Do You Sleep To Procrastinate?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SamIchi, Oct 2, 2006.

1. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

That usually happens with me. If I have a paper due or somethin, I usually get tired and take a nap. I could easily sleep for over 12 hours a day when given the right circumstances. It's like my body just gets really sleepy knowing I have to do something. Then I usually stay up all night writing the paper.

Why can't I just not go to sleep and get it done on a normal schedule?? Have I made my mind and body this way by giving in to the urge to sleep, when I'm supposed to be writing a paper?

2. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I don't go to sleep, but I sure can think of 10000000000000 other things I could do instead of what I should be doing. :rolleyes:

3. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Never. Instead of sleeping, i look at this website :D

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah. sleep isn't a procrastination tool for me at all.
    for me its just finishing that level in a game. or posting on MR or what-have-you activity. i'd stay up thinking that i know that paper has to be done.

although i have intentionally put off a paper until the morning of the day it was due. why? because i didn't want to write it the night before and i knew i could pump it out without a probelm in that time frame.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Oh yeah. I can be wide awake, but when someone tells me to do work, I get really tierd and (inevitibly) fall asleep:D

6. w00tmaster macrumors regular

I do more often than I should

however, at least for me anyway, if I am stuck on a really difficult problem sometimes I will actually figure it out in my sleep, then I usually wake up and go to the problem ASAP so I don't forget what I was thinking of.

It has to be said though that more often than not I will say, "I will wake up early tomorrow morning and do it" and then I dont....

7. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I used to do that, until it became really bad for my health, because I would only have like 6 hours to sleep before having to wake up and work. Then I would stay up from like 10 pm to 4 pm the next day and repeat the cycle, each night getting less and less sleep.

Now I just eat to procrastinate, and thanks to being naturally tall and anorexic type skinny it doesn't look like that'll become bad for my health.

8. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I eat to procrastinate too. If I don't get sleepy, then I'm hugry, gotta have a good meal before work :D

9. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

I do a lot of things to pracrastinate, sleeping would be just one of them... :rolleyes:

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I wish I could get to sleep at the moment. Maybe reading sleep threads will help. :)

11. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I don't sleep to procrastinate, but I procrastinate by sleeping. :D

Actually SamIchi, in my school days I used to have the same problem as you. Start reading a textbook and I could feel my eyelids getting heavier. But switch to a science fiction novel and I couldn't be more alert. :rolleyes:

12. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

To the original poster: Yes, I do the same thing.

It basically comes down to this... Would I rather be sleeping or doing a paper? I can have a full 9-10 hours of sleep at night and be tired/take naps the entire day between classes, ect. (Im in college). But like today, I maybe had 6 hours of sleep last night with NO naps today, and look at me-- it's 3:30 in the morning and I'm still up. :confused:

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

That is insane. I was thinking of the same exact thing this afternoon. Yes, I find myself taking a little naps to procrastinate.