Do you meet Mac users when out "in the wild?"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dotnina, Dec 13, 2004.

1. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Yesterday I was in a coffeeshop, working with my 15” Powerbook. I happened to sit next to another person who pulled out a 15” Powerbook as well.

I was almost compelled to say something to him, like “Nice computer!” or something, but I didn’t want to be cheesy and I didn’t want to make it seem like I was hitting on him. Still, it felt like something should have been said, just to acknowledge the odd coincidence of two people with the same laptop sitting by each other!

So, do you guys ever talk to a stranger when you’re both sitting there with Apple laptops? Do you make eye contact or say hello? Do you just treat the person like any other stranger? Sorry to ask such a nerdy question – I’m still a fairly recent Mac convert, and I just want to make sure I didn’t miss out on the secret handshake or anything. ;)

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Usually if you say something to a Mac user about their computer, they are happy to talk about it. I've had a few fairly lengthy conversations with people I just met, talking about our macs.

A bit of a bad analogy, but I think it's kind of like smokers -- they are members of a minority group, so they seek out others like them for solidarity.

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

I travel a lot, and I'm always surprised when someone next to me pulls out a Powerbook (either in the security lane or one the plane). It doesn't generally lead to much conversation - it's more like when you see two motorcyclists wave to each other on the road; acknowledge the other's coolness for carting a Mac, but don't be a geek about it.

Conversely, I'll usually start a conversation with a guy using a PC next to me with "so, how do you like that piece of crap they make you lug around?" ;)

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I happen to see people with them all the time. Of course I live on a college campus and thus laptops in general are everywhere. From what I have noticed I'd say the percentage of people with a mac is about 30%. Alot highr than your average. Although I am sure that glowing Apple catches my eye alot quicker than a PC would.

5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Haha really? I think you're my new hero! ;) :D

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Just some form of realization, e.g. a nod, etc.. :)

7. justinshiding macrumors member

Although I can't say specifically for the mac since I don't have one just yet...

With other things I sometimes try to bridge conversations with people about like...if I see someone that has the same car as I do I'll compliment them on it. I honestly think most people (not all , but certainly a lot) are bothered by strangers talking to them. Maybe that's a Chicago thing...this is supposedly a very unfriendly city. Oh well :)

You're not the only one tempted to do things like that though.

Justin

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    hmmm, so lots of us 'think' about doing it but most of us chicken out. Conversely, most of us would probably welcome or be willing to talk if asked... what can we learn?

If the person is engrossed in work, then I leave them to it.
    If they're waiting for pages to load while sipping coffee, then I'll catch their eye and share a smug smile with them (note to self - only do that when you have your Mac out too!)
    If they're working on a PC, I try not to look condescending. I still feel slightly guilty over the time, I was in a cafe whose wireless connection was up the creek. I needed to check something so logged on via the cell phone modem and Bluetooth (slow but necessary!). A guy came in and sat down near me with a PC and tried to get it online but since wifi was down, couldn't... and was pulling his hair out since he could see I was online. :p

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'll say:
    "Nice computer."

But for a PC user:
    Me:"<snicker>"
    Them: "What?"
    Me: "That ugly piece of plastic..."

I've managed to get two people to switch this way. :D

10. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

I was at Yosemite National Park last month. They've just made wireless access available in one small area of their Lodge and a group of older gentlemen were sitting around a table, each with his own laptop, clicking away for hours on end.

I struck up a short conversation with them the first night, "So, they have wireless access? How does it work?"

On the second night, I saw they were back at the little table in the corner, so I said something like, "You guys are still here? Having fun?"

They were freindly enough and invited me to join them, "Get yours and we'll make room."

To which I replied - "No thanks, I use a Mac and I wouldn't want to embarass any of you with how cool it looks next to those [pointing at the PCs]."

11. mpw Guest

I don't live in a area with a lot of Mac users. I think I've seen 1 iBook and 3 pBooks 'in the wild'. The iBook user was head down and busy so I didn't bother her the 3 pBooks were all together and turned out to be some guys who seemed to have just started their own magazine (freebie ad-mag) and the first thing they did was rush out and buy matching Apples, and seemed to be learning how to use them 'on-the-job'!

I've had a few intrigued/envious Windows users come up to me when I had my iBook out in the coffee shop.

12. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

Chicago is considered the friendliest of the big cities. I don't know where you heard it was an unfriendly city. While it's not the same feeling as a small town where everyone knows you and your family, it compares very well with other big cities.

As for striking up a conversation with Mac users I don't know, I've done that in the past. I've found that Mac using strangers are generally open to having a conversation, whether it's about how they use (or don't use) bluetooth or whatever else. What's much more likely is PC people ogling my computer and once in a while asking what kind of Windows it has. (half kidding).

13. justinshiding macrumors member

14. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

I was at the Airport in Minneapolis this weekend, saw the iBook, complimented the owner on her choice in machines, then whipped out my powerbook. And went on with my own work.

15. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I've met some mac users when traveling with the train, the first one was a nice guy, he had an iBook, by then I had the 12" PB rev. a and were talking about them and none of us stopped of talking about macs until we left the train... the second one was a girl with an iMac, I was selling my eMac on the newspaper (No success), and she called me to ask if I could help her repairing her mac, nice one too, the 3rd one was a no-brain man who saw my iBook and said: I have a 15" PB and a powermac with a 23" display at home, my girl got a cube from me and I'm planning to buy an iPod for her... there was no more conversation, actually there was no conversation, I just turned my head and continued working...

Of course, in a very strange place (train) is pretty odd to find mac users and pretty difficult in Germany, so you always want to start some words...

16. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Heya,

I tend to remember that for many mac users, their machines are tools, rather than objects of beauty. Or at least, their beauty comes secondary. Not everyone is as interested in their 'puters as the good people of macrumors.com, and so I wouldn't wanna appear weird or anything in remarking.

I live in the UK, and certainly in my part of the UK, Northern Ireland, no one really sits in coffee shops with their laptops out - well, not often.

I bought my Powerbook in New York though, and people had macs out all the time when I was over. In fact, I bought the pb at the Apple Store Soho, and the day after, I was sitting in a coffee shop just around the corner from the store, and I took my Powerbook out, and a woman started talking to me. I let her hold it and all, she was well pleased, lol. Mine was the 12 inch model, and she was just remarking how small it was compared to her own previous gen 17 inch pb.

And at JFK on the way home, at the internet connection point in the departure lounge, there were maybe 7 outta 10 notebook users using Powerbooks / iBooks.

Gotta love Apple!

andy.

17. Mantat macrumors 6502a

I dont have my pb anymore (switched to a G5 tower) but everytime I see someone with a 'book' I either nod, smile or say 'nice computer' and the person smiles back seeing that I am wearing my iPod.

And if it starts a conversation, be carefull to not over talk about Apple: its way too geeky! Unless of course the other person is all into it too.

18. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

do i ever meet mac users when 'out in the wild'!!! thats how i met my gf!!! there i was sitting in a lecture hall of around 200 people then the cute girl sitting a couple people down from me opens up her iBook (it was an engineering class so there werent many girls there!). next class i bring mine, sit next to her and open my iBook. A couple classes later of doing this i finally had the guts to talk to her. I tried to bum jaguar off of her but she wouldnt let me, so i invited her to a party instead. Now, more than two years later things are going very well!!!!(she graduates in may and well, i took some time off :-/ though i am back and have a 3.6GPA!!! any company need a mechanical engineering intern?) i still say hi to people i see with apples (as long as they are not engrosed in some work) and everyone is nice. its a club. like when i drive my jeep. theres the jeep wave, you wave to other people in jeeps (wranglers and CJs only, sorry no yupies in their Grand Cherokees or Liberties) i should probably be quite about it, but im surprised none of you know about the secret apple handshake!!!!!

19. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I meet Apple users all the time

I meet Apple users all the time. My job requires frequent travel so I run into a lot of "single serviing friends" (what movie?) and road warriers. There is always some one with a Apple laptop. Unfortunaly my company issues only Dells :(

-evildead

20. Fredstar macrumors 6502a

Fredstar

Unforunately, unlike you guys in the U.S.A, there are very few Apple users here in the UK, i mean you see the odd one in a cafe but that is it. It is always a pleasure seeing another person using a mac.
    In the college i go to i only know 4 people in our year (of 150 or something) who own macs...1 is my best mate who kinda switched me, 1 is a mate i switched :p. I think you guys get the picture, i have never gone up to a random mac user tbh but i dunno, just because they have a mac i assume they would be friendly :p

21. brap macrumors 68000

Yep. Library, 4th level, is our wireless 'zone'. I'm the only Macintosh user. I really, really do have to keep myself from laughing out loud when I see some of the Big Black Bricks they lug around... it's quite amusing.

I've seen a couple of people using them around, and I was complimented many times at the start of the term by jealous types ;)

22. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

If someone is not busy, we might exchange glances of "yeah, we kick ass." Other than that, my University's School of Art and College of Technology are pretty much Mac shops, so when I am in either of those two, it is usually Mac people I meet. :)

Mike

23. dotnina thread starter macrumors 6502a

I’ve never actually started a convo with another PB / IB user (maybe just a hello, but not on basis of Mac ownership). On three recent occasions, though, PB users have approached me to talk about Macs. It did seem a little nerdy, but I wasn’t sure if it was a common occurrence between Mac users. Interesting. :)

24. Lau Guest

Yup, art/design colleges in the UK are the place to see 'em - in my graphic design studio at college we're always sitting in a line with a mixture of white and silver 'books all at different heights :) I should take a photo....

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

1 clamshell ibook(sp?) 4 years ago
    2 ibooks on university
    1 ibook recently on the steps of the museum

one fellow student mentioned he has an imac at home
    and 4 weeks ago i saw even a girl trying to print something on one of those 2 macs in the computer labs...

that's all my sightings/knowledge of people using macs out in the wild