Do you recommend buying a laptop with superdrive or should i get an external DVD burn

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by igmolinav, Sep 14, 2005.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2005
    Hi !!!

Do you recommend buying a laptop with superdrive or should i get an external DVD burner like the La Cie DVD burner?

What are the advantages or disadvantages to the external DVD burner?

Is it a "better performer" than the super-drive, the La Cie can write/rewrite/read at the following speeds 16x/8x/2.4x ???

Is La Cie the brand you would recommend if for an external DVD burner ?

Thank you,

ignacio molina
  2. Euan macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2005
  3. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

Aug 4, 2005
    well for me having it built into my pb i think is the best. i dont wanna be tied down to only burning dvd's at my house, because i WASNT GOING TO BE CARRYING the external with me...and the way those work, jus like external HD'S...the smaller...the more $$$ ...and if you can think of it as an advantage the external can burn DUAL SIDES ...BUT from what i hear each dual-layer blank dvd are like $10 EACH...
  4. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    only if you'll need it.

I have the a combo drive on my laptop, and i dont regret not getting the superdrive because i dont use it. However, i do regret not getting the largest hard drive upgrade, because im all ready running out.
  5. lopresmb macrumors 6502

Apr 29, 2005
    not too sure about the perfomance issue, but I kinda do like the "lightscribe" thing, where you can brun an image on the top of the DVD, that seems like a kinda cool thing to me, no more sharpie pens or grainy printed labels
  6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Hello, you may want to check the site about the Lightscribe dvd burner. From what I've read and from my frined that has one it takes 30, Yes 30 MINS to burn the image on the dvd/cd and sometimes you may need to do it two times to get it nice and sharp.
    So with that said I bought a LaCie 16x Porsche drive (DL 4x) and speed is very nice if you just burn at home. Cost for dvds can very and if you looked around you can find a deal: just to help.
    I use my LaCie with my new iMac and iBook (iBook has a combo drive as the iMac has SD).
    Back to the looks of the dvds, they do look nice only a tad bit dull.
    This could be an issue or not the "Lightscribe" dvds only come in "+R" format as of now and it hasn't been rumored when the "-R" format will begain to show up on shelves.
    Just something to think about and enjoy your decision ;)
  7. Euan macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2005
    If you want convenience and want to burn where ever you are then i guess the SD would be the best thing to go for.

as others said, take your time and think about it.
  8. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004
    When I bought my Powerbook I opted for the 100GB HD instead of a superdrive. I mean how often am I going to be at a cafe or maybe on the Great Wall of China and suddenly say to myself; "damn if only I had my dvd burner with me".
  9. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002

I have the Lightscribe and really like it. The labeling is pretty nice because you don't have to worry about printed CDs where the ink never seems to dry completely and it looks a way better than writing in the CD. That being said, a full CD label takes a little under a half hour to "lightscribe." Not too big of a deal for me though.

More on topic though, it really depends on your situation. If you don't need to burn DVDs on the go I'd advise an external. Much faster burning and optional dual layer or double layer or whatever it's called.
  10. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2002
    An awesome place
    I did that very same thing, I got the Combo drive PB and then got a LaCie DL DVD Burner. They come with Roxio Toast Titanium which is awesome. I decided not to get the Lightscribe, because Disks are expensive and they burn a little slower.

16x is great, 4.3GB of data in about 8 minutes. :)

I don't regret it one bit.
  11. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2005
    Superdrive all the way. Now you may not need it, but in the longer run it will come in handy. Personally, I am gone skip that Dual Layer thing and wait for the Blue-Ray.
  12. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    The Epson printers that can print right on media work pretty well. Every now and then you get one that doesn't print as centered as you'd like, but you'll never notice it as it spins in your player. ;) Print quality is very good, at least on mine. And the media is pretty cheap, considering it has a special inkjet-printable surface.
    <Ferris> If you have the means </Ferris>

Back OT, I decided against a Super drive in my PB, since I have a dog-ass slow DVD burner in my iMac G4. Figure I'll eventually get a new external burner that will be faster than what I would've gotten in my laptop. Of course, if you think you need to burn DVD's on the road...
  13. lfielder06 Guest

Dec 5, 2004
    FYI: The internal superdrives on pbook/ibook/mac mini do not burn at 8x. I burned a dvd the other day and it took over 30 min. to burn. This seems more like 2-3x at best. I use my external all the time now and really really regret spending the extra $185 on the internal SD. I think you should go with the 100GB hard drive then worry about getting an internal dvd burner. MCE Makes real 8x dvd burners that I was looking at getting.
  14. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Aug 4, 2005
    if you're getting an ibook, no

if you're getting a powerbook, yes
  15. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Happened to me just yesterday... ;)

Seriously, I think it's a great feature and worth the price. If you are going to do serious burning though (high quantities, dual-layer, etc.) you should probably opt for an external, or perhaps both. External drives will always have greater speed and reliability (at least for the current era of slot-loading burners).

As lfielder06 has alluded to, you should be aware that many owners of recent SuperDrives are upset and have petitioned for a fix. They all complain about 2x speed. Some think it's firmware, others think it's a drive revision issue. I personally signed the petition, but haven't burned many DVDs yet (but I still love my SuperDrive, hehe).