Do you like the city, state, or country you currently live in?

Discussion in 'Community' started by YS2003, Jul 24, 2005.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I live in NY metro (right across the Hudson river) areas and I am hoping I can move out in the future (of course, job situations are permitting). Too much traffic (I only drive as I don't ride buses nor trains). Too many people (wrong kinds of people?). Just plain hassel to live in the areas. I prefer some less populated areas with not much snow during winter (cars get dirty with salt and dirty snow). Do you live in your current areas simply because of your jobs (or other commitments) even though you prefer moving to a different city, state, or country?
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Houston is OK. Texas is less OK than Houston.

I mean, right in the middle of houston. I'd LOVE to live in the Montrose area. It's the arty part of town.

Everyone drives like a lunatic, but if you out-lunatic them, you can get by. (hehehe.)

From an Apple POV, I love it! the houston Apple store is the greatest ever. EVER! (I got more free Apple Camp patches today from a clerk. :) )

I don't like how some of the citizens (and most of the government) are bigoted, hate mongering people.
    But that's for the politics forum.
  3. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    Born and still living in Columbus MS.

Good: Low cost of living, little or no traffic. Four seasons, not much snow if at all. Four hours from the beach. Mom lives here. I know most everyone in town.

Bad: Nothing to do, nowhere to shop, schools are in fair shape (need money like all schools do), limited jobs. All my friends have moved away. I know most everyone in town.

Florida's a good place. Sunshine, no state income tax. Schools are good.

My wife and I are still thinking about moving away with our 11 and 6 year old children to see if we can find better opportunities for ourselves and our kids. Quality of living is in important thing for your family. I mean, we're ok, but there's always something better.

edit: congrats Katie on your Avatar status!
  4. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Plymouth MA, americas hometown :p
    I love it here it is only 40 minutes to my college in bridgewater and is 8 minutest to my job (hospital) also we have a lot of new things being added into the town retail store wise.
  5. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    To answer your questions, Yes, Yes and No. (Sorry, but I'm part of the loyal opposition -- and happy to take it up in the politics area so we don't get this thread shut down.)

What part of Manhattan are you across from? I'm in lower Manhattan and have a good view of the Statue of Liberty and nearby area of NJ. Just wondering if I can see you/you can see me. :eek: :)
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    No. *sobs* I grew up in Detroit and other parts of Michigan and recently moved to Northern Florida. I do *not* like it very much at all. There are small things here that are very nice, but by and large, I really miss Detroit. Or any big city. It is waaaay too rural here for my liking.
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Lots of people would kill to live here, but I'm over it.

Hopefully California eventually. :)
  8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Yes, yes and yes. I can't imagine living anywhere else. :)
  9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    state - NY - i guess
    Long Island - maybe when i'm older
    - town - i hate it, to many rich snobs
  10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    City (Worcester) - Sure. It's nice, because it's not too big, not too small, and has nice parts in addition to a downtown area. It's a large community where everyone seems to know eachother.

State (Massachusetts) - Yes. I definitely love Southern New England partly because these so much to do, and everything is relatively close by - beaches, mountains, parks, cities, shows, etc... The downside is of course the terrible winters we do have, but if you like the snow, awesome! I happen to enjoy the snow, but do get sick of it by about early February.

On a side note, I wouldn't mind living in a warm place year round, such as Florida or SoCal.

Country (U.S.A.) - Yep. I firmly believe that we (along with Britain and Canada) are perhaps the best countries to live in.
  11. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I have always found positives things about all the places that I've lived. Which include Ohio, Nebraska, and now Massachusetts. A home is what you make of it. Friends are really important.
  12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    City: Washington, DC
    State: we can dream! :)

And I like DC.
  13. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2005
    country - absoloutly
    state - meh
    city - it's alright quite scenic and historic
    locality - hell no it's a slum, an army cadet had his throat cut by a 16yr old 350m from my house
    house - its not to bad rents cheap
  14. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Do you like the city, state, or country you currently live in?

city- yes (actually suburbs/countryside)
    state- yes
    country- yes
  15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm in Louisville KY right now, and its ok. I liked the Dallas TX area more.
  16. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2002
    Anywhere but here
    I currently live right outside of Los Angeles. Absolutely love the weather but hate the earthquakes.
  17. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Ah, the downside of living in paradise - earthquakes.
  18. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    City - I live in the Boonies... :rolleyes:
    State - Fine. Great knowing that we have the original Six Flags
    Country - Sure, why not...

There you have it folks...
  19. Poeben macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2004
    A resounding no, no, no. I also live in the NY metro area and let me tell you--I hate the traffic (read: drivers), the people (read: drivers), and the general way of life. Without causing a big stir, let's leave it at I think this country is heading in the wrong direction.
  20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    10,000' in the Andes, surrounded by 5 snow-covered mountains and two active volcanos, on a clear morning is a nice way to start the day.
  21. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Sounds like the view is absolutely breath-taking!
    Not so sure that I would want to live next to two active volcanos. :eek:
    Any photos???
  22. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
  23. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    City: Sorta
    State: I guess
    World: No

I live in a small town in northern CT, about 45 minutes from hartford and has a population of maybe 15,000. It really has nothing to do in it- 2 grocery stores, a few decent resturants, 1 Chinese restuarant, 7 pizza resturants (never can have enough!- and only one is a chain- dominos), it has a McDonalds and a Dunkin' Donuts.

In 2000: Average Income is $140,000. Average house price is $300,000. Average Property size is 2 acres or higher.
    I like it here because all the houses are not right next to eachother and in eachothers back yards- no highways running through your backyard either- its very quiet. I have a breathtaking view of farm land below and mountains- on a clear day I can see a Springfield Mass which is like an hour away by car.

This town has absolutly no diversity. It is 98% white, 1.5% hispanic, and .5% black.

Unfortunatly my town is one of the top 10 towns that has the highest taxes- over $11,000.
  24. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says....I would have to say yes, yes and yes. I have been to many other parts of Canada and lived for many years in the Toronto area...but the west coast - Victoria especially - is *so* much better...I have been here for about 15 years now and would *never* move back east. Climate is nice here - moderate. City is big enough to not be boring but not so big that it gets all the really big city hassles. And if I want the real wilderness and nature - it is only a short drive out of town.

One day I will move though....just for the experience of living somewhere else....I for whatever reason have this urge to check out New Zealand....oh yeah!
  25. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    washington dc

absolutely love it. each quadrant of the city offers a different atmosphere, as well as the individual neighborhoods. free meuseams, easy drives to baltimore, richmond, the beach, 3 airports, etc.