do you recommend a clean install?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by BakedBeans, Nov 4, 2004.

1. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

im experiencing some slow down on my machine... ive zapped ive fscked and ive repaired...

what do you suggest? i used macjan and onyx....

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Have you looked in the Activity monitor (or top in terminal, ps -aux),
    some apps (like anti-virus) can often take up much cpu power)
    If you don't have too little RAM or a very full HD, it may help.
    First i would try to create another user and see if it helps.

Else, I would do a Clean install (with "Save and archive users" - not sure if that was the right name...)

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

If you do an Archive install, it will save all your users folders, and application folder. Everything else will redone by the install making it a basic reinstall of the OS but no need to readd users or applications.

4. BakedBeans thread starter macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

well i just did a full install (erase and install) and this baby is flyyyying

5. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I just did one on my PBook, it's like new again! :D

6. iSwitch macrumors newbie

I did mine too. When i received my ibook, i immediately installed OSx without partitioning the HD, in my experience it is easier to manage your files when you have a separate disk than cramming all your files in one logical drive. After a month of using with only one logical drive i decided to partition my HD. Now i have two logical drives on my ibook.

Having an external HD connected to your system give you more options.

7. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS do an Erase and Install. I've seen nothing but trouble doing an Archive and Install. Most people don't repair their permissions before doing so which screws everything up. Sometimes there are errors in the installation that you don't know about until afterwards when it starts to crash and kernel panic all the time on you. Then you end up backing your stuff up and doing an erase and install anyways. It doesn't take that long to install Mac OS X and it doesn't take long at all to update Mac OS X if you use the Combo Updater. It should take no longer than 30 minutes to put all of your Applications, Documents, and settings back in. So you're not really saving only 30 minutes. I'd rather spend the 30 extra minutes and put everything back on and then I know everything is completely fresh with no problems what so ever.

I don't know why Apple or Microsoft makes that an option because all it does if screw things up.

8. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Yeah, thats what I'm talking about. I love the fresh installs.

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...well, I (and countless others) have used "archive and install" without any trouble at all. Personally I have used it on a few Powerbooks and my old G4, going from 10.1.x to 10.2.x and then to 10.3.x....no trouble on any of them. When 10.4 comes I will also use archive and install and I'll bet I don't have any trouble there either. Sure, just like anything it does not always work all the time for everyone but just because a small minority have a problem is no reason to trash the idea....oh yeah!

10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've yet to have a problem with archive installs. Perhaps you're thinking of the Upgrade Install (which seriously messes EVERYTHING up)?

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Archive and install is just like Erase and Install. Archive and Install will replace anything that was installed by the OSX installer with what's on the disk. Archive and Install w/o preserving users is still sweet - because it deletes everything - installs to the root of the dir, and then moves the old stuff into a "Previous Systems" folder. Which is faster than saving **** to a FW drive because of physical data copying. Usually takes about 45 minutes for the amount of data I copy. It's instantaneous when moving from /Previous System/Users/jon/ to /Users/jon because they're on the same disk. Just a quick logout/in and everything's peachy. Only problem I've had was with some fonts that seemed to be disabled. Dunno if that was my doing or not. Couldn't remember - but it kept Addressbook from opening. Other than that Archive and Installs rule.

12. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

I normally re-install OSX every six months. I just love the 'new computer' feel :D

Also, because I like to keep my computer clean and free of junk, it helps. Of course, I know I dont have to reformat every six weeks (unlike Windoze ;)) but I do :D

13. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

How do you do a re-install if you have a 6800 card? Panther doesn't recognize it without the drivers so I'm sure I can't boot off my Panter DVD.

14. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i have asked this in my own thread about it but no one is replying to it :( so what happens with your purchaced music from itunes if you do a clean install? when you reimport your purchced music does it take it that you have put it onto another computer (so effectivly you can only reformat 5 times or so?) or does it recognise that its the same comp and just kind of lets it work?

15. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've done Upgrade Install from 10.1->10.2->10.3 no problems whatsoever!
    I've always been running repair permissions often, and always before(and after) lagre installations.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You de-authorize your computer before you reinstall anything. ;)

17. russed macrumors 68000

russed

and how do you do that?

18. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says.....in iTunes, go to the advanced menu and choose de-authorize. If you want more info, how about going into iTunes and choosing the help menu - it is all in there.....oh yeah!