Do You Know How To Play Video Games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Macamus Prime, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Just wondering, how many people out there know and understand how to play video games?

What I mean is, if you are playing a racing game, do you hold the UP button - whereas all you need to do is hold the X button (or whatever the gas pedal is) to go foward? Do you have the SAME armor your character started with at the beginning of the game, towards the end of the game when you could have easily upgraded many times before? If you are playing a platform jumping game, do you pull the controller UP above your head in hopes that somehow your character will jump just a bit higher?

There are plenty of people out there that just don't know how to play games. Take World Of Warcraft for example. I was doing Deadmines a few weeks ago. We had a preist, 2 paladins and 2 warriors. Deadmines has "runners". These are enemies that when they reach low HP, they run to the nearest enemy and call them into the fight. The best way to defeat them is to slow them down and take them out. If you don't slow them down, you will be swamped with enemies. I was one of the 2 paladins. Stun does a good job, but it lasts 3 seconds and has a 1 minute cooldown (Im level 19). So, the 1 warriors SHOULD hamstring them, given that hamstring slows the enemy down, just enough for ALL of us to pound him and prevent him from pulling in more of his buddies. Not in this case. Every single enemy we hit, would drop to low HP levels, run off, get some of his buddies, they would all come back and kill us - EVERYTIME.

Now, I am not an expert. However, I will READ any info presented to me in the game and take it from there. Every ability in WoW has a description. If you read it and THINK, you'll say: "Yes, this may come in handy, I'LL TAKE IT!!" Even games like Metal Gear, Resident Evil & Castlevania. Info is provided. I take it upon myself to look at everything in the game. If ingame provides no info (which is rare) I will read outside sources. Like the internet.

I am not screaming: "n00bs sux teh big one!!!11111" or telling anyone how to play their game, but certain situations have NO other way around them. Meaning, don't pull the controller over your head in hopes of making your character jump just a bit higher, don't hold UP when all you have to do is hold X and please please please get hamstring if you are a warrior on WoW.

Thank you.

2. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

btw are you playing the game with the mac? does it run good at the native resolution of the screen and at with what details?

3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    I've got to be honest and say, based on your description, that I stopped knowing how to play video games around 1992. Not to say I won't try, though... :eek:

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

There are a lot of people who just don't know what a game is. Actually (and I am telling the truth about that), due to my talent in games, and computers in general, I have seen stupidity and lack of common sense beyond imagination.

And I am not kidding.

You see, I'm only 19 years old, but I believe I am one of the unlucky people who will always encounter a person who will tell me: "You know, I am a very good player, too. I know everything about... fps games" or stuff like that.

Some believe that they are good players just because they finish a game at "easy" difficulty. Or they play, lets say... Halo, Doom and Unreal, and they think they know everything about FPS. And you ask them about Castle Wolfenstein (the old one, the one that came out approx. ten years ago) and they think you came down from Mars.

These are the same people who can't use properly the second trigger using the mouse, or when a monster tries to hit them, they stand still trying to find their target, while the monster rips them off.

Look, I don't have anything personal against noobs. But I just hate it when a person who really doesn't know a thing tries to tell you that he knows some things about a game or an entire kind of games.

For me, there are 2 kinds of noobs. 1)Those who accept they need to practise. And they are the only ones that will eventually be able players. 2)Those who think gaming is just a show off, and try to show their inexistent skills to anyone who they find is better than them. For them, there is no chance they will be good players unless they realize they are not!

And, since the topic starter asked, yes, I concider myself a good gamer. I know in what game I am good, and in what I am not. I play games since I was at the age of 8. But although I have played MANY games (in many kinds of platforms) I always read all the info, always I see every aspect of the game, I always finish the game more than one time, I never get incolved with the "easy" difficulty, and I never leave a game if I haven't played it online first.

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

That's just silly, are there really newbies out there who think that? Yeah, I guess there probably are... :rolleyes: While being a "good player" is somewhat relative, to me you really have to master the game on the most difficult setting (the one the programmers all sat around snickering and said "let them try and get through THIS!") to even begin having any real bragging rights. And then you take your game to online multiplayer and get your ass handed to you all over again. :D

6. brap macrumors 68000

7. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

why is every game you talk about in your second post FPS o_O i hate FPS aside from Metroid Prime. I am all about the Zelda, Mario, Star Fox, and damn straight Animal Crossing ><!!!!, and apparently to your description i have never known how to play video games in my entire life and i am also 19 years old T_T.

i must be stupid by your opinion *cries*

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

WoW can be a pretty complicated game for those who don't "get" it.. so I'd give him a break. Maybe he never trained hammy? Besides.. your DM party wasn't really optimal.. 1 healer, 2 semi-healers/semi-tanks, and 2 tanks? Where's the rogue/mage damage dealers?

9. Schmittroth macrumors regular

Schmittroth

I'm an experinced gamer to say the least. I can hold my own in most shooters and I can pick up and RTS with some practice but there are some genres that are just beyond me.

I picked up an Xbox for Halo 2 (very excited about the new weapons balance) and I've tried to pick up some games to round out my tastes and so when friends come over we have some cool choices. It became very apparent to me that I was just a noob when it came to console games. I picked up the shooters just fine (halo, SW Battlefront, Max Payne2), but when I tried driving (simpsons hit&run, Burnout3), sports (madden) and fighting games (Dead or Alive) my thumbs and brain just didn't seem to be functioning. I've made some progress with the driving games but everything else just stumps me. I get so frustrated at being able to complete some games so quickly and then not being able to do the simplest comands in others. I mean it's the same controller how can I just not get some games so badly?

Oh and then there's the guy who beat Super Mario Bros. 3 in 13 minutes. Was he really good or maybe a programmer? If you haven't seen it yet check this out http://www.ebaumsworld.com/smb3beat-r.html

10. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I remember the original Wolfenstein, what a game.
    Hours wasted on that...

Anyway. I get murdered in Americas Army. I've got better in the 9 months I've been playing it, in that it takes longer for me to get murdered now.

AppleMatt

11. jasylonian macrumors regular

in the case of the deadmines, i'm thinking that you had a party full of people who were blowing it. the warriors should have definitely been hamstringing, but your priest might not be faultless. if your priest has a shadow build and mind flay (which is usually how low level priests go), he becomes the one that should be catching the runners. pain spells should probably be cast as soon as enemies have been sufficiently aggro'd by someone else and effective use of mind flay will put an end to all runners. that's just my opinion though. if anybody thinks differently, i'd like to hear it.

12. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

too bad you didn't have a shaman. drop an earthbind totem and forget runners, nobody is going anywhere =P.

alternative to shaman ownage = find decent alliance players, if that fails, follow all other alliance and just increase your # of players :confused: :p

13. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

HMM...

That, or just use the name "I'm an elitist ass, so don't approach me if you play games for FUN..."

That way they will know to piss off.

jesus, everyone has to learn. maybe the guys you were playing with have never done MMPORPG. Did you bother to share their mistakes with them afterwards?

people like you ruin it for noobs who may otherwise really take to the game and become valuable team members for someone else.

be more constructive. less pompous.

Nevermind

14. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

I haven't tried WoW, but when i have a good paying job, maybe. But when it comes to racing games, It's all about drifting baby! holding the X button is good I guess for acceleration, but drifting is a fine art, requiring you to press the breaks at the right time, hitting the accelerator at the right time, putting in the correct amount of counter-steer, getting the rear tires back from skidding...

I'm waaay to interested in Gran Turismo 3... can't wait to go to my local game store to get GT4!!!!!!!!

15. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yeah, I agree totally dude. Those n00b gamers who say things like "the old Castle Wolfenstein that came out ten years ago", as if they knew what they were talking about, failing utterly to realize that they're actually talking about Wolfenstein 3D, which is not at all the same game as Castle Wolfenstein, which was released considerably more than ten years ago. We're talking Castle Wolfenstein on the Apple II and Commodore 64 (maybe a few others too) in the earlyish 80s here, now THAT was a real game. But those annoying n00b gamers don't even know about it, they think Wolfenstein 3D was "the" old Wolfenstein game...heck, they weren't even born when the real Castle Wolfenstein was released!

So yeah, annoying smug n00b know-it-all gamers are just, well, annoying, aren't they? They suxxor!!!!11!!11 (Or whatever it is that kids say these days.) Bah.

--Eric

P.S. One's tongue must be held firmly in one's cheek here, just as a reminder for those of you who routinely fail to pick up on subtle witticisms without the aid of those newfangled and unnecessary "smiley" thingies.....

16. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I consider myself a good UT2004 player, because I can beat Xan (with default attributes) @ GODLIKE in 1on1 match with the score of 20 (me) and -1 (Xan). Not bad, eh? Well, that was once... But my avarage game with Xan ends up with scores 10 (me) and 1 or 2 (Xan)

I also was pretty good in 4x4 Evolution (1 and 2), but now those killer guys in multiplayer beat me... Oh and I always use career LX470 or Durango (wisely tuned oc course ;) while they use downloaded killer trucks)

18. Macamus Prime thread starter macrumors regular

Whoops, seems I forgot one peice of imformation.

I requested these 2 warriors hamstring the enemies a few times. I got NO answer. Meaning, they did not train in it (or maybe did and never bothered bringing it onto their hotbar). Now, the 1st time I asked for it, they should have said: "We don't have it". I would have left the group, gone outside and looked for someone else.

Yes, these are just video games. However, it is very frustrating to deal with people like this in such situations. If you can't do something, say it. I would prefer for you to tell me you don't know how to do something than pretend you do. Thats the issue here. In solo game play as you wish. But, if you carry that mentality in a multiplayer setting, your game experience will be horrible. For you because no one will want to play with you and someone with a short temper may go off on you.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm old enough to have been around when Space Invaders first hit the scene...and have been playing them all my life. I've met people who never played or had difficulty, but not that many recently.

Aside from the gender issue.... :p

D

20. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I talk about fps because I just like them more than any other kind. I mentioned examples of FPS situations because that is the kind of games I am most interested in.
    Your post is WAY off topic. I didn't say that anyone who doesn't play fps is a noob. Read carefully my post, and do not lose your temper like that.

If you really feel stupid, sorry, I can't help you.

21. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

The problem is compounded with a microphone. My pet peeve in UT2004 is the noob who talks ***** the entire time, then gets 3 kills.

Also, there are some elitists that annoy me. I never joined a clan, but I love owning other people's clans (in UT2004). Once it was me and seven random guys, and we dominated a clan of 8. After I put up over 100 kills in onslaught, they booted me (no spawn killing either). Their best player had 60.

22. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

You just perfectly described Halo 2.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

dude you should have got the priest to use shdow word pain on the runners then everyone long ranges him while the preist uses starshards, no way can they call there friends then.

mordeci: lvl 23 priest with all blue items :p

also on the subject of talking in games, in halo 2 it's vital for winning team games, you need to work as a team not everyone silently seperate out and get slaughtered as they try to grab flags/plant bombs.

24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Whats wrong with it....

I say get into the game jerk the controller over your head mash the controller into a pulp and scream and your friends.

No reason to be soooo serius it is just again.

PS:When malaying people in halo I always try to hit them with my controller :D

25. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

ah the button basher, reminds me of the days of soul caliber and my epic first to 100 wins 2 round per win battle which ended 98-102 me first :D, i used ivy they used nightmare.

button basher with soul edge Vs skillfull whip user.