DO you leave you printer on at home?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rocko918, Mar 17, 2005.

1. rocko918 macrumors member

I have a epson stylus c86 and was wondering if you guys leave your printers on. I only turn it on when i need to print some thing. Does that hurt the life of the printer?

thanks

2. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I leave all three of my printers on all the time. Never really thought about it potentially being bad for them. Not sure it matters all that much, does it?

Why does anyone even need three printers? First one is an HP OfficeJet D135, one of those print/scan/copy/fax things. Handy to have around. Then I decided I really needed the ability to print directly on CD and DVD media, so I got an Epson SC 900. When I got my PowerBook last year, it came with a free HP 5150. I hooked that up to the Airport Express for convenient wireless printing.
    I repeat: Why does anyone even need three printers? :rolleyes: :D

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I leave my Brother HL-1435 Laser Printer on all the time. Its on 24-7. When its not in use for like 5 minutes to goes into sleep mode so everything shuts down until a print job is sent to it.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I have that as my school printer, not bad, does the job well and fast. (Got it when i also got my pb)
    At home i have an HP photosmart 7960 (i believe) for photos etc
    I leave them on all the time 24/7

5. Bear macrumors G3

On the Epson C86, you need to turn it off if you're not using it for a couple of days. If you're using it every day, you can leave it on.

Every time you turn the C86 on, it uses up a little ink.

Due to the ink wastage, I recommend not power cycling the printer more than once a day in most cases.

I treat both my Epson printers this way (C86, 2200) and haven't had any head clogging problems, so I haven't had to run the head cleaning routines on either. The 2200 is about 17 months old. The C86 is a few months old.

6. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

if you have an inkjet, and you don't use it often, leaving it on can dry up the ink. So i'm told by my epson rep.

7. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

I leave my HP Photosmart 7960 on all the time. It goes into sleep mode when it isn't active and springs to life when needed. It is never turned off unless there is a problem connecting to the computer. I see in no way how this would harm the printer...

8. rocko918 thread starter macrumors member

IT is not used everyday so i guess leaving it off it the best suggestion.

thanks guys!!!

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I turn mine off when its not in use. Uses less energy that way, and the lights bother me when I try to sleep at night.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I hate the way that inkjets dry up after a while. My Epson Stylus 880 is pretty good about it, but I've had issue in the past. I did not leave my printers on un til fairly recently. Nowadays I have a an HP Laserjet 4 that lives on a shelf with the Epson and my old (Lime :D ) iMac which shares the inkjet. No problems for about a yer, although we go through ink cartridges quickly.

Laser printers like mine are designed for high throughput and being left on, but inkjets aren't as robust.

11. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i have an HP Laserjet4 as well
    but i turn it off whenever i don't have to use it..these old heavy bricks use to much energy ... and hate all those leds computer hardware somehow always "needs"

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I always turn my HP printer off when its not in use. Never thought about longevity, but to save energy. I only print something two or three times a week.

13. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I find turning a printer on and off uses up more ink. So I will leave it on for at least 24 hours until the next time I need to use it. Otherwise if I don't use it for several days or weeks I just turn it off after 24 hours of use.

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i leave my deskjet on 24/7.

i really doubt leaving inkjets on increases the ink drying... i think it probably dries the same either way, once you install the cartridge. But yeah, turning it on/off does usually bleed the jets, which while good to do uses ink.

15. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I leave my HP Laserjet 1015 on all the time. Turning it off would defeat the purpose of having it tucked away in the wall unit via Airport Express.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you don't use the printer all the time and leave it on, you'll pay for it in a higher energy bill.

Those energy bleeding devices called power bricks scattered around the house take their toll, when you add all of them up.

17. beg_ne macrumors 6502

My Canon i450 has some options that lets it Sleep and Wake up automatically, I haven't looked in a while but it was buried somewhere in the printers preferences.

Pretty cool even though I don't use the feature very often. As far as I can tell the printer is completely off when it's sleeping as I don't see the power light on at all.

Attached Files:

18. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

My parents leave their printer on 24/7. I just gave them my HP Deskjet 932c after their Epson SC 777 died (go figure). They always leave the HP on as they did with the Epson.

I would like to get a laser printer, HP of course. I like the power save feature on most of them so I think that's the way to go. I'm sure that feature prolongs the life of the printer. I've noticed that my parents Epson was always warm from leaving it on all of the time.

19. thecow macrumors 6502

I have an apple laser printer that has been on 24/7 for the last 7-8 years. It doesn't have a sleep mode and every time that you power it up it prints a startup page, so it would be a huge waste to turn it off. That thing has printed about 11,000 pages and it still works fine. It's an amazing printer that just won't die. The print quality isn't that bad either. The max resolution is 300 dpi.

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it's warm when it's off, it's burning $'s.

Of course cable boxes, VCRs, and power bricks are generally the worst.

21. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

My friend just bought an HP Laserjet 1320 and he loves it. He also bought an Aiport Exress so he can print wirelessly. When the printer is idle, it'll go to sleep about 5-10 minutes after the last print job finishes. I think I'll get one too because they are inexpensive and the print quality is pretty good.

22. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I generally turn it off. Helps save electricity. (god knows I already use more than my fair share)

23. feyd_ehway macrumors regular

feyd_ehway

No

i hate the low hum of my cheap printer when i am trying to sleep.
    signed
    better rested now
    -feyd

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I've got that whole printer/fax/photo copier thing happening so I leave mine on all the time. Mind you, I wouldn't if it was an old-school bubble jet.

25. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Keep it on - its networked to my dads room so I just turn on his PC and print... If I turned it off and forgot to turn it on, a reboot of Windows would be required for it to detect the printer again