Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Totally Bored

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
I've got 2 external drives.

1 Buffalo 1TB 5400 RPM ext drive that I'm using for backup with Time Machine. I quess I'll leave that one hooked up and running ?

1 MyDigital 480GB SSD ext drive for my videos. Do I leave this one hooked up and running or unplugged and plug it in only when I need to access the Videos ?

Sorry for the newbie dumb question but I'm a newbie and that's how I'm rolling :)

Thanks in advance !!!

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I usually don't keep portable drives plugged in long just because I don't know if those fans are meant to be on all the time. Your SSD will be fine though.

Reactions: Totally Bored

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
My Seagate 3TB is plugged in the back for my videos and other stuff and that's left 'turned on' and plugged in all the time. However, it's got an auto power down when it's been idle for a while so the fans aren't on all the time. The only downside is that it can make open file dialogs slow if they have to wait for the external drive to wake up.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My Seagate 3TB is plugged in the back for my videos and other stuff and that's left 'turned on' and plugged in all the time. However, it's got an auto power down when it's been idle for a while so the fans aren't on all the time. The only downside is that it can make open file dialogs slow if they have to wait for the external drive to wake up.
Ditto, most modern drives have a sleep or power down mode and thus it's generally safe to leave them plugged in and on at all times. I would only do this with drives that you actually use regularly or semi-regularly. If you have a back up drive that you offload data to monthly then I wouldn't feel the need to have that plugged in and powered on all the time.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I've got 2 external drives.

1 Buffalo 1TB 5400 RPM ext drive that I'm using for backup with Time Machine. I quess I'll leave that one hooked up and running ?

1 MyDigital 480GB SSD ext drive for my videos. Do I leave this one hooked up and running or unplugged and plug it in only when I need to access the Videos ?

Sorry for the newbie dumb question but I'm a newbie and that's how I'm rolling :)

Thanks in advance !!!

I have a total of 6 external hard drives hooked to my iMac that I leave connected. One is a portable which is for my hourly Time Machine backups. Another one is a portable that stores media like photos and music. The other 4 are 3.5" hard drives which are configured as 2 RAID1 setups that store all the movies, I own that I have ripped and use for streaming. When the computer sleeps all the external hard drives also spin down and sleep. I have been doing this type of setup for years.

Totally Bored

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
Thanks everyone !!!

So its okay to leave them hooked up. The only thing is...

The Lights stay on the Drives. Is that okay ???

Totally Bored

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
I have a total of 6 external hard drives hooked to my iMac that I leave connected. One is a portable which is for my hourly Time Machine backups. Another one is a portable that stores media like photos and music. The other 4 are 3.5" hard drives which are configured as 2 RAID1 setups that store all the movies, I own that I have ripped and use for streaming. When the computer sleeps all the external hard drives also spin down and sleep. I have been doing this type of setup for years.

Do the lights stay on your drives ?

Just wondering how everyone rolls with there stuff :)

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks everyone !!!

So its okay to leave them hooked up. The only thing is...

The Lights stay on the Drives. Is that okay ???

Which drives, spinning or SSD, have lights still on when they are asleep? I would think that if the lights are on the drive is probably not asleep.

Totally Bored

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
When they are asleep no lights are on.

Interesting.

This one ( I use for Time Machine ) has the white light on now and I have Time Machine turned off.

buffalo-mini-station-thunderbolt-1.jpg

and this one has the Blue Light on even when Im not using it.

270x270_ssdotg_mobile_ssd.jpg

Could they both not be in sleep mode maybe ?

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Interesting.

This one ( I use for Time Machine ) has the white light on now and I have Time Machine turned off.

buffalo-mini-station-thunderbolt-1.jpg

and this one has the Blue Light on even when Im not using it.

270x270_ssdotg_mobile_ssd.jpg

Could they both not be in sleep mode maybe ?

When the drive is in use or not asleep it is normal for the drive light to be on. Try this, click on the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner of the menubar and select to put the computer to sleep. Wait for the computer to go to sleep. Do the drive lights still stay on? You might have to put your ear close to the computer and listen for the fans to stop running before the computer is actually asleep.

Totally Bored

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2015
When the drive is in use or not asleep it is normal for the drive light to be on. Try this, click on the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner of the menubar and select to put the computer to sleep. Wait for the computer to go to sleep. Do the drive lights still stay on? You might have to put your ear close to the computer and listen for the fans to go off before the computer is actually asleep.

Interesting.

I did what you typed and put my iMac to sleep. The screen went black and then about 20 seconds later both lights on both drives went out.

I then hit ENTER and the screen came back ON and both lights are on again

I'm gonna let it go in Standby ( with rainbow like flashing standby screen ) and see if the drives are still lit up.

I quess there always gonna be on unless it's in sleep mode ???

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Interesting.

I did what you typed and put my iMac to sleep. The screen went black and then about 20 seconds later both lights on both drives went out.

I then hit ENTER and the screen came back ON and both lights are on again

I'm gonna let it go in Standby ( with rainbow like flashing standby screen ) and see if the drives are still lit up.

I quess there always gonna be on unless it's in sleep mode ???

Drives also go to sleep by themselves if they are not in use for a period of time. That is part of the firmware that is in the drive which has its own management software.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I leave all my externals running 24/7. All go to sleep when not in use. Only one that I turn on/off, I store in a safe. Even my Personal Cloud NAS runs 24/7. Never had any issues with any of them. But I also buy better drives, with the belief that you get what you pay for. So far it has not proven me wrong. Knock on wood!

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
In case of WD externals, theirs light starts to blink when Mac goes to sleep. What makes me wonder is that when I touch the HDD, it's lukewarm during the time whereas when it's unplugged, it's cooler.

I assume the OP's question is from the fact that HDD may fail quicker if the mechanical drive or SSD chips are powered for longer period of times. Isn't that true?

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
In case of WD externals, theirs light starts to blink when Mac goes to sleep. What makes me wonder is that when I touch the HDD, it's lukewarm during the time whereas when it's unplugged, it's cooler.

I assume the OP's question is from the fact that HDD may fail quicker if the mechanical drive or SSD chips are powered for longer period of times. Isn't that true?
The external blinks when it goes to sleep, either by itself from being idle or if the attached computer goes to sleep. Are you checking right away or letting them sleep and cool off for a while? Either way, there might be a power supply producing some minimal heat.

Some people feel that turning devices on and off causes stress to the device while others feel that leaving devices on gives them heat stress. Considering that devices in general work for a long time, as long as you don't overheat them they should be fine for a long time no matter what you do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.