Do you still having nightmares from highschool?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Oct 23, 2004.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    I do? I am 29 and I still waking up in the morning scare to death because I didn't study for the test or the final we have today or I forgot about that homework!!! I graduated 10 years ago and I still having those flashbacks in the morning, of course they make my life so nice when I realize it was just a bad dream but God! I can have a heart attack if I still dream that in my 80's :(
  2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I have dreams about getting beat up, and made fun of.

And I still have 2.5 more years of high school left.... :(
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I still occasionally do and I'm in my 40's.
    But more often these days, they're replaced by something far worse... dreams.

Am going through a stripped miniseries at the mo, none of them any fun.
  4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I have had nightmares for the last 3 nights about Game 7 or the ALCS.
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    yeah i have nightmares of work and school

it sux, but i guess its a reaction and way of coping of things that we hate but cannot voice to the people we work for or our educators

school nightmares are getting rare for me now though, college has showed me the positives of education, hence why i want to be a professor at some point
  6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  7. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    High school sucks. I still have 2.5 years left and I dread ever day of it. I ususally find myself in class (probably not learning anything) writing on the desk waiting for school to get out. Of course, skipping last peiod always makes my day a little better. ;)
  8. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    I've had a few since graduation. Maybe HS is meant to haunt us for the rest of our lives. :D
  9. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    I don't have nightmares about high school anymore. But I do know I hated it, and was glad to be out. The irony is I now work for a school district, and my office is in the high school. :p
  10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I don't get or have any H.S. nightmares. H.S. did not suck, and, hell, before I went off to college, I even said I wanted to stay in H.S. If anything, I was scared about the workload and tougher classes at college. I learned plenty of things at H.S. and am still learning at college. I never once wanted to skip class or attendance for the fun of it, unless it was recommended by the professors for some reason...I guess because I was/am so loyal to and supportive of H.S. and college and reasonably so, I never had H.S. nightmares and, come to think about it, never will.

I did not enjoy grades 1 to 8, though, because at my particular elementary, students and teachers intentionally got personal with me on touchy matters.
  11. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    dude I still get up on Sundays, worrying that I forgot to do homework do Monday, but then I realize its Sunday (after checking my cell phone of course).

And by the way, this applies to college as well, but it was a definite high school worry as well. Oops, I guess this doesn't count as a dream haha.
  12. Wes macrumors 68020

Jun 22, 2001
    I enjoy school for the most part. This is my last year before I go off to a university or Cambridge (if I'm very lucky). The only 'similar' experience I have with this is waking up on a Saturday morning and thinking, 'Yes! Double math first periods!", before realising the reassuring truth and going to sleep.

The converse of this is more frustrating, waking up, thinking it's a weekend and then coming to the realisation that I have to get up and be ready to go in ten minutes.

They say you don't remember all your dreams; I'm sure I had nightmares about my old French teacher but I have never remembered them.
  13. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

May 10, 2004
    I Come From A Land Down Under
    My maths teacher from the mid-eighties still gives me the horrors. Running into her in the local supermarket recently re-birthed all of my memories about her, especially when the class mucked up, and she(unlike many other teacher's) lowered her voice, and layered with that disappointed voice all women get, and told us she couldn't do our work for us, and made us do 5 hours (the amount of h/w, not the actual time taken) and made us do that for the next day and if we didn't do it, we would get a detention and a note home. I had a food tech. teacher also during that time frame that was a bit¢h, and with all of the prac's that we did, always picked on me and my friend that i did the prac's with.
  14. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Definitely no nightmares from high school or college. My nightmares are of more recent events though. They follow the same subject matter each time, not able to resolve.
  15. Arrowww55 macrumors newbie

Couldnt agree more...

Very seldom...but I still do. Sophmore year I was told by my principal that if I messed up anymore, I'd be expelled. So this steroid pumping jock challenged me to fight, and i had to back down to protect my academic future by saying, "I'm ur bitch". Its amazing how long hate can stay in your heart....
  16. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    i don't remember any dreams i have, thanks to the copious amounts of dope i smoke before bed. But when that's not possible, i rarely have dreams about HS... moreso reoccurring dreams that began in HS, which were probably about the **** i went through, just heavily covered by the subconscious... i had a ****** time in HS so I spent a lot of time in therapy for a couple of year trying to forget.

17. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003
    damn i love the honesty here --no pulled punches at all haha.
  18. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    i had nightmares the whole summer after college that i hadn't graduated, was missing a credit, etc.
    but i've heard of other people having the same types of dreams...
  19. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    My HS experience was decent. Remembered in wistful nostalgia and amusing anecdotes as opposed to nightmares.

I actually never have nightmares. Occasionally I have dreams that are somewhat unsettling, but also very compelling. I am usually more interested by the nature of the experience of dreams than anything else.

Fascinating stuff.
  20. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    High school is fun. I get really fed up with some of the 3 year olds that attend this school who have somehow managed to get 17 and 18 year old bodies, but it isn't hard to ignore them. Most of the time...

If you find a good group of friends, and don't associate with people who are idiots then everything should go fine.

21. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    high school kicked butt no nightmares at all good times all the way
  22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Great topic, mymemory!

I wonder if students who work hard in school are more likely to have "missed the test" dreams or "forgot to study for the test" dreams or "can't do the homework" dreams because they are more concerned about school, compared to students who shrug it off. If so, it may not have to do with how well you do in school, but rather how hard you try. It would sure be interesting to see a study about this or statistics about it.

Lacking that, I can contribute one more person's worth of experience, which doesn't really match my theory. I didn't work exceptionally hard in school but did well anyway, have finished college, and have a "missed class and here comes a test" dream now and then, including one last night. And no, I hadn't seen this thread before bed!
  23. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000

i do get dreams that i didn't study for a test or that i missed an entire semester of a class that i forgot i even signed up for...but not from hs but from college and i graduated ten years ago's so strange

the only high school dreams i get are romantic dreams and how much anguish that whole dating scene was then...i had a semi girlfriend or two in 11th grade and a real girlfriend in the second semester of my senior year...but i spent the whole four years wanting a girlfriend...and i graduated from high school 22 years ago

at my 20th year hs reunion it was terrible how much i forgot and how much it seemed like we all aged, but in some respects, or at least when the alcohol kicked in, it seemed like no time had passed at all...but then most of us would talk about our high school or middle school aged kids and then that would bring reality back in and no matter how you slice, it we are all now middle aged...some of us just hide it better ;)
  24. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    :eek: :(
    Please don't scare me!

I still have a couple of years left...
  25. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    high school doesn't have to be scary or's really what you make of it

many, if not most people will say that it was the happiest time in one's life...don't be scared to join clubs, sports, date, and have fun with friends...that can make all the difference for most of us

and since most people will go straight to full time or part time work after senior year in high school, the rest of life can seem hard, tedious, and stressful by comparison and you will hear statements like, "your school years are the best of your life" and if you make it that way, then they can be the best years of your life

remember, anything bad in high school that you don't like will last no more than four years...i know people who have joined the military for 20 years, gone into a stressful family business for 20 years, or gone to work for a terrible company for 20 years and hated every minute of it

i was too busy complaining about the things i didn't like in high school, but i did find there is much more to complain about in post high school life...bills, rent, mortgage, loans, bill collectors, fixing appliances and living space, fixing car, car payments, crime, terrible boss, terrible employees, problems in marriage, kids, in laws, etc...there is certainly much more stress in real life after high school

hindsight is 20/20 and there is no way to know that the freedom from stress you have in k-12 can be a blessing and school problems and decisions you face now will not likely have lifelong effects like adult decisions like marriage, kids, buying a house, starting a restaurant, etc...and bad decisions you make in high school are a lot more likely to be reversed easily than a post high school real world decision

my chemistry and physics teacher in high school used to console us when we got bad grades by saying, "five years from now, will it make a difference?" ;)

he knew that maybe good grades on tests can give you a better grade in class and that a better grade in a class can affect your overall gpa and a slightly better overall gpa can get you into a slightly better college, and maybe college can get you a better job...but other decisions, like mentioned above like marriage, kids, mortgage, etc have a far more profound effect on one's life than bad grades or not getting suzy to say yes to the homecoming dance ;)