Do you tap?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Warbrain, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I've been pondering this and trying it out on my iBook for a while now and still can't get used to tapping the trackpad to click. It seems so odd. I try it, hate it, turn it off, and then go back and turn it on to try it again. As much as it makes sense to do it, it doesn't feel right.

So do any of you tap your pad?

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I had it on for a while but it becomes annoying to use. It just seems to get in the way. All of my friends try to tap it when they use my iBook but then they have to click. I wish the freaking trackpad mouse button wouldn't click so damn loud! It's annoying!

3. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i do... :eek:
    it works for me... i guess it takes sometime to get used to it but then again i use the track pad when edit photos in PS and using it final cut :eek:

5. Sogo macrumors 6502

Hmm...I'm somewhat of a mixed bag. Back when i used my dads windows laptop, i would tap the trackpad. But then when i got my powerbook, i naturally just used the click button. But then i ran into the second button issue, and then used sidetrack to set the top left corner of the trackpad as a right click. So i am use to just clicking, but its also not a pain for me to just tap the corner if i want my right click.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I tap. I hate the noise of the button. Plus I can surf in meetings without making a sound. ;)

7. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

On my Windows laptop and my younger brother's iBook I always tap. I, too, dislike the noise of the buttons. My brother always uses the button so he gets annoyed when I change the settings. :D

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'm a major tapper. I couldn't live without it - I hate using a trackpad that hasn't been set to tap. The other thing which I love is two-fingered scrolling. When ever I use someone else's laptop I get frustrated because it doesn't have it.

9. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I used to hate tapping but I've become pretty accustomed to it and I'd struggle to work without it now. :)

11. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

I too am a tapper, now I just need a MacBook on the receiving end. I don't find the tapping annoying, but sometimes my coworkers do..?

12. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Only a tapper when my roommate is sleeping. Anyother time it's the mouse, but it makes a psuedo-scroll wheel noise even though it doesn't have one.

13. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

in the 4 months i've owned my powerbook, i think i've used the button maybe a dozen times, and that was to setup everything, open system preferences, and enable tapping. :p

contrary to others in this thread, i find using the button unnatural and awkward.

14. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i dont on my PB, but whenever i use a windows laptop i just naturally revert to tapping!

i have tried it on my PB and its just wrong!

15. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I tap. And I love scrolling.

Even though I have a mouse connected, when I'm typing I find that I move the cursor with the trackpad and tap, and it is faster than having to switch my hands from the keyboard to the mouse. All in all, tapping is not a problem for me.

16. Synapple macrumors regular

iTap. My button is too squeaky so I prefer tapping.

17. Warbrain thread starter macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yea, I turn it on to tap when I'm in class and I don't want to interupt anyone. And when we're watching films in class.

It just doesn't seem right for me, but I know it makes sense to have it. Your fingers are already on the trackpad, why stop to click the button.

18. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I had never used the tap function before but after reading this thread I'm gonna try it out.

It also helps that I've somehow gotten a sand like substance below the button and the noise is so grating. ;)

19. ScottB macrumors regular

ScottB

Whenever using a laptop on a desk I use the button, but if I'm lying on a bed or other soft surface I'm usually using just one hand and it feels more comfortable tapping.

20. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I have tapping off, but I just turned it on to give it a try. On some trackpads it's good, on some it just stinks...always clicking when you don't want it to and stuff...I'll see how it is on here.

I do the same thing, I had my mighty mouse connected, but I never use it since it's easier to use the trackpad when I'm typing.

Oh, and I'm weird, like 75% of the time, I use the trackpad with my 2 thumbs. I use the right one to move around and left one to click...both of them to scroll...talk about not having to move your hands from the keyboard! :D

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Hmm...I've never really tried tapping before... and it still feels vaguely unnatural. But I'll leave it enabled and see how it goes. It does feel slightly slower for the trackpad to recognise the tap as opposed to clicking.

22. Lau Guest

I've never really tried it for very long, but I tend to keep my left hand hovering over the keyboard for shortcuts, and my right hand with my index finger scrolling and my thumb resting on the trackpad button anyway. So I've never found 'tap' that useful, because I don't have to move my hand to click anyway. :)

23. Warbrain thread starter macrumors 603

Warbrain

Funny thing is, I was just holding that same position while reading your post.

Yea, I don't really like tapping the touchpad for a click. I've accidently clicked way too many things, even with the computer ignoring accidental movements. So I'm sticking to clicking with the button. It's there for a reason, why not use it?

Oh, and for those quiet moments when I want to tap, how do I drag and drag lock? I've tried to do it so many times, but I can never manage to work it.

24. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I can't stand having tapping on. I always get clicks that I don't intend. Incredibly frustrating.