Do You Think Apple will replace Aqua at MWSF 07 ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Macmadant, Dec 27, 2006.

Do You Think Apple will replace Aqua at MWSF 07 ?

1. Yes

2. No

1. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    Just found this, and it states that aqua will be replaced with a black cherry interface at MWSF 07, i don't think this will happen, but what about you ?
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    If this Black Cherry theme is added, it will be as another option. Aqua will still be available and probably still set as the default.
  3. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2005
    Interesting list. A new UI would be nice. I like the new iTunes interface.

Bild 1.jpg
  4. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jun 4, 2005
    I happen to dislike the iTunes interface, it looks so boring and unexciting, i love a bit of colour which the nice little blue scroll bars provide, i just can't get enough of those scroll bars, there yummy, but apple removed them from itunes 7, as i was saying it lacks colour
  5. MacVault macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2002
    Planet Earth
    I sure hope Apple replaces Aqua in Leopard, and hope they overhaul the finder! I don't want to wait another ~2 years for a real/improved UI and finder.
  6. J Radical macrumors regular

J Radical

Nov 20, 2006
    I don't understand why people complain about the aqua interface, I can't really see any inconsistencies in it's implementation... And I also don't get what all the itunes 7 fuss is about. All I see is plain gray instead of brushed metal, a snazzy album artwork viewer (which i don't use) and gray scroll bars. Pretty minor differences imo.

I have nothing against new eye candy, as long as OS X is the prettiest OS I'm happy. Does anyone have any photoshops of what the new UI might look like?
  7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    the reason people complain is because Apple has these UI guidelines that other developers are supposed to follow, but Apple breaks them themselves all the time. if you look at Safari, iTunes, and Mail they each have a different look. there is no consistancy. i could deal and expect many people wouldn't care if all the Brushed metal was changed to the Unified Grey to narrow it down to two choices. but what kind of app gets what? right now the UI is a mix of many different flavors and Apple needs to solidify it into one cohesive look.

i don't expect Aqua to go away at all, but i would hope for some better standards across the UI instead of things getting mixed up more.
  8. ic1male macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2006
    I reckon Aqua will go because they won't get it working nicely with resolution independent UI.
  9. Chone macrumors 65816

Aug 11, 2006
    Apple should do something like UNO (which if you are not familiar with it does exactly what you say, narrows the UI to two choices), I mean sure you can just go and use UNO but if its not built in the OS it doesn't really count.
  10. islandman macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2006
    I like the Aqua interface, and I don't mind that iTunes and some other apps are inconsistent. If anything, they might simply be a preview of what's coming.
  11. crees! macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003
    If all apps had the same look and feel then how could you easily distinguish them from one another? There needs to be some other method. For example, pro apps all have a similar look. iLife apps are somewhat similar to each other, etc...
  12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I don't think so. I think ultimately it will continue to evolve with old stylistic elements being deprecated, as has already happened. And Apple will probably see pressure to compete on looks with Vista (doubtless from the same 50 year old C|Net staffers who think that blue neon lights "look cool" and "attract a younger set" :rolleyes: ). The new coreservices in Leopard will no doubt be a part of this.

And I do see a black style guide being unveiled to developers at some point in the future so that they can use BlackOSX™ in a way that's consistent with what iLife and Leopard do.

But I don't see Aqua being replaced en masse.
  13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    exactly. and i have used it. very nicely done.

well since Apple uses floating windows and has Expose i'd imagine that it would be easy to tell.

Pro apps get their own look across the board. simple.
    iLife apps should get their own look across the board. (they don't right now)
    and the core OS apps should get a different look to the iLife apps
  14. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I suspect the "new UI" (Finder) will look just like the current iTunes UI.
    Soo.. nothing really new.
  15. Quboid macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2006
    I like aqua, I don't want anything new. Aqua is beautiful and cute and it would really SUCK if they were to mess that up.
  16. elppa macrumors 68040

Nov 26, 2003
    All I'll predict is they will have something very nice up their sleeves.

Something that makes you go *wow*.

And it won't be like anything we are expecting.
  17. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I think most people's complaint (at least the one I've seen consistantly from day one) is that brushd metal is ugly, and there's no built-in facility for changing the look of the UI without running a haxie and risking b0rkd0m.

Personally I don't really care what the window edges look like. I care more about the content of said windows. :) I WOULD like, however, a change to the default icons. They're ugly and old and fugly and fold. Time for a change that doesn't involve Candy Bar.
  18. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    this kind of discussion would be much better with a PIC, :D
    I would say, however, the iTunes7 stuff is more close to windows, and I don;t like it.
  19. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I'd like to see Apple move to a true X11-based windowing system. Ain't gonna happen though.

But I'd love to have the option of using Enlightenment instead of Aqua (for all my windows, not just the X11 ones). :D
  20. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    oh my, enlightenment is so exciting. and surprisingly light weight. but... lol, almost feel too splendid.
  21. NaMo4184 macrumors member

Mar 1, 2005
    Yeah your thoughts are in line with my way of thinking about this too. I can understand back in the day when computer power was lower that all windows had the same theme. Now that we have all this power I think its nice to have some individualization going on. But the individualization needs to server a purpose. The best example os this is garageband. It looks different but in a good way, yet it is still consistent in its underlying style with the rest of the iapps

Also, I think that consistency comes in when it comes to behaviors and the underlying theme. The underlying feel of all the apps are consistent.
  22. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

Mar 2, 2005
    All gray is so Windows.

I use UNO and got rid of the brushed metal, so for me it's all gray, but I still don't like it. There's many other options Apple can have. I'm sure they have many new gui options up their sleeve.

23. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    I don't mind Aqua but I also wouldn't mind something new. As long as it doesn't look Windows-y I'll be fine.

Something dramatic would be fun, though. Adding a Time Machine type z-axis would be exciting if Apple could figure out how to make it work.

24. tominated macrumors 68000

Jul 7, 2006
    Queensland, Australia
    i don't think they'll replace it, but they will add the new ui as an option. I would really like to see something new from apple. aqua is so 2001. anyway, i like the smooth metal look of apps like itunes 7