Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
Thanks for your insight. I'm glad I'm not the only one facing this type of frustration with build your own systems. Don't get me wrong, it's fun as heck but when something breaks... or that new gpu comes out you want the latest and greatest... so you end up spending more money. It makes you wonder if comparatively, macs are really that much more expensive.

I think I'll go for it like you :D I'm definitely gonna wait for the Haswell refresh. I may get it this fall.. I have a 480GB SSD I'm sure I can just pop into the Mac. As for the 3 hard drives that I have, I suppose I can always tie them into my retired Core 2 system as networked drives..

I can see it having AC support because the new Time Capsules have it. I would like a system that lasts me 5+ years.. hopefully this will do the trick!

Good choice. Gaming rigs and do-it-yourself PCs are made of relatively crappy components, even if you attempt to buy top brands. I've had a similar experience, just random errors from supposedly name-brand parts.

There is simply no substitute for real engineers doing real testing and production quality control. 5 stars on Newegg isn't exactly an exacting standard.... lol. If you don't have time to waste, get a Mac.

Finally, when you truly compare feature-to-feature, you'll find that Macs stack up identically to PCs in value. The bonus is they're actually engineered as a complete system, from fans to motherboards to GPU to display, these are all custom parts designed exactly for the application. So when your computer goes to sleep, it actually wakes up properly. Macs hold tremendous value because of this, they are a complete system that you don't fiddle with. They just work. A PC, no matter the brand, will lose value faster than a turd at Taco Bell.

Macs aren't expensive at all. They just have more and better features.

----------

I just have one question for 2012 iMac owners:

Does it get super loud during full load?

I wanted to switch to a desktop because my 2011 MBP gets super hot/loud during my work(compiling/vm). The iMac 2011 at my work runs super quiet and cool, but I am a bit concerned about the form factor of the new iMac in terms of thermal performance.

I'll put it simply, my 2012 27" is dead quiet, fan or not. You can't hear it over a whisper.

Reddyt5

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2012
I love my iMac!! I just got the 27" on Sat. and it is AWESOME!! It only took 30 minutes to transfer files from my MacBook to the iMac via a time machine backup!! I was on the fence about the 21.5" vs 27" and the determining factor was the fact that the RAM is user upgradable in the 27" unlike the 21.5". I have had a few Window's machines and my last one just SUCKED!! :mad: So I jumped on the Mac train and haven't looked back. Even my mom who has been using PC's for 25 + years loves using Mac's. If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)
:apple:

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I love my iMac!! I just got the 27" on Sat. and it is AWESOME!! It only took 30 minutes to transfer files from my MacBook to the iMac via a time machine backup!! I was on the fence about the 21.5" vs 27" and the determining factor was the fact that the RAM is user upgradable in the 27" unlike the 21.5". I have had a few Window's machines and my last one just SUCKED!! :mad: So I jumped on the Mac train and haven't looked back. Even my mom who has been using PC's for 25 + years loves using Mac's. If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)
:apple:

The thing is everybody criticises mac (windows fanboys, trolls etc) but until you try one you don't know what you are missing out on, congrats on the new Mac.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Do you like your iMac? For those who have the 21" screen, do you wish you had gotten the 27"? How does it hold up with regards to video editing and gaming? Any quirks I should know of that I should think about before I decide to get one?

My gaming computer had its 3rd motherboard just die... me and my buddies think it needs a new power supply even though the one I have in it now is supposed to be a high end brand. I'm about to plow down another $500 soon and honestly I want this to stop. Gaming PCs are nothing but money pits. I would like something stable, hopefully maybe an iMac will give me that stability?

Last May I bought the mid-2011 27" iMac and I just love it for everything I do with a computer, including a lot of gaming. The Radeon 6970m GPU has been more than up to the task I've found, whether it be playing a game for OS X or rebooting into Windows 7 via bootcamp. Of course, the newest models are so much the better but I can tell by the way this one performs even with AAA games that I'll be fine for a long time before i am wanting an upgrade. And when I do, the resale value on this iMac will reduce the cost of a new one which isn't the case with PCs typically in my past experience.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I'll put it simply, my 2012 27" is dead quiet, fan or not. You can't hear it over a whisper.

Everything's relative I guess. I have a diskless 2012 27" (SSD only).

It's very quiet, for sure. But it is not silent. You can hear the air rushing noise from the fan (no vibration or anything). It's not as quiet as my diskless Mac Mini.

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway
Not for me, it is perfect! But, that is purely subjective. Everybody has their own likes, dislikes and needs.

I thinkt he 21" size seems perfect. Hmm, but since it is not upgreadable ram on its own I need to have 16G RAM right away.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
^^^Why not just get 32gb?

If I'm buying a machine that can't be upgraded (still a royal screwup on Apple's part whether you want to admit it or not) I'm going to max it out

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
^^^Why not just get 32gb?

If I'm buying a machine that can't be upgraded (still a royal screwup on Apple's part whether you want to admit it or not) I'm going to max it out

Because they only offer 16GB in the 21". Absolutely love my iMac I got it last November (specs below). I spend 9 hours on crappy PC's at work, and it's a breath of fresh air to come home and enjoy using a computer again.
So quiet and easy to use.
No Windows is installing 2 of 36 update crap or your virus definitions are out of date, please fix.
The screen is gorgeous. Crisp and a good colour gamut.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Do you like your iMac? For those who have the 21" screen, do you wish you had gotten the 27"? How does it hold up with regards to video editing and gaming? Any quirks I should know of that I should think about before I decide to get one?

Granted I've only had it for a day, I love my new iMac so far! Very happy I got it and didn't decide to wait. In regards to the screen size, I think the 21.5" screen is great. Of course the 27" would be great, but seeing as I'm going to connect two external displays I didn't find the 27 incher necessary. From the video editing I've done today, it has done extremely well.

CoinOP

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
Amsterdam
Everything's relative I guess. I have a diskless 2012 27" (SSD only).

It's very quiet, for sure. But it is not silent. You can hear the air rushing noise from the fan (no vibration or anything). It's not as quiet as my diskless Mac Mini.

The Imac IS dead quiet! You have to put your ears real close to the Imac to hear any noise. If that's the way you use your Mac I think you have other problems:D

snapdragonx

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
Good choice. Gaming rigs and do-it-yourself PCs are made of relatively crappy components, even if you attempt to buy top brands. I've had a similar experience, just random errors from supposedly name-brand parts. .

You do realise that Macs use the same components you can buy for PCs? Intel CPUs, Nvidia graphics, Samsung RAM, Samsung SSDs. Apple don't actually manufacture most of that stuff themselves.

I've been building custom PCs for years and aside from a DOA component or two (it happens), I haven't had the problems you've described.

I love Macs, but hate when people bag on PCs for no reason.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
You do realise that Macs use the same components you can buy for PCs? Intel CPUs, Nvidia graphics, Samsung RAM, Samsung SSDs. Apple don't actually manufacture most of that stuff themselves.

I've been building custom PCs for years and aside from a DOA component or two (it happens), I haven't had the problems you've described.

I love Macs, but hate when people bag on PCs for no reason.

Incorrect. Apple, like most OEMS, thoroughly test components from all their suppliers, etc to ensure they perform to the highest standard, don't fail prematurely, and deliver what Apple says the computer can deliver. Even the "commodities" like HDD and memory are extensively tested so they get the best ones, so the customer doesn't have to make an expensive (for Apple) Apple Care claim. Custom PC components are tested as much as Gigabyte, EVGA, etc thinks it should be tested, which may not be very much.

Source: I don't work for Apple, but I work for an OEM in another industry. You don't want bad components to mess up your brand.

I've also built 3 computers of my own which I used tirelessly. Last one overheated regularly. All had some kind of hardware problem (who knows what) causing me the BOD about once a month or a few months. And none could sleep/wake up right. Otherwise yeah they were fine....

Reolox

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
My wife and I both switch to the late 2012 27 inch. We run everquest 2 on the next to highest settings in bootcamp. Over the last ten years we've had dells, HP's, and a Asus that never made it long. Ive had mine for 4 months without any complaints. They are quiet and work very well. If they last even four years we will save quite a bit of money over the constant windows machines that keep needing replaced

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
Love mine, late 2012 27" 680mx model. Does everything I need it to and more, it's dead silent and it's a considerable gaming computer when I play games that aren't on my PS3. :)

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I have had a 27" 2012 iMac since last December and I have loved every minute of owning it. It's powerful, fast and looks stunning. I use it everyday and I never get bored of looking at it. If you're on the fence, I urge you to buy it if you can afford it, and if you can't, save up!

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
Just got a stock "late 2012 iMac" here in Nepal for only a few hundred USD over the apple web price. A brilliant machine! Takes a bit of getting used to, as the interface typefaces are pretty small compared to using my old 2008 iMac, but this box stays cool and is dead silent. Love it!:)

osiris24x

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2007
I'm personally fond of my 27" iMac. The larger screen is a must-have for me and is great for gaming in higher resolutions. The 27" iMac has some excellent graphics card options for gaming, mine can play anything on the market (except Crysis 3) at (usually) full res with all the options cranked, and I only have the 512MB GPU. Now that I have it, I can't imagine going with a smaller screen. Just my two cents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.