Do you regret getting one over the other? (Desktop vs Laptop regret)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vidd, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I keep changing my mind over what to get when both the iMac and Macbooks seem such attractive purchases but fill different niches.

So I thought rather than sitting going back and forth over the matter, the best thing would be to ask in this forum if people who have made similar decisions are content with their purchases or if not, why.
    I'd like to know what influenced your decisions and why you feel as if you made the right/wrong choice.

For those wondering, I'm considering either the 20" iMac or the base "Blackbook" and I'm currently working on:
    3Ghz P4
    512MB RAM
    Radeon 9200 (?)
    1024x768 15" Screen

2. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I bought a desktop because I do video work and I like feeling having the fastest PPC mac.

3. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

I don't regret having my 2 year old PMG5 (this May), but with my new MBP, it has become clear that I almost don't need the desktop. Simply keeping the keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and buying an external hard drive, I could just use the laptop as a desktop if I wanted to. However, I still love my PMG5, which is quite a beast even now, in terms of processing everything I throw at it with the greatest of ease. Too bad I have a crappy graphics card, but I don't do anything that graphics-intensive anyway.

4. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I've always been a laptop user. I need access to my computer when I'm at home, on holiday, at university and at my girlfriends. Therefore a laptop is the obvious option.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't care what I do........I'm never buying a desktop again, or at least not for my main computer.

Once you go lap', you never go back.

:eek:

6. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Ooh, I'll have to remember that one:D

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Did you not see the :eek: smiley? Even I thought it was lame. :p

8. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Oww, I thought it was quite good:eek:

:p

9. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I think unless you're a high end professional who really needs the power of a high end desktop, you'll never regret getting a notebook.

10. russellelly macrumors regular

For me the solution is easy - have both!

I have a 3 year old iBook G4 which is now pretty miuch used for watching videos and internet browsing. Great for connecting to my DVR, and perfect for taking away, and into uni if I need it there.

Then at home a few month old iMac, which is also a TV replacement with its 24" screen and eyeTV (though I'm not mad on eyeTV - would like a nicer solution).

I'm sure my next purchase (though not for a while) will be another laptop as te G4 is showing its age somewhat. I can't imagine not havng either - they're both very much in daily use.

11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I need a laptop because I'm a college student and am constantly taking my computer to and from classes, the library, home on holiday... so on and so on.

That said, I'd never pay the money for a laptop if portability wasn't a necessity. You DO pay a premium for that portability, and if you're just going to leave it on your desk anyways, then why? The iMac has a bigger screen, a bigger hard drive, faster processor, dedicated graphics... all for the same price as that blackbook.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

My purchases alternate between laptop & desktop. The last computer I got was my PowerBook G4 and before that was a PowerMac G4 and before that was a PowerBook G3, I think. So the next will be a desktop, most likely an iMac.

13. Mattydj macrumors regular

I regret buying a Dell Inspiron 6K. I could of had an IMac for my hard core graphics work and my macbook to be used when on the move. Now i'm stuck with two laptops. Dell going on sale soon to raise money.

The most popular response is if you're a college student or need to access your work from other locations.---Go Portable
    If you're into the normal stuff like surfing the web, working on stuff like movies, graphics etc----Desktop

Also one other thing i've learnt: NEVER get a new mac with 512 RAM Because frankly they're useless with that memory level. (Trust me based on user experience :p )

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I know you were quasi-kidding, but I actually did "go back." I started off w/ a gorgeous 12" PowerBook G4 that I loved, but I just, really preferred desktops... so I eventually got a 20" iMac G5. Fast forward a year and my sister needed a replacement lappie and she admitted that she wanted to get an Apple over her current Dell. I offered her my PB if I got a new iBook. At this point, I still used my iMac all the time, my lappies, rarely.

It wasn't until just last month (when I sold the iBook and got the C2D MacBook) that I started preferring a laptop. Will I forevermore be using a laptop more than a desktop? I doubt it. (Especially since I'm guessing one reason why I might be using the MB more is that the iMac doesn't have a built-in iSight :eek:)

15. jordygreen macrumors 6502

jordygreen

I'm actually in the same position as you but on a model up from them. Like i'm not sure between a 24" iMac or basic MacBook Pro at the moment going into college next year means that there is a possibility of needing a laptop but they have iMac's there so i'm not sure. But to be honest unless you really do need portability i would go for the desktop, i think that is what i will be doing.

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have a desktop, and while it would be nice to have a Laptop (which I am getting anyway at the next revision) I love having a big screen and amazing speakers. If I had a laptop instead of my iMac, I would probably have an area that it sits every once in awhile where there are speakers, external HD, a docking station, etc. But I love my iMac, and I'm getting a MBP too, so I am getting the best of both worlds!

17. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

well sometimes I would like a bigger screen than my MacBook, but otherwise not much else.

EDIT: I also just want an iMac if that counts.

18. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You could go for a MacBook + big external harddisk + separate mouse + nice 20 inch monitor.

19. Vidd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I don't know why I didn't think of that but that'd push the price up quite badly.
    I'm leaning towards the iMac but I'd really like to be able to bring a laptop into different rooms etc..

20. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I bought an iMac for the larger screen and the video card. I went with the iMac because I thought I'd use the video card for some gaming (I haven't yet.), and the larger hard drive, etc. Looking back on it, I should've gone with the middle-spec'd White Macbook and saved up for a 20" display.

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If I didn't need a laptop for school, I'd certainly go desktop. More power, less money.

22. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

I have switched macbooks to imacs......and find the imac more to my taste.... But since i had a few bad one went to the HP iq770 and will wait till Apple gets better QC!!!!

23. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

you might want to try vista before getting rid of it......it amazing :)

24. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

i don't regret getting my PB as i knew i wanted portablilty in Uni. and the iMacs (G4) at the time were not what i really wanted interms of speed and price as a desktop.

I would now like to have a desktop machine along with a laptop.

25. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

me, too. my order goes g3 imac --> g3 dual usb ibook (my very first laptop) --> g4 cube --> ibook g4 --> dual g5 --> macbook. every time i alternate, i think what a great decision i made. but most recently, i question my move to the macbook, wondering if i'd been better off with an imac. i generally use it only at home exclusively in one room, attached to a 20" display, external speakers, mouse and keyboard. i can count on one hand the number of times i've taken it outside my house; the macbook essentially is my desktop. i wouldn't say i regret it, but i do wonder if i'd been better off with an imac.