Do you repair apple computers?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mblazened, May 2, 2003.

1. Mblazened macrumors regular

Just passed my desktop and portable certifications today. Woohoo!

This is my first thread too, kick- ass!

Anybody here work as an apple tech or repairman? What's your location and stuff?

-m

2. vniow macrumors G4

I do it as a hobby, may want to get certified one day..

What do you have to do to get that?

3. Mblazened thread starter macrumors regular

Well, i think if you are employed by an apple service center, you get a tech id for free, and you can use that to study their training materials that are available online. That's how i did it.

If you are not an in-training repairman, you can buy the testing stuff, and i think that buys you an id so you can access the online resources.

i took 3 tests: one for portables, one for desktops, and one for the mac os.

Desktops was the hardest test, but all tests are medium difficult. You can pass them easy if you review all the material provided.

-m

4. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    s'how i make my living, that and setting them up, installing etc...

i'm not certified in any way, but i would like to be, just for piece of mind really, plus it's also more clout for new clients.

5. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

How do you get this training.. and how do you become an apple reseller.. I just checked thier site and can't find anything...

Thanks

-Doc

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm a lab technician at a university, so I repair PCs and Macs, but I don't have any certs.

Getting Apple certified would be cool, but tech isn't going to be my career, so I'm focusing on grad school instead.

Congrats! :)

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I actually worked as a lab tech at the tech school where I got my graphic design degree.

Now I work as a designer/photographer, but get to fix the machines at my day job whenever something goes wrong. I'm also the one my Mac friends have been going to when their systems freak out. ;)

no certs though...it's too expensive and wouldn't really make me marketable...

8. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
  9. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

where/what is the cert. for apple, after I take my stupid school computer class I'm gonna take A+ cert (microsuck cert for repairing) but I haven't seen an Apple Cert...

10. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

i do it as a hobby, even though i can only get get into the pre beige g3s ( i dont have experience with newer models. i can get pretty good with any pre beige g3

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Congrats, Mblazened.

My repair experience is from the "school of hard knocks," meaning that I had no formal training but learned a lot from experience in my school volunteer work. At the peak, I was taking care of 185 Macs singlehandedly, and I was surprised how many times I'd run into a hardware or software problem that I'd never seen before. Starting as a bumbling beginner, I've done enough that I feel fairly competent at routine hardware upkeep. But sometimes I get in over my head. That's when I called someone like you, who has the training or resources to give me guidance, back me up, and get me out of a jam.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Do you repair apple computers?

i did warranty work for dell, compaq, and apple, but never went out on any apple calls...that should tell you something there as to what kind of machine to get

fixing pcs is an easy way to make money, and potentially a lot of money...apple techs starve and usually have to find another job to do...even here in northern california...apple techs are like the maytag repairman

the apple repair stores in the area also fix pcs to be able to stay in business since now, especially, apple products are so darn sturdy and reliable

apple does not make any parts cheap designed to break down and keep the repair industry alive as do pcs...where it is a lucrative racket

my advice to you is, if you like macs like me, but want to make money fixing macs, also learn pc repair because my guess is that that way you will have absolute job security

programming jobs come and go, as do dot.com, e-commerce, network techs, and web page designers...but the only job in high tech that has lasted in the silicon valley is fixing computers...particularly pcs

my advice for new computer users who don't want to spend money on repairs and troubleshooting...buy mac;)

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

would anyone like to tell me where and what the apple cert. is?

*under MrMacMan's breath he says 'like I said before'*

14. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

15. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

16. Mblazened thread starter macrumors regular

So, nobody out there is an apple certified repairman? Not much competition i guess. Cool to see that many of you dabble in apple repairs.

I work at a repair shop in hollywood. We get lots of macs in from production and stuff. We also build final cut systems.

If anybody needs any repair advice, i'd be happy to give my two cents- i'm certified!

:cool:

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

are there a lot of video professionals using pcs?

i never get anyone who claims to do video, as my customers...is it even viable to use pcs or are they just not built for that kind of thing?

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

those tests are pretty easy, well kind of. the hardware tests were pretty difficult, software was a cinch though, server is the big kahuna. but none the less congrats, not an easy feat to pass, go for the server test, that is really impressive because its hard.

iJon

19. Judo macrumors regular

Congratulations!

Yep I'm an apple techie :) All the way down in little ol' New Zealand.
    Have been certified for about 1 and a half years now. I found the exams pretty easy, but there's still so much I don't know. My works putting on some OSX training soon which I'm looking forward too.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If/when my iBook takes a crap, I'll just buy that. $300 fixes my current problem and any future ones to boot. Plus, it can't hurt to have the certs if I ante up for the testing too.

21. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

being a pc certified tech, microsoft, i look at the apple certified techs and give them a lot of credit because if you want to get apple certified, you have to go the extra step and pay that 300 for training and that definitely weeds out someone who is not serious

because of the commonality of pcs and pc related certifications, there becomes a huge wealth of test and prep information free on the internet, and becuase of that, many who do not want to be techs, or who are just curious, end up getting certified in a pc related subject

in the end, it really lessens the worth of the pc tech related certification to have many certified, but non working techies...i can't imagine someone paying apple 300, studying, passing the test, paying for that also, and not wanting to join the techie field...therefore, there are no paper certifed apple techs like there are pc paper certified techs

i have heard of a lady who does not want to have anything to do with cisco routers who passed the cisco ccie certification just for the challenge, but that challenge cost no less than thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of test preparation

22. boskie macrumors regular

I am tech support for AVID and Protools systems at work, we use a combination of Powermacs - for our Offline editing suites - and IBM Z/M-Pros.

I am also about to embark on the whole certification route myself - inc FCP and DVDSP training.

You can gain a Tech I.D. for free and buy the aforementioned course materials and study at your leisure.

First i'm gonna use this promo to purchase a PowerBook G4 15? with SuperDrive (M8859) - last OS 9 bootable, as a Engineers machine.

Note that this offer runs out June 15th and they're trying to get rid of surplus obviously - 970's? 15" Al?
    Here's hoping:D

23. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

wow, that's really cool

i didn't know fcp had a certification, too

what is that ibm machine you refer to and what kind of stats does that machine have? i don't assume it's one you can get at circuit city or compusa?;)

24. boskie macrumors regular

Dual Xeon Z-Pro and M-Pro's, which were the preferred PC machines shipping with AVID MediaComposer and Symphony, now they ship new compaq evo workstations. Haven't tried them yet, but i presume they're just as good.

I REALLY wanna try AVID on a new Mac Desktop w/ OS X, my company only has 9600/9500 running OS 8.6 - standard chips at the mo but i'm doing some research into AVID compaibility with upgrade cards, it seems to be hit and miss depending on particular machines!

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

after much searching on the ibm site, i finally found a dual 3.06 ghz xeon Z pro, with 1 gig of ddr ram, and a 64 mb video card, and dvd for under 4000 dollars, usd...not bad compared to a high end powermac

i wonder how good these pc machines are?

in all my travels as a pc repairman, i still have not even seen a xeon running pc machine...i know the xeon can take a lot of level 2 cache which makes it good for large bit of information