Do you keep your Apple packaging?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dcv, Sep 14, 2005.

1. dcv
    macrumors G3

Walking down my street yesterday, I noticed the packaging from a PowerBook on the pavement. I was horrified! *sacrilege*

I keep the boxes from all my Apple stuff because they look pretty and also because one day i might sell the item(s) and therefore need some proper packaging... plus hopefully having all the original bits would add a little to resale value. Am i just being a hoarder or do you keep yours too?

2. Moderator emeritus

No. I just don't have the space in my flat nor the inclination to clutter up the place with boxes. They usually are very nice boxes though...

3. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We discussed Apple's great packaging recently, and there are a lot of fans around here – apparently, some even like to sniff the boxes but the less said about that the better... ;)

4. dcv
    thread starter macrumors G3

oooh slap my wrists then. sorry, i never saw that thread!

umm, sniffing... really...? :confused:

5. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yes, my loft looks like an Apple warehouse.... :D

I have boxes for my iPods, PowerBook, eMac, printer, scanner and a stack of miscellaneous audio hardware boxes and flightcases. They are very useful for shipping and moving.

6. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Apparently so – iGary was one of the chief culprits if memory serves...

I do have a couple of boxes knocking about in the spare room, mainly because they come in useful when I move. And the point you make about having the original packaging should you come to sell your Mac is a good one – so I won't go slapping any wrists, just this once. :D

7. macrumors 68040

MattG

Yep, I keep my Apple packaging. I even kept the box for the keyboard I purchased for my Mini! I just use the spare bedroom closet.

I also like to keep the stuff so when Apple introduces something fantastic that I want to buy, I can sell my old equipment in the original packaging.

8. Guest

iGary

Damned right...

Actually a freelancer from Wired e-mailed me and they are doing a story on it!

I took the pictures for the article. :D

9. macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i too keep my apple packaging. here's the current inventory:
    boxes for:
    powerbook 15"
    ipod photo 30GB
    ipod mini green 4GB
    wireless keyboard
    mighty mouse
    ipod headphones and remote
    ipod in ear headphones
    ipod dock

i also have:
    apple bag from regent street store :eek:

tearfully departed with:
    ipod 3G 15GB box, and the ipod:D

i also keep boxes from non-apple branded stuff, its useful for moving stuff about and storage.

i guess you clould call me a hoarder!!!:eek:

maybe i should create a shrine.... :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 601

eXan

I keep all the boxes

11. macrumors member

I am keeping the packaging in case I sell it sometime. I keep boxes just in case, but I do have lots of room for storage. Funnily enough I still have sturdy boxes from products that ended up in the dustbin eons ago, and yet spend a fortune buying boxes at the post office on the grounds that they are the right size for sending by post!!!

12. macrumors 6502a

stevietheb

Since I'm a student, I move quite often. I can't imagine moving my iMac G5 without the packaging...it would just be too awkward/scary. I have a closet devoted to packaging from various electronics (ironically...it's the largest closet in my apt...and it's barely large enough, in terms of width, to fit the iMac packaging...I need to move!).

13. macrumors regular

I kept the packaging on my iMac G5 and my iBook G3. I replaced my iBook G3 with an iBook G4 (warranty issues) and threw away the G4's box. So, if I needed to sell my iBook G4, I suppose I could put it in an iBook G3's box... what a surprise to someone when they open it up and see the precious G4....

14. macrumors regular

Yes, I do keep mine. As the original poster said, I may one day sell the items, and therefore would get a better price (buyer would assume items are in great condition if one's anal enough to keep the original packaging :D ).

15. macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Yes I do. I sell my Macs/iPods and upgrade about once a year and keeping the packaging really seems to help me sell them.

16. dcv
    thread starter macrumors G3

I was just asking since I have little, well in fact NO real storage space in my flat. I live on the top floor in what was originally the loft space, so obviously I have no loft, don't have any eaves/understairs cupboards either. At the moment the built-in wardrobe in the spare bedroom is my only storage space. In my previous flat I had a huge understairs cupboard and stored boxes for absolutely everything in there. But no such luxury here! After i moved into this place i threw away ALL the packaging. But i'm starting to collect boxes again. The Apple stuff is too nice to throw out and a PowerBook is one of those things that i'll probably want to upgrade in 2-3 years time so thought it was worth holding onto the box.

17. macrumors 6502a

I keep the packaging for transport purposes on the large items. Plus it comes in handy on the $#@! G5 iMac that has had two hard drives die in the first 5 months of its life both requiring a trip back to the Apple Store. (You never realize how heavy that small thing is until you have to lug it around a mall. Glad my G5 has never had an issue.)

To put it in perspective I keep most of my boxes from eletronics (spare bedroom closet) so apple is not singled out for honor.

18. macrumors 68000

i keep all my packaging for pretty much any big ticket items i buy.

19. TBi
    macrumors 68030

TBi

I keep all my boxes including boxes from stuff my friends bought and i set up for them :)

20. macrumors 6502a

Verto

I kept the box for my iMac, along with the styrofoam, so that when I move I can be assured of reasonable protection. Unfortunately, the box is not useful for anything besides that, as Apple shipped it in just that white box (no cardboard "shell") so it is pitted and dirtied. Plus I had to cut out the serial number etc for the rebate promo.

Rest assured, when I buy a new computer (maybe an iBook next year, maybe a little later) I will buy it from the Apple store near here, and not from online.

21. macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, I do indeed keep the boxes/packaging from Apple.

Current inventory-
    1) iPod Mini Box
    2) Power Mac G5 Box

22. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I keep (nearly) all boxes for at least as long as the warranty of the device that came in it lasts. That way I can use the original packing (which should give the best fit for transportation) if I have to send it in for repairs and/or replacement.

This was an advantage when I had to change the motherboard of my old Pismo after a lightning induced power surge, I just found the old "suitcase" box and took it to the nearest service provider which had to send it around Europe to get it fixed, I know it at least was in Holland and Ireland... :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 68020

killuminati

I keep most of the boxes. I have the boxes for:

15" Powerbook
    17" iMac G5
    Blue iPod Mini
    Airport Expresssss

24. macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I keep all of the boxes, and since I got my first mac in Feb. (PB), I am going to wrap it up in the original box along with my pod box, keyboard box, mouse box, dock box, icurve box, harmon/kardon box, belkin router box and radtech box for Christmas and it will be just like getting a whole new setup.
    :D

25. macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I have most of the boxes from the stuff that I've bought as well as the boxes from the computer my sister bought. Here's the list:

iMac G4
    iBook G4
    iPod 2G
    Powerbook G4 (Titanium)
    Apple Wireless Keyboard

I did toss the box my Power Mac G5 came in though, because it was a refurbished computer and just came in a brown box...the saddest part about buying a refurbished computer, really. :)

My sis is thinking about upgrading to a iMac...I told her I'd help her pick it out, only if I could have the box. :)