Do you like your Apple Hi-Fi?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by briansolomon, May 2, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

briansolomon

For those of you that did buy an Apple Hi-Fi...

Are you happy with your purchase?
    Does the design look better in person?
    Was it worth the money?
    Does it sound like $349?

I'm pretty curious because I haven't heard much about it after the firestorm of criticism when it debuted...

2. macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'm interested to hear about it too. Me and my friend blasted it pretty loud in the Apple Store, took some angry looks, and then had to stop. It sounded okay I guess, I don't think worth the price. If I ever have that amount of money laying around, I'd pick up a Bose SoundDock, but my Creature II's are doing the job for my computer and iPod just fine.

Daniel.

3. macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

The Bose SoundDock doesn't have real speakers, though. (assuming you're speaking of the flat-speaker, "curved" contraption that's $300) The Hi-Fi sounds better than the SoundDock whenever I've seen the two side-by-side.

If the Hi-Fi had video-out and wireless it'd be a whole lot easier to justify the $349 in my mind though.

(sorry, non-owner, should've kept my mouth shut)

4. macrumors 68000

jimsowden

The sounds dock is unequivocally better sounding.

5. macrumors 601

jaw04005

I bought one because I thought it would be nice for my bedroom. However, it sounded awful—my Harmon Kardon Soundsticks have better sound than the hi-fi. Pop/Rock was OK. However, classical and jazz sounded really muddy. I also found the indicator lights to be very bright and annoying at night.

I sold it on eBay a few weeks ago.

6. macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Yes. "Muddy" is the exact word I'd use to describe the Hi-Fi. I have to disagree with anybody who says the SoundDock isn't as good as the Hi-Fi. Maybe the Hi-Fi sounds pretty good at low levels, but the SoundDock sounds crystal-clear, no matter how loud it is... and the thing gets pretty freaking loud. I don't think I had it on 50% in the Bose outlet before I got scared and had to turn it down. That stupid employee kept egging me on.

Daniel.