do you know of any reverse switchers?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Aug 10, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

we all know of people who switched from pcs to macs?

how about the other way around? i know this sounds bad, but some people do this

when i was working at office depot in 1999, this first time college student bought a compaq presario 1235 laptop from me...it had 32 MB of RAM with limit of 160, 2 MB video card, 4.2 gigs of hard drive space, and a 12.1" inch passive matrix screen

he was replacing his G3 233 desktop with 15" crt monitor

his reasoning is that he wanted the portability and the dorms at the college had hookup for laptops

he used photoshop 4 on his mac, and was going to buy photoshop 5.5 for his new pc

2. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Man...

Photoshop must have screamed on that PeeCee:eek: :p :D

3. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Jeff, just visit this site after a macworld. you will see many would-be-switchers. Are they for real? I dont know.

I will say that I spent some time in Best Buy yesterday looking at the OS upgrade options for my intel box (XP home or professional).

I dont know that we can define reverse-switching easily. switching from pcs to mac is easily defined..... a pc-only owner buys a mac. But what about the reverse switching? Take me for example. I am a mac guy who switched about 1.5 years ago. I own a pc, and I want to upgrade its os. I may buy another pc (for gaming). Will this constitute a switch?

So Jeff, what constitutes a switch back?

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Reverse Switch

I am both a Mac User and a PC user. My parents own an authorized apple dealer so i have been around my macs all my life. I love the mac and probably wouldnt change it for anything. But just recently i just built a new PC and i love it. 2ghz p4 with 5.1 surround sound and all those other goodies. I got it so i could play games and it has been good so far. I think i like it more than my powerbook right now is that i can do more with it. but i think that will change once i get my new powermacs that ive been told come out the 24th. anyways. long live the mac.

iJon

5. benjaminpg macrumors regular

I know someone who recently bought two Dell laptops, one for home to replace a PowerMac 6400/225, i think. Part of the reason was they were moving to Japan, and he thought the support would be better. He also wants better compatibility with PCs.

6. aznatari macrumors member

I don't know of anyone right now who are switching from Mac to PC. Mac is at its acme right now and there is no point for those much anticipated Mac users to switch to the PC platform. I am both a PC and Mac user who uses both machines at ease. I prefer the mac because of its new stability level (Mac OS X), and also i love its new sleek designs like the new iMac and the iPod. The bottom line is that if there are people switching from Mac to PC at this very moment, they're doing something they will in the future regret.

atari

7. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i guess as long as someone still has a mac they use, they are a mac user, if only part-time

i spend 25 percent on my pc and 75 percent on my mac

if i could run all my pc software related to my pc repair business on my mac, i wouldn't have a pc at all;)

8. aristademis macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G3 and was very close to switching a week or two ago when the hard drive broke and Apple's customer service were being jerks about it. But, being rational, I'm keeping Macs around until PCs get better graphic performance and Windows gets better than Mac OSs. I am thinking about biulding a PC for fun and to play games on, though.

9. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

dont hold your breath ;)
    you will be waiting a lonnnnng time

10. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

my friends built me a PC for games and downloading but I don't think I'll ever switch to PC. all the features that I took granted were shown to me the minute I turned on the pc....

11. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I have to admit that I was tempted to the dark side about 4 years ago because I was young and brash (and I wanted to play lots of games):rolleyes:
    Since then, this piece of junk has broken down twice, requiring me to replace/upgrade the processor once, the motherboard twice and it has driven me nuts. Overall, in the 4 years I've owned this thing, I've spent $3000CAN = $1900US for the purchase and the repairs.

Overall, the price wasn't TOO bad, but I spent more hours fixing it up and reinstalling windows than I ever imagined.

Suffice it to say that my next computer will be a powerbook or an ibook so I guess I'll be a reverse switcher switching back :D

12. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

I'm flirting with the fence...

Recently bought a used renderfarm box from a certain VFX studio here in Los Angeles. It was a decent price, and the machine was apparently only a few months old. It's either got a 1.5 or 1.8GHz Athlon in it. Not sure which, but either is nothing to sneeze at.

This past weekend I went out and bought a GF3 Ti500, 512MB Kingston DDR-RAM, a DVD/CD-ROM drive, ordered a 3-button mouse which I'm still waiting on and a copy of WinXP Pro, which was marked down about 40%.

The total cost has been about $1,050. Not too shabby. It will be used for studying 3D apps not available for the Mac, like Softimage, Houdini, Max, and Maya Unlimited, and maybe some other purposes that I discover over time.

Am I "switching"? No. Am I testing the waters for switching? Yes. If I enjoy my experiences, and Apple hasn't gotten competitive in the performance department, it might happen.