Do you keep PB's BT and Airport Card on at all times?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by YS2003, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I usually keep the BT on for my 12" PB as I use the BT mouse/keyboard to wake my PB. If you keep BT and Airport Card on (pre-installed ones) while PB is on or sleep, does it cause premature wear and tear on BT and Airport Card?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I turn my Bluetooth off at all times because I don't use it. I think you'll get better battery when its off.

I almost always keep my Airport on. Unless:
    1. I have the ethernet plugged in.
    2. I'll be in an area for a while that doesn't have wireless. I'm positive turning the airport off improves battery.

When asleep, I think both cards do not get power. Thus essentially they are off.

3. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

Mine are on all the time. I use my PB everyday both at home (connected to external LCD, BT mouse/kb, WiFi) and at campus (wifi) and it would be a hassel to keep turning on and off BT everyday.

To the above poster: if BT is off during sleep mode, how does my BT kb/mouse wake it up during sleep?

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Point taken. :eek: Again, I don't use bluetooth. If I used it at all, I'd probably keep it on though.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Darn it, I can't find the site right now, I'll look for it and update this post if I can find it later, but Apple does say that turning off BT and AP DOES lessen battery drain. Seeing as I never use BT I also keep that off at all times and I will manually switch AP off if I know I won't be browsing.

::Edit:: Found the site! Here it is. They're the last two bullets at the bottom of the page.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I remembered reading that too so if I'm on battery power, my Bluetooth and Airport are likely to be off (unless of course I'm in hotspot range).

The only time I tend to have Bluetooth on (unless specifically transferring stuff from the phone) is when I'm charging the mobile in the kitchen so that I can reply to texts from the living room and know whether it's worthwhile charging through to answer it if it rings.

As far as the wake from sleep goes, isn't that dependent on what you have checked in System Preferences? If you have it checked not to wake on BT device, then I'd imagine there's no BT power when the Mac's asleep.

Incidentally, I read a report recently about thieves targeting laptops left in car boots (trunks) by browsing for Bluetooth devices in parking lots and seeing what/if anything woke up.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

:eek: That is positively evil... and clever. I am both impressed and horrified. Glad I don't use BT at all. Or keep my PB in my car.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

People can also steal your info though BT. This mostly has happened with PDAs and Phones, but I don't see why you can't do to a laptop. (Don't pay any attention to the fact that OS X is hard as hell to hack).

9. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Well, because in any non-flawed Bluetooth implementation a connection requires confirmation from the device. So either those phones have brain-dead BT implementations, or not-too-bright owners that click "okay" to unexpected requests. :D

Of course I'm not accounting for unexpected security holes, which certainly can happen.

I leave BT on my laptop all the time, but I turn it off on my phone unless I'm using the connection (iSync). I've seen the battery on my phone drain in less than 8 hours when I've accidentally left BT on and had the phone within range of my laptop. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.