Do you need the latest version of Xcode to submit apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by tbonewilly, Feb 23, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2008
    Mission Viejo, CA
    Do you need the latest version of Xcode to submit apps to the app stores? I am currently using Xcode 3.1.3 on a mid 2009 MacBook Pro running Leopard. Don't want to upgrade if I don't have to.
  2. ArtOfWarfare, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

macrumors 604

Nov 26, 2007
    I don't think so... although unless I'm mistaken Xcode 3 didn't have the ability to upload the binary directly to Apple and instead relied on a separate Application Uploader (I can't remember the exact name,) to do it.

So you'll either need to find a copy of that uploader, or upgrade to Xcode 4.

Edit: The name of the application you need to get your app on the app store using Xcode 3 is Application Loader. Application Loader, however, requires a minimum OS version of 10.6.8.

Here's the official documentation on Application Loader:
  3. macrumors newbie

Dec 27, 2010
    To submit iOS apps to the App Store, you will need to be a registered, paid member of Apple iOS Developer Program.

The latest Xcode and iPhone SDK tools come with the yearly $99 registration, so it is basically a non-starter.
  4. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    don't run on Leopard, which I believe is the OP's concern.
  5. macrumors 68030

Sep 2, 2008
    I think the oldest Xcode version that is supported for submissions is 3.2.6. I think any non-beta version after that is also supported.
  6. macrumors 604

Jul 29, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    You may need to upgrade to at least Snow Leopard in order to install a version of Xcode and the SDK that will allow you to submit iOS apps.