Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Will probably get the 5C for my wife with the case.

Holding on the slate 5S and sticking with my GS4 for a little longer. My GS4 is a nice phone, but I don't love it like my 4S and iPhone 5. If it continues to do silly, annoying, unintended android like things, I'll probably get the 5S before year's end.

Samsung is supposed to get 4.3 done in October. If they prove they aren't inept and get an update done sorta timely, that will go a long way with placating me.

Just curious, have you no interest in Nexus? Aside from the soft keys, I feel like it'd be a better phone for you.

Djlild7hina

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
I was looking forward to an 128gb option for the 5s but sadly that wasn't the case. I'll probably stick with android and go Note 3

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If you took out any mention of "Apple" nearly everything on this list would scream mid-range device. It's actually pretty remarkable how far the first iPhone and iOS has carried them -- great head start and continued superior marketing. I'm not being sarcastic. It's truly remarkable.

ku-xlarge.png

ku-xlarge.png

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Just curious, have you no interest in Nexus? Aside from the soft keys, I feel like it'd be a better phone for you.

I'm at the point where I want a nexus but don't want to buy tech that doesn't have LTE and will be replaced in a month. If google put out the same phone as the 4 with LTE I would buy it right now. I know that's a low expectation but everything else I need the nexus does.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Was anyone else as underwhelmed as I was?

Unless you have ignored every leak/rumor put out over the past few weeks, I don't see how anyone could be underwhelmed. Everything released today was exactly what was rumored and Apple hasn't offered a 'one more thing' surprise in years. I was unimpressed, but was unimpressed many weeks ago so what I saw today was no surprise.

My attention is now turned toward the upcoming Nexus phone and KitKat unveiling.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I'm at the point where I want a nexus but don't want to buy tech that doesn't have LTE and will be replaced in a month. If google put out the same phone as the 4 with LTE I would buy it right now. I know that's a low expectation but everything else I need the nexus does.

Oh, I meant the next Nexus. Sorry for confusion.

----------

Unless you have ignored every leak/rumor put out over the past few weeks, I don't see how anyone could be underwhelmed. Everything released today was exactly what was rumored and Apple hasn't offered a 'one more thing' surprise in years. I was unimpressed, but was unimpressed many weeks ago so what I saw today was no surprise.

Same here. I'm completely indifferent to the news. I tempered my expectations, which is sad in itself. Just surprised by a few things: 64 bit (cool, but not sure what that means); the 5C unlock price ($549, ouch); and the hideous 5C case. It was shockingly ugly. Heh.

My attention is now turned toward the upcoming Nexus phone and KitKat unveiling.

Ditto. I sure hope those leaks were really the Nexus...

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Well not all rumors are true...hence the name rumor. The the whole presentation was well....lacking.
Then $549 (16GB) and $649 (32GB) was unexpected. i thought it would be less considering it was supposed to the phone to take China by storm.
No mention of the new MacPro no mention of Haswell rMBPs...Apple TV?
iWatch? Pretty shiny colors and less substance....underwhelming.....
I will wait for the IP6 next year and see if they go with a larger screen...
But i am with you on the Nexus 5....

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
After todays slight bump in specs and color options, I am really not going back to iOS.
Will be enjoying the Note 3 until next year to see what Apple brings.

JH-

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Is anyone else surprised that apple is retiring the 5 and not the 4S? Why are they keeping two different connector types on the market?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Is anyone else surprised that apple is retiring the 5 and not the 4S? Why are they keeping two different connector types on the market?

It may be due to accessories. I still have a few car docks that work with my 4S and have not bought a new iPhone partly because of this. I have two cars also that use the old connector and I can use that with my Classic as well. I don't want to have to get a new stereo in each car and then not be able to use my Classic or 4S though I could bluetooth the 4S or use the AUX port but I don't like that.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I was seriously considering going back to iOS with the 5C. But that off contract price is absurd for that phone ... and suddenly, my S4 is looking perfect to me :)

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
After today, I don't think it's a big issue for them. They will do what they want to do and always have each and every year.

And they will still sell a gabillion phones and have their loyal followers buy them.

They march to the beat of their own drum and have built up the reputation to do so.

But when is the downfall if ever?

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
And they will still sell a gabillion phones and have their loyal followers buy them.

They march to the beat of their own drum and have built up the reputation to do so.

But when is the downfall if ever?

That we know for sure. I won't be one of them this year just like I was not last year. Nothing impressive. It's all about contracts again or paying insane prices for unlocked versions.

Though I still prefer iOS apps over Android (comparing app version to same version), I will be buying the next Nexus.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I was seriously considering going back to iOS with the 5C. But that off contract price is absurd for that phone ... and suddenly, my S4 is looking perfect to me :)

The 5C is not a budget phone. It's a higher margin iPhone 5 replacement.

Big difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.