Do you like my web site?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Jun 15, 2004.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I wanted to make it as simple as possible but I like feedback. Check out the video please.

I'm taking my time with the content and I'll have to create some background images after all to have some balance between the button bar on the top and the rest of the content at the botton.

By the way, how do I make a rool over using html text? I do not want to use the regular underline in my links but I want them to change colors as a regular roll over only with html text. I know it can be done but I'm having a hard time finding the script.

If you find some missed spelling in my resume or any other place (except the Old Site) please let me know.

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    You can do the rollovers using CSS. Looking at your site code I didn't notice any references to a style sheet, but if you were using CSS it would be very simple to create a rollover effect using nothing more than HTML and CSS. In other words, no scripting required.
  3. abhishekit macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2003
    akron , ohio
    cool video dude.
    The starting 'splash' was real cool. How do you do that?

Site is neat and simple.

4. wowser macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    Inglaterra, Europa
    Nice vid - but what the hell is it about? i thought it was for some fashion show, then it turned into this 3d thing. I like the woosh effect at the start!
  5. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I concur.

Just put this in your <head> section:

<style type="text/css">
    a:link {color:#FFFFFF;}
    a:visited {color:#FFFFCC;}
    a:hover {background-color:#ccc;}

You can replace those colors with whatever you want.

Hope that helps, although I think the site looks great as is.

6. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    Votre vidéo est fabuleux !

I really liked it, but I concur that I have no idea what it's about per se, but that's good I think! :rolleyes: :p

And your resume is impressive...maybe pic a cooler more streamlined font for the site, but keep the text small.

Good job!
  7. altivec 2003 macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2003
    "QuickTime 6 or later require" :)
    That one just jumped out at me (its on the video page)
    Nice vid, but I only could see the intro (the site name and then that water drop thing) because of my really crappy modem. It would take hours to get the whole vid :eek: !
    I was going to post about the css rollovers, but now I see that someone else did a good while ago. Hrm. You *might* think of adding this to your a:hover definition just because it looks cool imo:
    text-decoration: underline overline;
    That just puts a line above and below the link when you mouse-over it. If you get rid of "overline", it just puts an underline (duh!).
    Good site, though.
  8. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2003
    By the looks of your site, I'm sure you are very talented - your talent shows in the layout and in the video. I gather that perhaps English is a second language for you or a companion language to Spanish perhaps. Since you are a professional, you might be wise to engage the services of an English copy editor to go over your text and make sure that the tense of the verbs is correct and so on.

Your meaning is clear, but some folks are so uptight they would hold a mishandled tense against you.

Like the site.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    On Safari I found the first screen lacking and the text a bit small on my PB 12" compared to other sites I have been to.

I too liked the video. I wonder if there would be a way to Flash the beginning for your opening screen. Otherwise a nice looking site.
  10. themadchemist macrumors 68030

Jan 31, 2003
    Chi Town
    The layout/design is very good, no doubt, but I KINDA prefer your old site, rei.
  11. zulgand04 macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Northborough, MA
    VJ: Real time video manipulation for """life""" events, parties and rock bands. Content creation and life performance.

i think i found a typo, should't "life" be "live"? Nice site, and really nice portfolio.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
  13. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Oh guys, you are so good that I'm gonna cry :...)

I'm going to put my hands on the CCS tomorrow. I just fixed the hell's kitchen and the live thing.

I wanted to do a makeover of the old site but was way too messy and the html that I used was not meant for that. Then I moved here to NY and decided to create this second version.

Just to share you a secret, the .1 was this stage I had to overcome with this german girl. She was my crush for 11 years and still is so hard to leave everything behind. Just to share you that I quit taking the Lexapro 2 weeks ago. I have my ups and downs now but they are not as bad as before. I still having feelings agains everything related with Germany. I so the ITMS in Germany and I got pissed :rolleyes: I will get over with time but... that is the .1 then: learning to grow in relationships as well.

By the way, the effects in the video at the beganing is called: Shine by Trapcode, it is an After Effects plug-in. If you pay attention to the tv every body is using it, I just over used this time.

The drop is from a Depeche Mode DVD that comes with the footage from the concerts. But what I like the most is the tunnel effect, that can be made in real time with a VJ software called Arkaos VJ. You can take any clip and apply the effect just like that. You can download the entire software from

Any way, keep going with the site feedback, I need it bad.
  14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I like the clean design. It's Apple-like.

What are you going to do for the audio link?
  15. altivec 2003 macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2003
    Some suggestions....

I read through your "About Me" page because I had nothing better to do :). While there were few actual gramatical errors or typos, I went through and edited it to "sound" a little better (perhaps more professional). Being a mere sophomore (high school) english graduate, I am not claiming that this is perfect. It may, however, alleviate the need for a paid editor. I hope so, anyway :).

Because there were several changes throughout the page, I will be unable to comment over each one. Some are necessary, most are not. Just read it and see if you like them. I will permit other people on the forum to tell me if I made some horrible mistake ;).

I will make a comment over this first line, just because it is probably the most important. I made 3 versions, but didn't like any of them too much :(.
    Regardless, here they are in no particular order:
    "Welcome to my place, the housing of my works and memories."
    "Welcome to my place, the dwelling of my works and memories."
    "Welcome to the place in which my works and memories dwell."

You might consider changing "works" to "work" even though they are both correct.

On to the rest of the page:

"I am now 29, currently living in mid-town (hell's kitchen) New York City. I moved from Caracas in January 2004 to further my development as an artist and professional.

Alone, I started my journey with just 2 Powerbook G3s, my old and loyal Roland JV-90 keyboard, some money in my pocket, and the rest of my tools residing in my head in the forms of creativity, spirit and experience.

I created 2.1 because I consider my arrival to New York as the start of another major part of my life. The addition of .1 reflects a second, more personal evolution, but it is better to keep the story as thus.

Defining myself as a digital artist, I am proficient in Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Illustrator, Arkaos, Motion Dive, and a variety of other software and hardware. After spending most of my life in electronic music, working with Digital Performer and Protools, I am recovering my roots as a graphic designer.

In mentioning these applications, I am not merely emphasizing my technical achievements; I believe that becoming one with the software is a key element to express myself as an artist and performer.

Many thanks to the people who have supported me during my stay here: Alberto, Andrés, Cristobal, Mikie, Steve, Ishelle, Rodrigo, Luis Morello, Alejandro Peña, my father, and my mother.

Eventually many things will be added to this website, the majority relating to life and creation, with my digital diary as a potential addition. These may also help someone with his or her own thoughts. Who knows?

There were some things I didn't change much because I wan't too sure what exactly you meant. There might be changes I made that destroyed some other meaning you also had. Just check to make sure.
    I don't really like "I created 2.1 because..."; I would prefer "I created Version 2.1" or something, but I don't know if you would want that.

Whew, editing that took awhile so I might wait a bit to do the other pages. In the meantime, I noticed that your resume says "Curses:". I believe that this is a typo :p. It's probably "Courses:"...

Anyways, I hope that this was helpful.

"Snipers loyal to the government shot several people minutes after this picture was taken. The picture was published in a book a year later, and my brother saw me there... How? I have no clue."
    just wanted to point out the typo "shoot", and there needs to be a coma after "later" as I showed. Maybe you should also capitalize how as I also showed.