Do you like the winter?

Discussion in 'Community' started by cluthz, Nov 17, 2004.

1. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

When I woke up this morning the winter had arrived.
    Ten cm with new snow (first snow this years..)

Here the autuum is a cold, windy and rainy trip to the winter.
    Ofcourse, the winter can be all these things too, but the days with powder snow and sun makes those months with rain and wind worth it!

:) Have to wax my snowboard and telemark skis now!

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I hate our winters, they're just cold, wet, windy, grey and miserable :( It wouldn't be so bad if it was nice clear, cold days with some nice snow, but it's not like that here, it's just crap!

3. iGav macrumors G3

Autumn/Winter are my 2 favourite seasons... :) love it all, snow, fost, fog, dark nights and those cloudless, crisp sunny days. :)

It's not that I hate summer as such, it's just that we get really crappy heat in the UK, really humid and a place like London is unbearable when it's 29-30+ degress C, it was a nightmare last season when were were rocketing into the 33 degree C+ heat to the point where it was too hot muggy to do anything, even drinking a chilled one outside became a liability.

So yeah... it's been forecast (by the same guys that predicted last years record heat, and this years wet summer) that the UK is going to have a REALLY freezing Winter... so fingers crossed!! :D

I just hope we have some snow... :(

4. Badradio macrumors 6502

No, that would be the summers. In winter it's dark too.

Best thing to do in the winter is book a few weeks away boarding/skiing. I never used to look forward to winter until I started boarding - best way I know to combat S.A.D.

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Summers aren't too bad, not down here in the south anyway :p

6. Badradio macrumors 6502

That's why you pay the premium house prices :p
    Up here it rains All. The. Time.

Note to self: must move south.

7. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

I LOVE THE WINTER!
    I LOVE RAIN
    I LOVE COLD
    I LOVE SNOW!!!

Too bad I live in Arizona, but for college I'm thinking about going to San Francisco, or Seattle.

Edit: forgot to mention that I've gone in the snow naked, never thought it was cold.

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I hope not. I love snow but not in London. An inch falls and the transport system descends into chaos... There's no concept of gritting pavements to stop them icing up for pedestrians. Argh! :mad:

I'll just hope for snow while I'm home in Scotland for Christmas where they're a bit more set up to deal with it. :)

Then again with the way temperatures are dropping this weekend (-2 on Friday night now according to weather.com), the Apple Store may open to snow! :p

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You won't get much snow in either of those places. For the serious snow, head to Buffalo, or Kalamazoo, or anywhere in Colorado.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Do I like the winter?

Guess! :D :D :D

Attached Files:

11. sebisworld macrumors 6502

I love it, as well. It was snowing all day yesterday, so I asked my boss if I could go home a little early. He was ok with it, so I went to a swimming pool and had a snow fight. I also love just diving into snow wearing nothing but a swimming suit (and then staying there for a minute before jumping in the pool again).
    But then again, I have a cold today. It was well worth it, though. I've basically been waiting for this since February. Heck, I even moved from Germany.

But it's amazing how many people put up snowmen in Iceland. Even adults :cool:

Last year I even flew to Alaska merely because they had like tons of snow there.

http://stuff.sebisworld.com/Iceland/index4.html

12. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

I like the kind of 'winter' we get here in central Florida. Low temperature last night was around 59F, expected high temperature today around 77F. More important for me, it is sunny, the air is crisp and dry which makes for the deepest blue sky (unlike that high humidity 'haze' we see in the summer), a light breeze much of the time. We are just getting into what I call our "extended convertible season" which lasts about 8 months. :) Convertibles are actually no fun in sunny, 98 degree F, 95% humidity weather.

13. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm in Chicago, so winters for us are cold, generally snowy, windy, and bleak. I hate winter in Chicago. Of course, I hate the weather in general. But when your job, your wife's job, your wife's family, etc., are here, guess what?

So needless to say, I try to plan some strategically placed business trips - right now I've got Phoenix the first week of December, and Tampa the first week in February.

14. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So true!

You are never too old to build a snowman.

Sushi

15. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I like Winter--I like it far away.

Ever since my encounter with frostbite, I want warmth. I don't mind some snow, it makes for interesting driving. I don't like the cold but as long as there aren't blizzard conditions, I'm okay with it, mostly.

Here in central Floriduh, it can be somewhat cold. I've seen it dip below 0 degrees C/32 degrees F slightly. That's cold enough to wear my winter coat and no, I don't wear it with shorts. :D

17. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I like winter just fine, skiing, snowboarding...mountainbiking (on clear trails, a real trail with thick snow can have you over the handlebars every 500m) But winter can last too long. Poor Nova Scotia was hit this past weekend with 30 to 45cm of snow, nothing here in Toronto yet, but I got my snow tires on!

Speaking of winter preparedness:
    Now I've heard news stories about an inch of snow causing traffic chaos in the UK, and I've been wondering what causes it. An inch of snow wouldn't cause me to blink, so what's the deal? Is it crappy snow tires (or the lack thereof) and/or people who just can't drive in the white stuff?

18. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I absolutely HATE the winter.

Its cold, wet, nasty, and grey 24/7. And the roads get all nasty and slushy - therefore my car gets all nasty and slushy.

Waking up early to start the car, brush any snow/ice off of it, then walk inside with snow in your shoes, tracking wet snow all over the house...I hate it.

I hate rain as well. hate it. hate it. hate it.

Anything different than between 65-90 degrees and clear skies = unaccaptable.

I do like autumn though, but only when its warm and sunny, and the orange, red, and yellow leaves look nice against the blue sky.

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

yes and no

there is college and pro football, beautiful and enchanting light during the days, american idol tv show, great shopping deals, etc :)

but i often get sick and catch a nasty bug from other sick people who are often herded indoors together (due to the cold and shopping deals), the stress of family obligations, and the over-commecialization of christmas

it's a love-hate thing but there is no day that makes me more happy than january 2nd...i can take a long breather then

chistmas, as a season/commercial orgy, starts in early october when the merchants push candy and halloween, followed by thanksgiving, then christmas, then new years

20. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I love the winter. Living in Florida, we don't get much cold weather. I try to enjoy it while it lasts.

21. apple2991 macrumors 6502

Divorce?

22. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

My biggest beef with winter is I go to work when it's dark, and I get home from work when it's dark. I can't stand doing that. If I had a snowmobile, and a house with a fireplace, I think things would be differnent. Maybe I'll move up north when I retire, and buy myself a house with a fireplace, and a snowmobile. And a pontoon boat for the summer, cuz the house will be on a lake somewhere. And a jet ski. Gotta have a jetski. So I have something to do in the summer. :D

23. takao macrumors 68040

takao

love it...snowed for the first time last week (or even the week before) but not much stayed on the ground ..the roofs and mountaisn are all white around innsbruck marvelous skyline
    (sadly not much is visible on the innsbruck airport webcam at the moment..it's night but i think some mountains should appear during the day: http://www.tirolinfo.at/webcam_flughafen_live.htm)
    of course ilike it more because it raisn less during winter and it's not as hot...(and don't forget that it's funnier)

24. brap macrumors 68000

Yes.
    Yes, I do. Driving rain, thunderstorms... murky, foggy nights. Can't beat a bit of atmosphere. My only 'beef with it is the days are too short. Less people out on the streets, no frolicking children, dogs with frisbees... winter means eveyone's spirits are closer to mine! Jesus loves me because I'm cynical :D

25. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I'm a four seasons guy. I like them all when they come along and I am glad to see them go when its time. I am looking forward to winter this year, Maybe my son will want to go play in the snow this year (he's 2 1/2 and last year he hated it).