Do you prefer the 5.5 generation Video iPod or the iPod Classic?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Godric, Nov 10, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

After reading to many reports about the iPod Classic's sluggishness, I thought I'd ask people who've owned both the Video and the Classic which they preferred.

2. macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I much prefer the Classic. Better battery life, updated visuals/features, far greater bang for your buck capacity/price ratio, along with all the perks of the 5.5 hardware, it's a win/win for me.

3. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Classic, it's the only one that's big enough :cool:

4. macrumors Core

Dagless

5.5G

I can't stand the Classic, think it looks a bit ugly IMO. I'd love a Classic UI on a 5.5G though.

5. macrumors regular

Carrot007

Got to be the 5.5 here.

Since rockbox does not yet work on the classic how else can i play my flacs on the move.

Once rockbox is ported to classic thoug hthe extra space would be nice though.

6. macrumors 68000

Classic all the way.

It's just plain beautiful, and the front is extremely hard to scratch. (compared to 5.5G, where the instant you expose it to the air it is scratched)

The UI is actually more responsive than my 5.5G was after I updated my classic to 1.0.2. If you run 1.0, however, it is PAINFULLY SLUGGISH. (dont know why someone wouldnt update)

7. macrumors 68020

The classic is my first iPod - because it's the first one I've liked enough to want to buy :)

Doug

8. macrumors 68040

Phil A.

The classic without any shadow of doubt - it's awesome :D

9. macrumors 68000

kuebby

I like the look of the 5G, feel of the classic (brushed aluminum), strudyness of the classic, and the UI of the 5G.

10. macrumors 6502a

Mac OS X Ocelot

Question: do the classics have the flat face like the 5G or is it rounded like the older ones. They look rounded in photos. I hate the flat face. It's annoying to hold. Aluminum ftw.

11. macrumors 68000

aafuss1

I like the ease of getting video-out on the 5th gen compared to the classic.

That is-if you have a classic, you'd need a new dock and cable, while for the 5.5, the old dockand cable could be used-and no authentification chip means more compatible accessories compared to the classic, which requires this chip on the cable and dock.

12. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Hmm hard to say since I haven't tried a classic. One big plus would have to be it's not as prone to scratches as the 5G was.