Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
mad jew said:
Considering laptops are going 20 inch, then a 23 inch iMac seems feasible. I can't see it happening anytime soon though. :(

I have heard rumors of a 20" from Samsung, and I know that Dell is coming out with a 19" XPS next year. So my guess is that the iMac will eventually grow to 23". But, I would say that we won't see this at least for another year or two. The 23" LCD is too expensive for a consumer-oriented desktop at this point.

Hickman

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
No, I dont think they'll make 23 inch.

Maybe just pump the res like they did in PBs

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I don't think we will see a 23" iMac because most people don't really have the need for a large screen just for checking email and web, but they might come out with one just because of the FrontRow software, it would make it easier to watch dvd's and view photos on a bigger screen...maybe when the Intel iMac's come out, we could see a 23".

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Never say never. :D

I really don't see why it's not possible that Apple will eventually release a 23 inch iMac. Of course, I don't think it'll happen soon, but I still think it'll happen. :)

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
mad jew said:
Never say never. :D

I really don't see why it's not possible that Apple will eventually release a 23 inch iMac. Of course, I don't think it'll happen soon, but I still think it'll happen. :)

I agree with mad jew. Eventually Apply will release a 23" iMac. Just the way technology evolves now day. Displays, Monitors and TV's are getting larger and larger.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
why would anyone want a 20" laptop? i think 17" is too big, but i can see how some people would like it. 20" must be far too big though surely

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i think they will. in the moment a 23" seems too big but people said the same when the 20" imac was released.

i was waiting for a 23" high end imac for a while. but then i caved in and bought a 24" dell screen. so it's a powermac for me soon.

but business wise a 23" imac certainly would make sense. there is a number of people out there willing to pay up the $3000 for a mac. and the current imac features built into a 23" screen would be technically easy and certainly less than $3000.

the applications would be numerous. just imagine hd in 1920x1080. would be a great machine. steve, do you hear me?!

macam

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2005
Greater London, UK
I really can't see them doing a 23" iMac. But saying that I was kinda shocked when they released the 20" and that now seems completely normal to me know. I would anticipate that maybe Apple are already thinking about this and it could be in development for when they release the intel versions of the iMac. They used to have a 3 options for the iMac didn't they?! So they might release three options: 17", 20" & 23".

macam

asphalt-proof

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2003
Magrathea
Actually I think larger screen iMacs are where they will take the product line. Its appears that they are aiming to make the iMac a digital media center with Front Row, selling videos. I think it makes sense. And as the mad Jew states: never say never. It was taken as gospel around here that they would NEVER make a 20" FP iMac. And it was taken as gospel that they would never make an iPod video. And the biggest heresy: It was taken as GOSPEL that Apple would NEVER EVER in a Million Hillion Jillion YEARS switch to Intel. I guess the gospels just aren't true. :p

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I'd say definitely, but no time soon. The iMac originally came with a 15" CRT. Now it's 17" or 20" LCD. Along the way I was shocked by the 17" CRT in the eMac and the 20" lampshade iMac.

And I'd say Apple will introduce the 23" iMac while it still has some wow factor to it. I don't think they'll stick with 17"/20" while the base monitor standard moves to at least, say, 19".

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
i sure do hope they do, it would be very good for college kids if they incorporated a tv tuner into it, it would replace a kids tv, a tivo, a computer, and save so much space in the dormroom.

glennsan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Midwest USA
23 in iMac ????

virus1 said:
it would be awesome, but i doubt it

As was mentioned earlier the original iMac went from 15 to 17 to 20 inches in size slowly but surely. I myself would consider one for a second computer that was also my tv in the bedroom. I have a 27 in tv now and think it would work fine especially for dvd viewing.

Glennsan

PharmD

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2005
Oregon Coast
Its definately not out of the question for an iMac, but man, a 20" or 23" notebook. How is that portable? 90% of the time it won't leave the desk so why not just get a desktop?

I guess it will work for the "I like the look of a laptop over a desktop" crowd.

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
I have recently bought a Rev B iMac 20".

I will replace my machine, when the following iMac is released:

24" viewing area minimum
1/2 inch thick
Nothing below the screen (i.e. the bit with the logo won't be there)
Wall mountable
Built-in TV tuners (watch & record different channels at the same time)
Full media centre capabilities
Bluetooth remote ;)
Intel (obviously)

I think that will take at least 4 years, which gives my current machine a good lifespan.

5 years ago I would never have believed that there would be a machine as beautiful as the iMac G5. And today most people don't believe that there will be an even more jawdropping machine in 5 years time. But there will be.

23" minimum.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
The iMac is really meant for the average computer user. I don't think they would need 23 inches of space. It'd be nice to have, but it would also be large... then again it would be sweet to run Front Row on.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
*sits happily with 17" display. Sighs at the amount of eyesight damage bigger displays can cause :p*
I do think it's utter BS that screens keep growing, I mean when will they stop?:confused:

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I think that a 23" is bound to happen and when it does it will lower the prices of all apple's monitors. However, I would prefer to see apple allow, without the need for consumer tinkering, dual screen support and not just mirroring before we went with a 23".

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
A 23" monitor is going to happen and it will be a good thing. Watching a DVD on the 20" monitor is ok, but kind of small. Apple is moving the iMac to be a multimedia station for movies, music videos, and pictures. And all of those things would work better with a bigger screen. I think the price point will be around $2000 when they do it, which isn't that high. The 20" iMac sat that the price range for awhile. I don't think it's that far off considering the 20" is around $1700. I think the 23" will come right after the intel processor change, which could be 1+ years.

lasuther

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.