Do you tell your parents how much money you make?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Feb 13, 2007.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

For people who are earning wages or salary, do you tell your parents how much money you earn if they ask you about it? I am not sure of the norm on this. I bet this depends on culture to some degree. I am especially interested in hearing from people in USA, Japan, Singapore, China, and European Union countries.

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Yeah, if they asked me about it I would tell them. I'm going to make significantly more than my mother, and significantly less than my father, so I guess it's not really a sore point or anything. I live in California, btw.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I do and I have no issues doing so. I could care less if they know...hell I know what they pull down.

4. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Well my dad does my Tax so I guess he all ready knows. But my parent would be stoked if I earn more than them. Hell they are for my brother.

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Well, as an unemployeed student, they know how much I make. They know how much my sister makes at her summer job because my dad does her taxes and she got the job 2 years ago when she was 17.

If I was grown up and got a new job, they wouldn't ask me how much I made. I know very well that they don't like to share how much they make. I've asked them how much they make and they won't tell. Though looking at a pad of paper ontop of mount of income tax papers, forms, and folders I know how much they make.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, I'll tell my parents once I start working. I don't really want them to tell anyone else, but I think my mum would anyway. :rolleyes: "Prying" questions aren't a big deal in Hong Kong, so even if it's a question that you'd normally never ask another person, HKers might not have a problem asking you. And it's not rude in HK to ask prying questions, so people from outside HK shouldn't be insulted.

So......maybe I wouldn't want my mum to know, although I think I'd still tell her. :eek:

7. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

They know about the first ~$7500 I made last year. Not the other 2 grand I made on the side fixing computers for friends and co-workers.

That's honestly all I made. :(

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

USA here. Mine know an approximation of what my yearly salary is but that's really just because of financial questions they've answered for me.

9. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

My parents know of my earnings, and I share this to stave off any worry by them (they live 3,500 kms away) for my financial stability. :)

10. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

There were years I wanted to complain, and those where I wanted to brag. Now, it is really irrelevant. My MS and Immunex friends are all retired by age 40. My siblings all earn a very conformable living. Very little need to discuss matters of earning power among us. At most, we discuss investment strategies.

11. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

12. xtopher macrumors regular

xtopher

i dont tell them but a new computer, Xbox, TV and a car kinda tells them something.... i just tell them i won it all :p

13. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

California here. They know how much I make. No secrets in my family, it's always been that way though. Plus, I can't really hide the two Macs I just bought in the past 6 months. :D Well I guess I could, but then it would be a travesty to hide things that are oh so beautiful. :apple:

14. AndyR macrumors 6502a

AndyR

Yep no problems. I make more than both my folks combined but they own there own business so take a lot of it "out the business" :rolleyes: so no problems. Living the UK btw.

15. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Definitely - I have no problems with telling my parents what I earn, but that is me telling them rather than them asking me. I have never and would never ask what my dad earns - if he wants to tell me, he will.

16. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

17. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I don't have problems talking about money (here: salary), especially not with my parents. My wife isn't too happy about this, though...

18. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I imagine my folks have a vague idea – they knew what I started out on and I generally tell them in passing when I get a pay rise, so I suppose they can make an educated guess.

However, I don't know what they're on. Maybe I ought to ask them when we pop around this weekend... :p

19. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I don't see any reason at all why you wouldn't tell them, unless you just have a bad relationship with them.

20. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They know roughly. If they asked I'd tell them the exact number...

21. iGav macrumors G3

Half the time I have no idea how much I earn :p But yeah, it's no secret, I'm open with things like that with family, friends etc. I've always wondered why so many people are so reticent on discussing it myself.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nope... nor do they ask. All that matters to them is that I'm doing OK and I'm not asking them for a loan. :D

23. pengu macrumors 6502a

my folks know i earn quite a lot (compared to either what i used to, or what they do/did earn) but not exact amounts. im a contractor so its not fixed $K/year, but they know it hovers somewhere around (ie just above or just below) 6 figures..

24. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Yeah, I do (they had asked)... But no, I'm not telling any of you folks at MacRumors. :D

25. shecky Guest

shecky

my dad knows only because some of my income goes thru his self-owned business to lower my tax rate (well, not exactly that, but close enough for a public forum.)

some would call it "laundering"

i call it "working creatively within the rules of the IRS"