do you reccommend camino?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macOSX-tastic, Sep 13, 2005.

1. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

do you recommend camino as a stable web browser for OSX? im considering giving it a go. please tell me if this would be a potential mistake. i already have firefox, and that seems to be a little buggy, going back into history and things, not registering clicks etc. safari is good but pages sometimes take ages to load and sometimes dont load at all. i will not try IE for obvious reasons. seeing as camino seems to be mac specific, it could be better, no?

thanks

tastic

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I use it a lot on OS X, and it's certainly one of the better browsers. No issues with stability, even when using Nightly Builds.

But your best bet is to try it out for yourself. It's competely free, so you have nothing to lose but time.

3. redynvre macrumors newbie

I prefer Camino over Firefox. It runs a lot smother. Stability is good, it does quit on you, but very rarely: It happened twice in three months.

Once in a while you run into a web site the will not work properly, but it is quite rare too.

Otherwise it is fast and have all the features I need. I use it more than Safari, and now I hardly use Firefox.

4. lexfuzo macrumors 6502

no, I don't recommend it...

...but I certainly recommend that you try it! :)
    It definitely can't be a mistake to try a browser that is optimized for OS X, free and open source.
    I might add that Camino is a very good browser indeed, I just happen to like Opera better. Mainly for cross-platform reasons, that is.

5. GreeneGirl7 macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

I really like Camino. I recommend downloading the stable version. The nightly builds tend to crash on me, but the stable one is great. I prefer it over both Firefox and Safari.

6. macOSX-tastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

ok guys, im trying it now...

seems good so far but let me use it for a day or two, then i shall be back with the full report!

tastic

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Though I use Safari as well, Camino is my main browser (and has been since its very early days), and so, two tips:

The nightlies are of varying quality (some add great features, others are very unstable), but the preview of 0.9 is great, and FAR better than the latest stable version, 0.8.4 which is MUCH older. If you're going to test it, do yourself a favor and use that version.

If you do a lot of typing in text boxes--long forum posts, for example--then you probably won't like Camino. There is an issue with the way it draws text that causes long chunks of text being edited to take increasingly long to respond to input, to the point that typing in a box with several paragraphs it it can have the words onscreen lagging your fingers by half a sentence.

8. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

This problem has been about for ages, can't believe its not been resolved!

9. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I'm a big Camino fan (though I'm posting this from Safari!) and also use it as my main browser. It's stable, consistent and fast enough ...

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

*cough* (warning: contains language)

11. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

:rolleyes:

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Last edited by dubbz : Today at 12:47 PM. Reason: Happy now, Nermal? ;)

Yes, I am :)

Actually, I've just been waiting for an excuse to post that :D

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

To the OP, I'm glad you're giving Camino a shot; whenever my Safari starts getting bogged down and slows a bit I'll swap to Camino. I used to use Firefox for that until I read about Camino here on MR and decided to give it a try so I like it! :p

14. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Camino is definitely a great browser...I use Safari more however, mostly out of habit and because I like the .Mac integration.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Last time I used Camnio, there was a bug that popped up every now and then where typing in textboxes lagged a lot. Is that still there?

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Full stops (periods for you Americans) are so 2004! ;)

Edit: AAAAAHHHHHH! 5000th post! AAAAAHHHHHH! :eek: :eek:

I'm going to go outside for a little while now. :eek:

Edit 2: It's all right. Nermal will probably delete this post in a fit of embarrassment anyway. :p

17. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I like to think of the emoticon as being part of the sentence :).

18. Makosuke macrumors 603

As I said above, sadly yes. I don't notice it until about the third paragraph of typing, but it's pretty annoying.

I guess the reason it hasn't been fixed yet is it would require doing the text entry system in a significantly different way, but on the positive side they're claiming it'll be fixed by 1.0, if not the final version of 0.9. As it's the biggest outstanding issue, I can certainly see why it'd be a priority.

19. pigwin32 macrumors regular

My pet peeve, how everyone in the IT industry in New Zealand pronounces cache as kaysh instead of cash, boy that burns me, mutter mutter.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i would probably have no complaints if it were not for the insanely annoying lag in typing (as previously described) that is infuriating! i just won't have anything to do with camino until i know they've fixed this very major problem.
    it is a nice cross between safari and firefox, which i love both... so once they get their shiiite together and fix that text lag issue i'd be happy to use it.

my $.02

21. pammyspyce macrumors regular

pammyspyce

I used to use Camino for all my web surfing, but the issue with the lagging text when you type in text boxes drove me bonkers. The most recent Safari update made Safari just as fast as Camino was so now I use that.

22. Makosuke macrumors 603

Just as a heads up, the first alpha of 1.0 was released today--available right on the front page of CaminoBrowser.org. They claim some nice under-the-hood fixes, so it's probably worth trying.

So far seems fine to me, although I haven't typed anything long enough to confirm whether the text entry bug is improved significantly.

23. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Cache isn't money. Therefore it isn't cash. :)

24. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Frankly, the thing that bugs me the most about Camino is that I think it's ugly, lol. I like shiira more, if due only to the tabbed browsing and the cool effects it has when you navigate from one page to another.

25. mersea macrumors regular

Ugly? The only reason I'm using Camino is because I find brushed metal ugly and didn't find a nice firefox theme..