do you, or your friends, drive drunk or high?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...and not talking about a drink, but smashed?

i have a friend who has muscular dystrophy and drives with his crutch, and besides his already compromised physical abilities, will get behind the wheel (routinely) after 3, 4, or more drinks

i have another friend who takes 800 mg of morphine (for pain prescribed by an md) either once or three times a day and gets behind the wheel and when she first got on the medication she got into several accidents in a few months' time

people say that all you have to do is not let friends drive drunk or high, just like nancy reagan quoted, "just say no" to drugs and alcohol in the '80s but in real life, it's not always that easy to see or to step in

EDIT] ...or do you have friends or relatives too old/senile to drive but they still get behind the wheel?

what are your experiences?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I drove home from a marathon in Delaware once after having to medicate with Vicodin after the race. I wasn't "high" but so drowsy I shouldn't have been on the road, so yes.

Not proud of it, and haven't done it again. And yeah, it only takes once.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I've refused to get into a car when a friend was going to drive drunk. I tried to get his keys off him but couldn't. Fortunately, he realised that I felt strongly enough about it that he didn't end up driving home.

My sister worked in ICU and saw the results of lots of very drunk/high driving excursions. Her stories put me off. To be honest, in London you rarely take a car out because there's nowhere to park so it's easy to avoid drinking/driving.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not since I was young and stupid. Since then I've had to beat a couple friends down and take their keys when they were too messed up. Not fun, but once the cuts and scrapes healed they each apologized and thanked me.

Doesn't happen anymore, we've got plenty of floor space and people love stayin' at what they refer to as our 'B and B' in the country.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

Oh, and as far as the drinking, yeah, that too, but more in my youth.

Most of my friends have the money and are smart enough to call a cab. That's why I always prefer to keep the groups small, don't go party hopping and always offer the option at crashing at our place.

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

Driving Drowsy

i think nearly all of us have all driven, at least once, with a sip of something in our bodies, and some have driven with bac .08 (three drinks for 160-170 pound male in less than three hours), but driving distracted while using a cell phone or driving drowsy is also very dangerous and i remember dr. dean edell talking about those issues on the radio

i used to go to a class 130 miles away from home and this saturday class started at 9 am so i got up at five am, got ready, and drove to school...the class was a four hour ordeal and since i was in san francisco i wanted to let loose and party after every class meeting

coming back from class in the evening was brutal since i left late enough to avoid bay area rush hour traffic coming home (so i left after eight pm) but i could hardly stay awake in the last hour or so...my friend who also lived where i did, got up at five am, got to class at nine am, and by 2 pm he hit the road and avoided the rush hour traffic that way and never had to deal with driving home, as drowsy, in the night for 2 1/2 to 3 hours

with one ten week class and one twelve week class, both on saturday morning, it was a wonder how i got home safely...these days, i will never attempt anything that foolhardy

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

I did a couple of times when I was younger and foolish. Now I don't drink all that much anyway, so it isn't a huge issue. We have several spare beds at our place if anyone is over and needs to stay.

When I first moved to Chicago, my roommate and I would hold parties, but we'd make people give us their keys before they could drink. We'd always end up with a ton of people sleeping on the floors, but it was better than the alternative.

8. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

My friend and I were at a beach party and I was too drunk to drive and my friend was a bit more sober so he drove my motocross bike and I ws behind him. We were going pretty slow only around 45km/h and we werent wearing helmets(in europe lots of people dont wear them) adn we took a turn and there was gravel so the back weel gave out, we slid about 10 meters, thank god I was wearing baggy jeans cuz I didnt get one scratch on my legs and my ipod was in my left pocket and I slid on my right side so it was perfect. But all my the skin on ym fingers was missing and I got 2 stitches on my head. With all the adrenaline I didnt know I was hurt till about 20 mins after, it was pitch dark aswell so I didnt notice.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's one of the reasons I moved to the city- no car needed! Just get trashed at the bar and jump on the bus or the train. Of course, there are several places I can just stumble home from in my neighborhood. :)

10. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Drunk? Once or twice when I was young and foolish.
    High? Never.
    Above legal limit? Possibly sometimes - it corresponds to only two beers :eek: (I often wonder driving home the next day after a party if I'm still over the limit...)

A few years ago, a French couple got suid for letting there friends drive home drunk. They were sued by the family of a person killed by the drunken-driver-friend.
    I think it's terrible people being killed by drunken drivers, by should we really call the cops to say our friends just left our home, are drunk, and refused to stay until they were sobber?

11. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Only once. And though nothing happened, I realized that I took a HUGE chance and have been very careful since then not to put myself in that position. It takes a lot of self control to be able to admit that you've had too much to drink and hand the keys over.

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

if i wanted to (i don't take much to overdrinking at my age), i would have to walk/stumble six blocks from the nearest bar/restaurant, but at block #3 is the police station ;)

for some stupid reason, locals and tourists cannot resist the only wide street in town and like to race/open up their cars at this spot (drunk and sober) which happens to be right where the police station is

and even more unrelated, i was in a punk band with a lot of noisy expensive music equipment and we used to practice right down the block from the police department...that is until they fined us for $234 dollars or something like that

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think everyone who's ever been in a band has gotten fined for noise. :) I was too way back in the late 80's.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I drive high from time to time. Vere rarely though. I seem to drive just fine. I have friends who have driven drunk and it scares me cause the swerve and all those things. Only I ever do when I'm stoned is I'll be driving and tell myself I need to slow down, then I realize I'm going about 5 under the limit. All my friends who have been high and driven did just fine. They are just mellow and listen to some good music. Also I've only done it at night. And in this college down roads aren't very busy late at night and the road is to myself. There isn't many distractions to turn my attention away.

jon

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

But you can't really be in the right state of mind to judge this, surely.

16. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

17. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I never have and never will under any circumstances drive drunk, but I've driven high several times. It is certainly a Bad Idea,™ and when I'm older (assuming I don't kill myself by driving high) I'll surely look back on it and shake my head in disgust. That said, I've always felt in control, and have never had trouble concentrating on the task. I feel that of the two evils (high and drunk) driving high is the lesser. Studies (i know, i know) have shown that while being high impares your ability to make decisions and watch the road roughly equally to being drunk, high drivers tend to drive more cautiously, while drunk drivers tend to drive more recklessly.

18. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Don't drink (or drive) myself, but I have a friend who, at one occation, drove around drunk and made a mess out of a newly serviced soccer field. Was even in the local newspaper, but at that time they didn't know who did it. Good thing no one got hurt.

He said he'd never drink'n drive again. No idea if he's kept the promise, but at least he hasn't been in the news lately. :p

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

In college I did a lot of stupid things, including driving when I should not have.

As an adult, the worst I have done, and it was not good, was to work a day on a friday, go home help the wife with the kids, then get in the car and drive 5 hours to navy reserve duty. Sometimes, while on duty on a saturday, I would not even remember the ride at all. Scary and stupid.

20. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

Ah driving under the influence. I used to drive drunk every so often. These days I mostly drive high. Once I met a guy with a 3' bong in his car named Michael Jackson. I used to drive while on Acid, once I was pulled over for having a tail light out then released while tripping. I know someone who has driven while taking Nitrous oxide hits also.

:eek: :confused: :eek:

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't drink and have never have had a drink of alcohol or any illegal drugs. So it's an easy answer, never drove under the influence. Have seen the results many times, its just not worth taking a chance.

22. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

Hopefully you don't kill someone else either.

My 19 year old brother got into a car with his friends after a party and the driver was drunk. 2 teenagers died that night. One of them was my brother.

23. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

a stint in er really made me see the light

i was past drinking too much, but it was amazing to see that 95% percent of the drunk driving injuries coming into er were under 30, perhaps under 23 or 24 and many were under 21...too many

of course, since i was a seasonal help worker for er in the rainy season, i got friday and saturday nights so i have no idea who showed up banged up and drunk sunday through thursday

24. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

25. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

That would be the Emergency Room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.