage. The Apple case is nice but a bit pricey.
  4. macrumors 65816

May 23, 2010
    "me too neither"

Just agreeing with a previous post. I did have one for 1 day, but like the look and feel so much better without that I am going naked. I do have a couple of folio style cases on order which will help.
  5. macrumors 6502

May 22, 2010
    I don't use a screen protector , because i think it will reduce the sensitivity a bit, also the screen is scratch-resistant AFAIK
  6. macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2009
    Not yet
    Let it be known that the glass cannot be scratched easily, but the oleophobic coating can scratch very easily, and over time it can rub off leaving a very nasty looking screen
    Power support makes very good screen protectors, they don't affect sensitivity or viewing capabilities and its static cling so its very easy to put on
  7. macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2009
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2009
    I received and applied the power support anti-glare film today. I love it. I have one on my iPhone as well and now wouldn't use either without.

No reduction in screen responsiveness and I find it easier to use
  9. macrumors regular

Nov 10, 2009
    Elk Grove, CA
    I don't. I have one on my iPhone 3GS and don't like the way it has turned out over time. At first I got it for peace of mind to prevent scratches. If I had to do it all over again, I would not apply the protector, just naked like I have the rest of it.
  10. macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2007
    I use and like the Power Support anti glare on my iPhone, but I don't use a screen protector on my iPad. I di have it in an Apple case, but I wasn't worried before I got the case anyway. The iPad doesn't get shoved in my pocketful of coins and keys.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

May 9, 2008
    I used a screen protector once on an iPod, but I now prefer to go without on my iPhones and now, iPad. I think SPs are a waste of money, and have had no issues with my screens going without one.

12. macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    I had an anti-glare one on my iPhone and recently remove it after almost 2 years. Frankly, I prefer the protector on it and want to put a new one on. I have the Zagg one on my iPad and it's decent. It's a quirky feel, but I've gotten used to it. I still prefer the anti-glare ones to the straight protectors personally.
  13. macrumors member

Jul 2, 2009
    I use one and I find it does not hamper the sensitivity of the screen at all, I think it does cut down on the glare in sunlight a little. I only use it for the extra peace mind it gives (imagined?) not for any other reason really.

I reviewed it at
  14. macrumors 65816

Feb 29, 2008
    I'm in an Apple store using an iPad that has been used and abused by the public for months. No protection no marks.

Really what is the point of protective film? When it's on you can't even see the fingerprints!
  15. macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

May 23, 2010
    One of the reasons for purchasing my iPad was the crystal clear display. I certainly don't want to do anything to detract from that.
  16. macrumors member

May 14, 2007
    I use a screen protector. Not to protect the screen though. I couldn't stand the amount of glare and fingerprints. The screen protector took care of both problems.
  17. macrumors member

Aug 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Power support anti glare here on my iPad and iPhone...I actually find it easier to swipe my finger with the protector on. Without the protector sometimes my finger would almost like stick while scrolling fast. I also like how fingerprints don't show up as much with the protector.
  18. macrumors 68000

May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I use the Power Support on my iPad and like it. It has a very small rainbow effect, but not enough to notice unless you look for it.

I have used Zagg in the past on my iPhone, but now that I see the Power Support, I really notice the orange-peel on the Zagg.

I have one from Wrapsol and one from Power Support on order. I will be ordering the SGP Steinheil EX Ultra Crystal as soon as it comes available. It is scheduled to be in stock June 24. We'll see about that.

Why? I just wanted to see the differences. Everyone has an opinion on which is best, so I wanted to try them for myself.
  19. macrumors 6502a

Oct 10, 2007
    Bristol, UK
    Apple case and nothing else. Fingerprints easily wipe off with a microfiber cloth. A bit of glare but nothing I can't live with.

My 1st gen Touch has never had a screen protector only a Vaja holster for the back And there is not a mark on it.
  20. macrumors 6502

Apr 22, 2009
    explain please?

21. macrumors 68000

May 3, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Just as it sounds. Instead of having a very smooth surface, it is very bumpy looking.

I found a nice review with good pics of the orange peel effect here.

I don't mind the increased drag - in fact I kinda like it - but the orange peel is starting to get to me.
  22. macrumors regular

May 28, 2010
    No chance.. I paid to use this device not keep it perfect for resale... I don't have car seat covers either.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 9, 2010
    Your comment reminds me of people buying carpet guard for cars.
  24. macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2007
    I have a Power Support antiglare protector, and I love it. No more mirror effect. On a screen as large as the iPad, that's important. To me.
  25. macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2010

I have a 10 year old GPS, with a plastic screen that was never protected. It still looks fine.

There is no need to protect the screen.

The only reason I can see to get a "protector" is to change it from a glossy screen to a matte screen (but I wouldn't bother with that either).