Do You Like Sports Gaming? (360)

Discussion in 'Games' started by MacsomJRR, Feb 27, 2007.

1. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

If yes then what do you play on the 360? Are you a Tiger Woods or Virtua Tennis (soon) kinda guy? Board banging NBA 2K7 or College Hoops 2K7 type? Smash mouth Madden football? I don't get the impression that many people on these boards are playing these types of games but I love 'em so I thought I'd ask.

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

I'm not big on 'new school' sports games per se, more 'old school'.

The last football game I liked was the NFL2k series, but ever since EA bought the NFL license I haven't enjoyed a football game. [I hate the post-Genesis days Madden games.] If Tecmo releases Tecmo Bowl for Xbox Live then I'm really screwed because that will take up all my time. For me - Tecmo Bowl is the greatest football series ever created. :D

I liked the 2k sports baseball game last year, I'll probably buy the one this year for the 360. I really was a huge fan of High Heat Baseball 2004 (the last one they made), I thought it was an excellent representation of the game but the developer went belly-up.

Hockey - I used to love the NHL series on the Genesis; the Playstation ones weren't too bad. Haven't bothered with any recently.

Golf - I like TW2007 (or whatever the new one is), I doubt I'll buy it. Wii Sports Golf is more fun for me even if it's not as sim-ish.

Basketball - I haven't bothered with basketball since Jordan retired. I don't care for the sport anymore. ;)

I used to love sports games in the Genesis days; that was the pinnacle of sports games for me at least.
    ~just my two cents :D

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'd play somthing like Virtua Tennis because you can dip in and out with arcade mode, but sports games with massive 'seasons' or 'careers'... just can't be ars*d. Plus with most of them being made by EA, I have quality control issues... ;)

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

sports games are my favorite. i haven't gotten NBA 2k7 yet, but i do have madden 07 for 360.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Give me a good football game like the 2K series and I'm good.

Bless

6. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I have bought the Madden franchise every year since 96 or so, and they continuously got better until about 04 or so. I'm not saying 05 or 06 weren't good games, because they were, but I didn't see as big as an improvement in those to years as I did before. Madden on the 360 is absolutely awful in my opinion. If I wasn't a die hard Bears fan I wouldn't even think about buying it next year. A kid a few doors down from me has Madden 07 for regular XBOX and we play it about 5 times a week. To me, the XBOX version is head and shoulders above the 360 version.

As far as other sports are concerned, I haven't really been impressed with any games since about 02 or so. The basketball games always seem bad and the baseball games just get a little boring after 2 or 3 weeks. I plan on getting MLB 2k7 for 360 just because I've heard it's the best baseball game to date.

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

My idea of a good sports game is NBA Jam so I really don't count _but_ I really like EAs NBA Street games. I have also played a lot of FIFA over the years so I guess that is another sports franchise I like. Other than that I have tried Tiger Woods on 360 but found it boring, I haven't liked golf games since Links back on the PlayStation. For me games like golf are much more fun on the Wii. I tried NHL2K6 when it was released but it was buggy and would crash my 360 so I took it back and haven't tried a hockey game since.

To be honest I'd rather play Wii Sports.

8. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I'd rather go outside and play a real sport. I don't see the huge fascination with video game sports: I'd rather have my videogame allow me to do something I can't already do in the park near my house.

I'll admit when I do play console games, wii sports is alot more interactive, although still not perfect.

9. MacsomJRR thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

The demo it available on XBL right now. It's a solid game with excellent graphics. I can't wait until my copy get here next week. Just in time for midterms! ...crap.

I agree with everyone who is bashing Madden on the 360. It's just plain Terrible with a capital T emphasis on the errible. The good news is that 2K sports recently announced All-Pro Football 2K8 which if it's even half as good as 2K's other titles will kick butt.

10. MacsomJRR thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

I definitely agree with you but I don't think you can go down to your local stadium and play as an entire NBA basketball team in game 1 of the Western Conference playoffs with thousands of screaming fans, bumping music, and 1080 degree tommahawk jams. I see video game sports as a mini strategy games in a sense because you aren't they obviously aren't physically demanding but they do require knowledge of the games tactics.

11. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I don't have a 360, just a regular old XBox, but I play almost nothing but sports games. I prefer college sports though. NCAA Football, basketball, I even got EA's college baseball game last year. I really hope EA makes some college games for the Wii. I also like Tiger Woods and will probably buy 07 for the Wii next month.

12. stagecustom macrumors regular

for me it started with n64 when i was a kid playing nhl 99 with my cousin. then i bought a gamecube, because it was the cheapest system when i was in grade 8, i bought that for nhl and madden! then i bought a 360 last year and played primarily sports games until hit man and gears! i still love my sports games, theres something about emulating an actual hockey season with all the franchise options, its nuts. if anyone wants to play some madden on nhl, i would prefer a game that isn't 5 min quarters in madden because i don't like to spend alot of time playing a game online. pm me if you want to.

:apple:

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I have Tiger Woods 07 and Rockstar Table Tennis. Both solid games and good fun. Haven't played them recently as I am currently addicted to Crackdown.

Didn't get Madden 07 but will get Madden 08. Probably get NCAA Football 08 too so I can import the draft class into Madden.

14. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

I love madden, and have enjoy playing 07 on 360. I cant wait till 08 is released :D

15. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I really enjoy sports games -- I've been playing Madden since the genesis era and it's almost an obligation as a sports/football fan to buy the newest madden, regardless how great/sh*tty it is....

I plan on getting MLB 2k7 just because I'm in awe of the animations of the game and that I really have an urge to play a baseball game.

The "next-gen" Madden titles are a disgrace to the franchise...I hope when 2k sports released their non-NFL licensed football game it will wake up the developers at Tiburon to make a worthwhile Madden game for the next gen consoles

16. mkubal macrumors 6502a

I got MLB 2k7 yesterday. It's a solid game. It's certainly better than 2k6, but then again 2k6 was atrocious. Or at least the parts I got to play before it froze. Anyway, I'd probably rank 2k7 behind MVP 05, which is still the best baseball game ever.

For some reason I don't feel as involved in the game as I should. It feels like I'm just hitting buttons that cue in game cinematic cut scenes, which I become slightly involved in. The game doesn't make me feel like I'm hitting the ball, just tapping a button. MVP 05 sold me on these things. I don't know how, it just did.

Lots of little other things happen in game that, as someone who has played a great deal of baseball, peeve me a bit. Like people winding up on what should be a quick flip toss or a short flick of the wrist throw, which can sometimes result in a runner beating out a throw. Or being robbed of 3 HRs (maybe I need to increase the difficulty) in a single game, two in an inning by a single player. Robbing of HRs goes back to my point about in game cinematic cut scenes.

I could go on, but I'll sum it up as "it's playable" and being that it's the only baseball game we'll see this year for the 360 I guess I'll have to deal with the shortcomings.

P.S.: Worst menu music of all time. I had to turn it off. If you enjoy it I will weep for you.

17. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Madden Sucks...®

I prefer college sports, like NCAA Football. Here's hoping they make it harder, winning by 70+ points a game gets old.

Edit: 500!!! w00t!!!

18. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I hate sports gaming.... unless I'm playing the Wii, then I love it.

19. pcypert macrumors 6502

I play Fifa and Hockey Quite a bit. Love it and love the regular controller for it. I think trying to use a wii mote with footy would be really annoying.

Paul

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Does Tony Hawks count? Not really into sports games on a computer, IMO it sort of defeats the point. Wii Sports is the only one I've truly enjoyed, or perhaps Touch Golf.

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Baseball and Football...

.. for the Intellivision

22. MacsomJRR thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

MLB 2K7 does have some shortcomings to be sure but we all have to keep in mind this is the first release of the three year plan to revamp this series with the help of the same producer who helped turn the MVP franchise into greatness. Once 2K9 comes out this could have MVP05 and the old school favorite high heat beat.

I just got NHL 2K7 and Tiger Woods in the mail from Gamefly a couple days ago. Haven't ahd the chance to play either yet and probably won't till late next week unfortunately. I've heard good things about both though so i can't wait:)