Do you like Steely Dan?

Discussion in 'Community' started by drastik, Aug 19, 2002.

1. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

I was listening to several of my Dan albums this weekend, and I was remindeed of how super cool they are, do any of you like Steely Dan?

2. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

They are alright. I used to like them more than I do now. Their old stuff is the stuff I like most. Bohesatva, Dirty Work, Do It Again, etc.

Overall, I find them to be too lite-Jazz sounding for my tastes. I think its the chord progressions in their compositions. It just doesn't groove with me.

Taft

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I've got one question for you:

Are you reelin' in the years? :D

4. keltorsori macrumors regular

Yep. Two against Nature was easily one of their bests. Just wish they'd tour again.

5. mrMahann macrumors newbie

agreed, old stuff

"don't take me alive" and "royal scam" but "fm" is a fave as well. aja and gaucho were good, and fagan's solo efforts, esp first one, fun.

6. drastik thread starter macrumors 6502a

drastik

Fagan's solo stuff is okay, but not as good as the Dan stuff. Aja, Peg, and Haitian Divorce are probably my favorite tracks.

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

FM.

That is one of the greatest songs of all time. Beautiful use of jazz cords in popular music.

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    black friday, your gold teeth, king of the world, bodhisatva, rikki don't lose that number, my old school...geez, too many good ones to list(and thats just the early albums).

any of you musicians want to write instant steely dan songs? they used a chord fagen called the Mu major which is a major triad with the 3rd shifted to the second...a C Mu major would be a C-D-G...try it on a piano and randomly throw them around....it works...just add great melodies, wry lyrics, amazing arrangements and blazing solos....

;)

9. macsurfer macrumors regular

YES!!!!!!

Plus LOVE Fagan's "New Frontier" "IGY" and well, the whole album!!!!!!

10. mrMahann macrumors newbie

ruby, ruby

just gotta listen to that every now and again.

11. Eliot macrumors member

Any Dan is good Dan. If you're learning to solo on guitar, it doesn't hurt to have Larry Carlton, Jeff Baxter, (the wonderful and ever-unappreciated) Denny Dias, Elliott Randall, Dean Parks, Steve Khan, Rick Derringer, Mark Knopfler, Jay Graydon, etc for company and guidance.....