Do you smoke?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by calebjohnston, Mar 25, 2006.

Do you smoke?

1. Yes

66 vote(s)
  2. No

319 vote(s)
  3. Occasionally

43 vote(s)
  1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    I just picked up an old habit, and I was just wondering how many other people out there are with me on it. I have huge problems with anxiety, but I feel incredible now for the first time in a long time.
  2. MattG macrumors 68040

May 27, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
  3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    No. If I'm going to commit suicide, I'm going to do something much more imaginative
  4. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    This needs to be a poll.

I can see the attraction and have smoked on rare occaision. But it's a vile, disgusting and completely unnecessary habit. As much as I believe in various freedoms, smoking is one thing I would happily banish from the Earth. I'm greatly looking forward to the UK smoking ban coming into force so I can enjoy nights out without smelling like an ashtray afterwards.

It might help your anxiety. It's much more likely that it's a subconscious thing though. If your anxiety has become particularly bad then go seek medical advice, don't use it as an excuse to damage your own health and the health of people around you.
  5. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

Jan 9, 2005
    At the Airport. UK
    i dont smoke, and i never will......but i dont object to people doing it, they certainly have the ability to make their own descisions, and i dont think it requires my input.

6. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2004
    in the toe-jam of greatness (Fort Worth)
    I smoke
    started when i started to oxford
    quit school for a couple of years and quit smoking
    started back to college and unfortunately picked it up again
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I smoked for 18 years, quit 6 years ago.

I do miss it from time to time, and yes, it helps calm.

Have you thought about a script for Buspar? It's non addicting, unlike the benzodiazepenes.
  8. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2005
    No, I don't smoke. Which shouldn't be too suprising considering that I'm 13.
    It might help your anxiety, but it's hurting your body, the medical system, and in effect, everyone.
    There are other ways to help you get rid of your anxiety, and don't be afraid to ask for help. :)
  9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I could've smoked last night for the first time... but I decided not to.

So no, I haven't ever smoked.
  10. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    You are talking about cigarettes, right? Your post and mention of anxiety seemed rather vague in implication.

To answer the question - yes, I smoke cigarettes.

As far as the anxiety-relief goes, however, you do realize that chemically, your body is experiencing the opposite. Nicotine is a stimulant and the relative lack of oxygen in your blood also functions to make your body work harder.

That said, the time I force myself to take out and have a cigarette, functions as almost a meditation - as I focus on little else than my five minutes with just me and a cigarette. Smoking also often functions as a social buffer, as an activity to engage in when you can't think of something else to do when you are in company and slightly nervous. In both cases, this can serve as a pretty big crutch and I would imagine this is one of the factors that makes quitting so difficult.

These days, it is pretty hard to ignore the health and financial costs of this habit. At my rate of smoking, I spend about $1000 a year to actively damage my health.

So, why do I still smoke? Well, because I like smoking. It is as simple as that. It is a chosen vice. And I try to take responsibility for it's effects.

I exercise. I watch where and when I smoke (not around children, near people eating etc.). I clean up my butts (I keep a jar). I don't mind the various smoking bans. It is alot like drinking for me, another vice. I like to drink, but I don't get so drunk as to make a fool of myself, or impinge on someone else's good time. I don't drive drunk, and don't drink when I have responsibilities soon after (like an important day of work in the morning).

So, if smoking is working for you, good for you - make that choice for yourself - but have no illusions as to the costs and responsibilities of that choice.
  11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I only smoke when lit. :p

Talk about having money to burn. There are much better things to do with that money. For the price of a pack, you can eat from a value menu or save towards a CD or something you need.
  12. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    hah. some funny responces here. I'd try. but I just exhausted myself from running around Springhead from shop to shop trying to find a place that sells big boxes of Maltesers for mothers day.

I don't smoke. I live in a mountainous place. I'd rather jump off a mountain if I wanted to die. Just to get that falling feeling.
  13. bursty macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2004
  14. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Haha, well said. I'll second that.
  15. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I don't smoke, though I have tried it a few times. Every time, I think it is the most disgusting thing out and I just can't understand people's initial attraction to it.

On a side note, the government have just introduced a law, where all cigarette packets have to have graphic pictures of the detrimental health effects. They're really gross - gangrenous feet, diseased lungs, blocked arteries and mouth cancer.

It will be interesting to see the effect they have. I have heard some people say that because of the pictures they want to quit. But on the other hand I've heard others saying they're just going to by a case to put them in.
  16. TMA macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2003
    I smoke.

And yes I also find it really helps a lot with anxiety. Better than going to the doctors.
  17. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
  18. zach macrumors 65816

Feb 14, 2003
    i don't smoke cigarettes. the thought to me is just gross, you're inhaling toxic smoke into your lungs that does nothing but provide a mild stimulant effect.

might as well just get some mild stimulants on their own, caffeine/yerba mate, something like that, or just take nicotine in gum/patch form.. smoking cigarettes is just stupid.

i have enjoyed a cigar every now or then though, it's a very different thing to me as you're not breathing the smoke into your lungs.

i've smoked a cigarette one time and i never will again in my life.
  19. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    don't kid yourself, you're getting a lot of smoke into your lungs when you smoke a cigar.

I myself enjoy a cigar every once in a while. I've smoke entire packs in a few days and never developed a habit --- i have one once in a while when a friend of mine is smoking and i don't feel like standing outside with them not doing anything.

I'm a big supported of anti-smoking campaigns -- Smoke Free Hamilton (there are NO smoking sections anywhere in my home town) was the best idea i've seen in this city. I've heard of a campaign against smoking in parks and streets ( L.A ?) i really like that one as well
  20. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2005
    The poor section of Connecticut
    I used to smoke like a chimney, but not so much anymore. I'll go 2-3 months without a cigarette and then when I put on a really good buzz, I might have one or two - just enough to remember why I quit ;)
  21. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Can't people keep their moralizing to themselves?

22. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    do i smoke?

only when i'm on fire....

<drum crash>

just the occasional cigar...
  23. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    I did and quit 6 years ago. It was stupid then and is stupid now. And I am sorry, but the logic that smoking helps with stress is fine, but the logic that smoking to fix that is easier than going to a doctor's isn't fine.
    Think of all the doctors you'll see when you have cancer.
  24. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    i smoke on occasion

and why the hell are a lot of people being so hostile.
  25. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I smoked for 20 years and just quit cold turkey 5 months ago.