Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Just got the daughter a 4G touch for Xmas. I want it all setup when she opens up, so want o put music and apps on it, whichI already have from my iPhone 4.

So do you have to charge it overnight for its first charge? If I charge now, without touching it till Xmas day will it still be charged for opening on Xmas day

cheers

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
As long as it is in 'sleep', the battery will last for days before decreasing enough to show a drop on the battery indicator. Charging it over night will be more than long enough, but you should really consider calibrating it for her instead. That way, she will not have to worry about that and get peak battery life.

Good luck!

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
As long as it is in 'sleep', the battery will last for days before decreasing enough to show a drop on the battery indicator. Charging it over night will be more than long enough, but you should really consider calibrating it for her instead. That way, she will not have to worry about that and get peak battery life.

Good luck!
Thanks I intend to completely power off once I've set it up till Xmas day.

So your saying the 21st charge out of box, I should charge overnight?

Also how do I calibrate the battery please?

cheers

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
Thanks I intend to completely power off once I've set it up till Xmas day.

So your saying the 21st charge out of box, I should charge overnight?

Also how do I calibrate the battery please?

cheers

I recommend you start sooner. Like today. Calibrate the battery (see below), and you can top off the battery the 24th. And you are right, turning it completely off is probably the best idea.

Calibrating the battery is a snap. Just sync something (most easily done with a movie file) turn the brightness to full, and play the movie over and over until the iPod's battery gets so low it shuts itself off (as in you need to completely drain the battery). Then plug it in and let it charge uninterrupted, preferably over night. Don't unplug it part way through the recharge or you will need to start over.

When you are done, turn the brightness back down, then turn it off and pack it up, and wrap it!

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Ah yes, battery voodoo.

1. Charging it to max (which is probably what, 3-4 hours?), leaving it plugged in after that an hour, 5 hours, 2 weeks.. it's all going to be the same. Once it's fully charged you can unplug it.

2. There's no need to do anything. Obviously with a phone you'll want to have a full charge on hand when you go to use it, so you might as well charge it 100% (but if you're really excited or whatever, it's not going to hurt the battery to use it).

Seriously, it doesn't matter that much, just do not - I repeat ESPECIALLY WITH APPLE PRODUCTS, do not leave it sitting with no charge for an extended period of time. Every time I've done that with my Apple laptops it killed the battery (twice, and I'm never doing it again lol).

A few hours? No big deal. Just don't leave your 'dead' phone sitting around for weeks on end hehe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.