Do you sill use your wireless keyboard and mouse?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pilkenton, May 5, 2013.

1. macrumors member

pilkenton

My letter E on my keyboard stopped working, so I replaced it with a*Z-Board gaming keyboard. I stopped using my wireless mouse a long time ago because I got tired of changing the batteries.

2. macrumors 6502a

I am using my (wireless) Magic Mouse for 4 years now. I use recheargable batteries which need to be replaced/recharged every 2 months.

3. thread starter macrumors member

pilkenton

I use rechargeable batteries too, but they never lasted more than a week.

4. macrumors 6502

My magic mouse I used for a few months, but the rechargeable batteries only last three weeks... Alkalines last about five. Lithium about eight weeks. Still, too much to keep replacing them all the time... Went back to using my Expert Mouse (trackball).

Keyboard I used until the batteries went dead, about 2-1/2 weeks. Bought a wired keyboard to avoid it.

Seems to me apple must have a investment in the battery business. Wireless is not needed for a desktop computer, except under very specialized occurrences.

5. macrumors 6502

eattherich

I'm still using the wireless keyboard/mouse that came with my iMac but each day I get closer to ditching the keyboard for a wired one as I'm too impatient to wait for it to wake when the iMac wakes. :)

6. macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I never warmed up to not having a 10 key pad on a wireless keyboard so I use the old wired keyboard because it's got a great 10 key pad and I dropped using a mouse years ago in favor the magic trackpad.

7. macrumors 6502

yes and no but i do use my trackpad .

8. macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

They have an induction rechargeable kit for magic trackpads an keyboards. I just use the apple rechargeable batteries. Be aware that osx doesn't report remaining charge properly with rechargeables because the hardware doesn't report it properly. Also, I the machine is left on rather than turning it off and leaving the wireless devices on, it will last longer.

Since my mini is always crunching, I get a month out of my batteries.

9. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Still using my MM and wireless keyboard. Thinking of giving the tracker pad a try though.

10. macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Yes, still using both wireless keyboard & mouse. I got the Apple rechargeable battery set at the same time --so I just rotate the batteries. It's not a problem to me because I love the compact keyboard and the mouse (to me) is great once I got used to the sensitivity (a couple of days).

11. macrumors 6502

I bought a new iMac last summer. It came with a wireless keyboard and magic pad. I used the keyboard for a day or so and found I missed the 10 key number pad. So now I am using my usb keyboard from a previous iMac and the magic pad. I don't see the advantage of a wireless keyboard for a desktop machine. Changing batteries is a pain even with rechargables.

12. hfg
    macrumors 68030

hfg

13. macrumors regular

14. macrumors 6502

I use the Apple wireless keyboard and a Logitech AnywhereMX mouse because my desk is aluminum with a clear glass top. I got tired of replacing the batteries every few months so now I use lithium batteries that last about 6 months before replacement.

15. macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Love my wireless keyboard and magic mouse. I do have a wired gaming mouse but I only use that while playing Skyrim, D3, etc. For everyday use though I can't stand to not have the features of the magic mouse. Batteries usually last about 3 months in the mouse which isn't too bad. Keyboard I've changed the batteries in once, maybe twice, and I've had my iMac since August 2011.

16. macrumors 65816

I use a wireless Microsoft mouse 2009 (which came with a keyboard also), and a wireless Logitech keyboard from 2004 (which came with a mouse also). Both work perfectly fine.

17. macrumors 6502a

Man, what are you guys doing that drains your k/b and mouse batteries in 2 weeks?!

I have rechargeable NiMH batteries for both the wireless k/b and the magic trackpad. I have a couple of sets, so that when they get low I can just swap them over and the second set can charge up without me being without a keyboard.

Bear in mind NiMH batteries have a relatively high self discharge rate, so you can't just charge them up full and then keep them in a drawer - charge them just before you need them.

When my k/b or trackpad says it is down to about 10% battery I charge up the second set and then swap over when they charge to full.

18. hfg
    macrumors 68030

hfg

That's where the "Eneloop" NiMH batteries are good ... they do not self-discharge when not being used, whether on the shelf, or in the keyboard. Always ready to go with full power!

19. macrumors 68000

TyPod

I'm on my second wireless keyboard because a few keys on my old one stopped working. I think I spilled something on it to make it stop working but I can't really remember. I have a wireless Mighty Mouse which the scroll button stopped working within weeks of purchasing it. Now I use a Magic Trackpad and I absolutely love it! Love the look and feel of the wireless keyboard, though I've been thinking of pulling out my old wired Apple Keyboard for a change.

20. macrumors 601

Wireless mouse and trackpad here. No way would I go back to a wired mess of peripherals when there's a wireless option that works just as well.

21. macrumors 6502a

smoking monkey

Hope none of you negative Nancy types complained about the internal super drive being lost.

22. macrumors 6502a

Using a wireless keyboard, mouse and trackpad. Have 4 sets of rechargeable batteries (1 always in the charger) and they last 4-6 weeks per peripheral. Love my wireless input devices!

23. macrumors regular

I find the 'Magic Mouse' to be far too small and flat to be at all comfortable to use (perhaps I have big hands). I also find it to have some sort of weird lag, and awkward tracking speed / behaviour. And finally, while I tried to use it for a few weeks I got sick of changing batteries more than every week.

I got my iMac with the wired, full-sized keyboard instead of the dicky little wireless one.

So no, I'm not using any wireless input devices.

24. macrumors 6502a

Love wireless. After years of cables galore on PCs, finally settled on this combo.

Missed the 10key numeral pad also, so found one that is matching, use the trackpad for multilingual gestures, and the mouse because I need it's accuracy when editing videos. Simple gestures on it also.

Re batteries, yeah, the mouse is starting to burn through them a bit quicker then previous, but I put this down to a batch of cheap batteries I bought.

Attached Files:

25. macrumors 6502

Wired Keyboard for me (i need the numerical keys) and so far so good with the magic mouse. I change the batteries every 10 days thus far.