Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imlovinit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I used to have a pearl white bb bold which looked amazing. Switched over to iphone 4 and then 5 both of which were black. Decided to switch up with iphone 6+ and went with the white/gold. No regrets at all. I'm not someone who finds the white distracting and I don't place gender on anything especially something as silly as colors. :rolleyes: whatever you think looks good, go for it. Forget stereotyping.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

iphone-5-black-and-slate-008.jpg

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've always had a black iPhone (iPod Touch -> 4S -> 6) and didn't regret them. But now I've bought a 2015 MacBook Pro, replacing a 2011, and the black bezel seems really weird!

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
IMO. when it comes to a bezel around a screen, there's just no compromising - it really should be black. The white bezel is just too distracting. Nothing on the phone should compete with the display, and the white does. In the case of a white bezel, it's simply "function follows form" when it really should be "form follows function".

I prefer black electronics in general. When the trend switched back to silver products (what was it 7 or 8 years ago) it was like a trip back to the 70's. Ugh. :mad:

My vote is for the black/space grey phone :) It's the only color of iPhones I've ever owned, and I am very happy.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
First thought that crossed my mind was, 'there was a black and white screened iPhone?', just like the iPod 3G before the iPod Photo.

On topic, however, I had black/dark phones since the 3G, and changed to white for the 6+. It's much easier to find in a dimly lit room now :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Given the lack of choice in colors with the iPhone, its hard to regret my choice. I don't like the white and gold models so that only leaves space gray. Even then, its in a case most of the time.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have the silver iPhone 6 Plus in white and really like it. I purchased the white just because I've had and liked the white phones for the last 3 phones. However with the larger Plus size, I kind of wish I chose black or space gray this time. Would just make the phone look a bit smaller - kind of like wearing black.

I love the bigger Plus phone and for me I hardly use my iPad anymore - maybe charge it every 7-10 days. But it is quite bulky looking in spite of the slimness. Next time I'm going for the black phone. I won't be upgrading until the 7.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Depends really. I use the Apple case in dark blue leather. With the case on, the black phone looks so dull and boring, almost like any Android-phone out there. However, as soon as I remove the leather case, its heaven all over again.

To be honest though, I miss the gold iPhone 5S I used to have.

Sometimes I'm thinking of going back for the following reasons:

- Much more premium design (probably the main reason)
- The old camera was actually better in my opinion
- One handed usage

But then I stick with the iPhone 6 for the following reasons:

- 4.7" screen
- TouchID works A LOT BETTER
- Screen quality.. These "Dual domain pixels" or whatever they are called really makes the screen pop like nothing else. Text looks printed!

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I have a silver, but I wished I bought the gold or space grey. The space
grey looks nicer with a lot of the phone cases, and the gold looks really
good with a clear case.

If I decide to get the iPhone 6S, then I will get a gold one. It will be a
change from the silver that I have always had.

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
I've been unconsciously keeping a pattern, going from white to black to white and so on. Currently I have silver iPhone 6+. I don't really regret this decision... i'd be changing phones in a year or so anyway. I just go with whichever color looks nice to me for the current model.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I have space gray. Honestly after purchase my color choice hasn't even crossed my mind. I guess that means I'm happy with it.

Or the type of person that just doesn't care about that. I notice the color of peoples iPhones especially with a white face but I never thought much about it.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
No, I do not regret my color. I like the gold on the 6/6+ better than the 5S (seems less tacky). Also, I prefer the white screen because it doesn't show the fingerprints and smudges as bad.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1
The white has some bad press, in that most basic teenage girls use it etc.

Omg I have become a basic teenage girl! *shriek* Lol. Honestly I wish I had gotten the Space Gray 6 Plus because I think the back of it looks better then the silver. The silver with the white lines makes it kinda look like a toy. Plus the bezels on the large screen makes it worse. It looks good on the 5s, but its too much white space for a large screen phone IMO. I don't notice it when the screen is on, but its mainly when the screen is off. I was originally gonna get the Space Gray, but thanks to Verizon I had to preorder an hour late. If I wanted my phone on launch day and wanted 64 or 128GB, I had to order Silver or Gold.

Next time I am getting Space Gray.

by slate he means black. The model is called slate gray.

Thanks guys. Always thought it was space grey. Just started With Apple back in December.

It is Space Gray. It was called Slate originally. Slate was available on the iPhone 5, original iPad mini (before they changed it to Space Gray in 2013), and earlier 5th Gen iPod Touches, Shuffles and Nanos. Slate scratched very easily and led to the iPhone 5's "Scuffgate". With the 5s, they introduced Space Gray and all product lines after that changed to Space Gray.

Slate iPhone 5 on the left, Space Gray iPhone 5s on the right. Its not Slate Gray, just Slate.

slate_vs_gray_iphone5s.jpg

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
i had a gold 5s then a silver 6 plus. then gold 6 plus. i like the white faces better for some reason

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Not really. Even though I had a gold 5S, I still got a gold 6. Something about the gold is beautiful to me, but the space gray 6 is gorgeous as well. I might get a space grey phone the next time around.

EdMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2011
Michigan
I've always had black phones but got a white iPhone 5. I liked the look except when it wasn't on. I really like the white/silver combo as it looks clean but went back to the space grey iPhone 6. No regrets but I do wish the Touch ID button had a silver ring.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
I prefer the black bezels of the black iPhone 6 for media consumption, but the touch ID ring looks so dull, and in my personal opinion, makes it classy, but dull on the other hand.

The white has some bad press, in that most basic teenage girls use it etc. However I am considering getting white to complement my Macbook Pro...

I know this is a pointless first-world problem, but please share your opinion on the White vs Black debate, and your own personal daily driver colour, and why you like/regret some of the aesthetic features that each colour offers.

And as for gold, nah.

I have a gold 6+. Love it. No regrets.

I had a space grey one before that. Just didn't do it for me so I sold it and got a gold one.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I've always liked black-bezels, but ever since the 5S, I'm torn. That ring around the Touch ID sensor looks so awesome to me. I will probably always stick to space gray (black) because that's what I'm used to, and I know I like that, but will potentially switch to white someday. I just feel scared getting something different because my family uses contracts for smartphones, and you are stuck with what you get. Maybe the Touch ID ring would look cool if they made it a more lighter gray like the back of the phone? It seems to stick out more with the 6/6+ like they did make it lighter, but only in bright light. The 5S seemed to have just a nasty light gray circle as the Touch ID sensor against then black bezel, and it has always looked ugly to me. Things match up more now with the 6 I think.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I ordered a white and black iPhone 6 (I prefer the white one). For whatever reason, I double ordered the black and the white was canceled. I occasionally miss the white.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.