Do you like thunderstorms?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mikemodena, Aug 14, 2005.

1. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

I figured this topic would be a nice alternative to scams, animal cruelty, and that iBook update which has now turned into the next powerbook update obsession.

Most people either like thunderstorms or are scared to death by them. I remember in 3rd the sky went black and we had a thunderstorm and a girl was having a panic attack. I, on the other hand, was pretending my wobbly desk was a rocket ship. Earlier tonight there was a nice thunderstorm that I was enjoying while reading MacRumors, when lightning struck reallllllly close. My lights went out for a few seconds and this bright light came in the window. The lights came on and then came that CRACK. Me and my trusty canine companion Jamie both jumped at the same time.

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

3. mikemodena thread starter macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

My dog is petrified by them.. when we know one is coming we give her a 1/4 of a tranq pill so she's nice and chill during the whole thing. Otherwise she hides under my desk and gets all tangled and unplugs my mac mini and whatnot. My fish, Hamilton, doesn't seem to mind them though :-D

4. bartelby macrumors Core

I love thunderstorms!!!!!
    I sit in the garden during them.

5. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

yeah, although i dont advise it i remember once going for a run along the waterfront in tel aviv and jaffa in a thunderstorm. i run alot (or used to) and that ranks as the most memorable. i guess thunderstorms just act as a stark reminder of the power of nature.

6. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

absaloutly, after them everything smells so fresh :D

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

We got some rippers in Singapore, was awesome to be up in amongst them in the apartment building.

Get some great ones here too, nothing like a big aussie storm with massive winds, flash floods, cricket ball sized hail, the odd mini-tornado - it's great!!! Love 'em!!

(yes, australia has either the second or third highest instance of tornadoes around the world, the UK is either second or third, it's just that most of our population is around the coasts where you don't really see many. They all happen in the interior which as many of you know is as empty as you can get)

9. bartelby macrumors Core

That's how I'd describe it too.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I love them as well the most amazing I've seen were on Bougainville which included the airport building I was in getting two direct hits,pretty freaky being in a completely corrugated iron building hit by lightening,pretty safe too as it forms a Faraday's cage.

11. mpw Guest

I love thunderstorms, we use it as an excuse to crack open a bottle of champagne and, if it's a warm evening, sit out on the deck.

I once had lighting strike the ground about 15ft from me which was pretty freaky. Oddest thing was that it was a thunderstorm without any rain, the only one like that I've ever experienced.

Another favourite was on holiday in Italy. Middle of the day and the sky went black as night above us with a deluge of rain, strong winds, forked lightning the works, but on the horizons in each direction you could see glorious sunshine and in front was the most vivid rainbow I can remember.

12. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

We never get them :(

At most there will be a bit of thunder and the sky will light up a few times, and even that is very rare...

13. bartelby macrumors Core

A few years ago there was a storm over my town, it was a very warm summer evening, it went really dark. There was hardly any rain, but the lightning was continuous and a constant rumble of thunder for about 3 hours!!
    No forked lightning but it was still an awesome sight!

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I like a good thunderstorm. The great ones are pretty rare here in Bergen, but every once in a while one will rip the skies. I was fortunate enough to be outside and witness a real wild one some years ago and it was an awesome sight. A good thunderstorm must be observed up close, there's no use sitting indoors... ;)

Of course I've had a couple of incidents that was not so fun or just plain scary.

One lightning made a power-surge that killed the network port on my old Pismo and the whole motherboard had to be replaced and even if it was covered by insurance I had to pay an excess of NOK 3000 (about half the cost, just under $500).

Another lightning (or probably just a major electrical disturbance made by a lightning) went through my old record player (this was in the 80s, before I got myself a CD player), while it was standing on my night table, about 30 cm (1 foot) away from my pillow, where my head was resting. A spark shot out from the pickup arm and hit the record with a loud "snapping" sound, like a whip, and the record player, which was on at the time, increased greatly in speed, making the music all "Mickey Mousey", and then it slowly went back to normal speed, happily playing on. A shocking (pun intended ;)) experience...

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I would be counted as a thunderstorm fan
    But you have to be careful or people will think you are looney

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

16. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

We never really get that many thunderstorms but when we do, they're usually really bad, which is great!!

I run outside and watch as it passes by. The last one was just over a year ago and boy, was it a monster. I was standing there in torrential rain like a lunatic watching in awe as each lightning strike got closer and closer. Sent shivers down me spine :p (i wasn't struck btw)

Thunderstorms while flying is a different story. I remember one time flying from Heathrow to Frankfurt, all eastern flights were delayed because of severe thunderstorms and so there was a restriction on how many flights could depart. When we eventually got going the turbulence was pretty bad, and normally it's quite fun but with purply blue flashes of light every few seconds at our level, it scared the crap outta me! When we were at altitude, looking down at the light show was just amazing. It gave me real respect for Mother Nature.

Don't play with Thunder and lightning kids :cool:

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Love em - particularly when you get proper forked lightning rather than plain sheet flashes.

I remember sitting in Akron's Rubber Bowl during the 4th quarter of a somewhat dull football game and watching the lightning arc down across Ohio. It was dry where we were but the lightning went on for the best part of an hour... I remember chuckling watching a friend try to capture it with a digital still camera.... no chance!

18. mpw Guest

It's cool the morning after electrical storms to review the nights CCTV at work.
    I can freeze frame during lightning bursts and the scenes are lit up as bright, at least, as day time but with a great blue tinge. Really cool.

19. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I love 'em big time :D There's a good reason for the graphics on my placeholder website.

But unfortuntately (or fortunately, depending on your view), they're fairly uncommon here.

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

yes, enjoy them- when i don't have specific plans for outdoor activities :D we usually get some pretty good ones here in the dc/metro area... gets really hot and humid during the day, then cools off at night with a big storm. don't know if it's been my imagination or not, but i don't think we've had as many storms this year as compared to years past :D

21. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

love 'em too - we got hit with a nice storm yesterday, and for about a half hour before the sky actually grew dark and the storm hit, there were these really deep rolls of thunder, like every 15 seconds, but it was still blue sky all around us...freaky, but really cool!

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i am a huge thunderstorm fan i guess you could say. they are relaxing to me, i sleep better in 'em too. rain in general is soothing to me, i guess one of my 'elements' is water because it makes me feel better in a lot of different ways..... yeah i sound like a freak, but its the truth (ie if i have a migraine, a shower could kick it down a notch or two)

23. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Heck yeah, especially this time of year in the US where it's so hot and muggy, and all we get is pop-up storms in the evening. Some of them are very intense.

Last summer we drove home about 30 miles from a Sunday outing. It was dark, and two storms converged on each other. Bolt lightning was all around us. A bit scary, but very cool!

24. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I love thunderstorms. Its the high wind storms that scare me. wires and trees down is never fun.

25. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    For some reason, it makes me feel like cozy or something in my house.