Do you need an HD TV for Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nickhutson, Aug 22, 2009.

1. macrumors member

I would rather like to get Apple TV, but I don't have an HD capable TV - just a CRT TV with normal (some would say old fashioned) scart connectivity.

Is the only option with Apple TV via an HDMI connection? Pretty limiting if the answer's yes... and not a good incentive to buy!

2. macrumors regular

3. macrumors 68040

As long as the TV has a Component Video Connection (some SDTV's have this), it will work. Know that it will not be in HD though.

4. macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I just hooked one up to my father-in-law's old Mitsubishi set. It has a single HD input in component only, then 2 480p component inputs. He was going to get a component switcher after I left to get HD through the ATV as well.

5. macrumors member

6. macrumors 68020

leomac08

Yeah, i under stand you. and yes you can use a normal SD TV

I have a LCD HDTV LG 22'', with 720p capabilities, but I just can't afford the HDMI cable, it's like $30- to sometimes i have seen $99!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

so umma save money!

7. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The answer from Apple is "you need a TV capable of 480i component or HDMI input, wide-screen."

The actual answer is "If you're willing to muck around with funky cables and undocumented options on the AppleTV: YES!"

http://www.thecheapgeek.org/2009/03/24/161/

You do need an HDMI-to-VGA adapter to make it work; (or an HDMI-to-DVI-I, plus a DVI-to-VGA,) but you only need it for initial setup; so it can be borrowed (and you don't even plug them in to anything; just the adapters.) First, if you plug an AppleTV in to a composite TV, you will get a 'squished' (meant for wide-screen) black and white picture; but it will work, right out of the box. After you mess with some settings; and plug and unplug the adapters, you'll get proper aspect ratio, and color.

8. macrumors 6502

You can go to monoprice and pick one up for about $5. Hdmi is hdmi.

9. macrumors 68020

leomac08

Thanks!! i didn't know that!,:) but the nearest monoprice to me is 60 miles away!

Are they any cheap ones in Best Buy, or Fry's Electronics? (a specific brand)? any suggestions?

10. macrumors 65816

Monoprice.com would also work...

11. macrumors 6502

I didn't know monoprice had actual retail stores. I meant monoprice.com