Do you like to keep your desktop tidy

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by djstarrock, Feb 7, 2007.

1. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

Hi, do you like keeping your desktop tidy I personally do I hate having stuff on my desktop the only thing on my desktop is my hard drive. So what do you do with your desktop. (post picture if you want)

2. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I have a "junk files" folder in my Documents folder where I keep miscellaneous files that get downloaded from the internet (ie. default download folder for Safari, etc), and serves as my "desktop" replacement.

My desktop doesn't have anything on it, even HD icons, but it's where I go to temporarily store files I'm working on for the day. At the end of the day, I'll either throw them out or file them away.

3. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i personally cannot stand having more than 4 icons on my desktop at one time. i also have OCD. :)

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Do I like keeping it tidy? Yes. Does it always stay that way? Unfortunately, no. I'm a messy person at heart, who tries to hide it as best he can.

5. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I do like keeping my desktop tidy. I try to keep only two icons (HD for OSX and HD for WinXP) though I may leave an occasional document if it is important and I know I'll forget about it.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I keep my desktop very tidy. It's actually important for performance, as OS X uses extra resources for every item on the desktop.

7. djstarrock thread starter macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

I also close unwanted windows all the time i just like a tidy computer.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I prefer to hide rather than close, just in case I need them quickly. If you want pictures of desktops, I'd suggest checking out the monthly desktop threads.

9. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I don't like TOO many things on my desktop, but I have a balance between too much and too little. So I keep a few things on my desktop, but if it gets too overrun with stuff, I put in another folder.

10. xtopher macrumors regular

xtopher

just keep what you use most! other stuff keep in folders.

11. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I can't stand having a ton of stuff on my desktop...I get a bit OCD about it as well.

My desk can be a complete mess, but the desktop on my computer...if I get more than 7-8 things on there, I need to clean :)

12. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I like to have a clean desktop. The only icons that are there permanently are the harddrive and external harddrive icons. But since I usually have multiple projects going on at once, I put files on the desktop so I dont forget it. :eek:

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Shrug. I don't like a million files on the desktop, but it's such a handy temporary place to place things. Why not use it? I clear it off at least once a day so that even if it does start to get 'cluttered' it's not unbearable.

14. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

Me too, probably because cleaning up icons is much easier than cleaning off an actual desk! :D :p

15. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

16. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I have crap all over my desktop....oh wait, you mean computer desktop.

I have 32 items on my desktop, not counting any drives I might have mounted.

17. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I sort mine out at the end of each day. I have folders for everything in "My Dociuments" and it gets sorted. I also hate having too many applications open. If i have more than 4, i have to close some. I hate it.

18. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I keep mine as clean as I can. My internal HD and my external HD are about the only icons I leave on my desktop all the time. Occasionally my various iPods will make an appearance or I'll put a file there temporarily, but on the whole, it's as clean as the day I got it.

19. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I prefer my desktop, both Mac and Windows, to be free of all icons. Downloads get sent to a dedicated downloads folder. If I ever put something on my desktop, it only stays there until I find a better place to store it.

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Mine usually gets messy after a little while and then I clean it up about once a week.

21. iRachel macrumors 6502a

I generally like to keep it neat. Just the HD and one or two folders for projects that I'm currently working on - and I'll file those away as soon as I'm done with them.

22. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I never understood why it was such a sin to some people to have a messy desktop. I find it very functional to use considering that I see it in almost any app that I use and can easily drag stuff in or out.

I have:

>Hard Disk
    >iDisk
    >2 external disks (only when they're plugged in)
    >Data attempt folder (my hard disk died about a year ago, and the genius bar were able to get most of my data back and put it in this folder)
    >Downloads (better to have Safari automatically put downloads in here than just on the desktop)
    >Miscellaneous (If I have a random file on my desktop, it'll be dragged here eventually)
    >Music (not my iTunes music, but rather some LEGAL stuff I've downloaded off the web.)
    >PDFs and Photos (If I find a photo on the web and need to use it for a project, it's automatically and instantly dragged into here.)
    >Screenshots (I occasionally need to take a lot of screenshots for certain projects, and I clean up my desktop and put them in here. The problem is, I get so many pictures labeled "Picture 1" that I often have to rename them, and it becomes a pain.)
    >Two extra spots on this column. I try to keep it down to a column, but my desktop usually has 1.5 columns filled.

It's a pretty good system. I should rename my hard disk something other than "Macintosh HD," but it'll probably mess up some of my FCE files, which I hate it when that happens. I thought about naming my iMac "Ying" and my future black MacBook "Yang," but that may be hard.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Its a losing battle for me, I try to keep it clean but it doesn't stay that way for long.:eek:

24. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I use DeskShade to give the illusion that I have a tidy desktop, while keeping all the perks of an untidy one. I wouldn't live without it. :p

irmongoose

25. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Automate it. I have a straightforward script which archives my desktop icons into a folder on a nightly basis. This is moved to a separate folder every week and is burned/archived to DVD every month or so. My desktop is pristine every new day. You know what they say.. Clear desk = clear mind. Cluttered desk = cluttered mind.