do you think dogs...

Discussion in 'Community' started by dorqiekat, Nov 13, 2004.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Do you think that dogs can communicate with each other as we do? My dog and my next door neighbor's dog love each other. When they were puppies, the would dig under the fence and go to each other's yards and play. When they got big, they couldn't cross over anymore.

What I noticed now was they would stick their head under the fence and make weird noises that I haven't really heard dogs make. And Cocoa (my dog) would make this weird moaning noise and Rosie (neighbor dog) would make the same noise. It's nothing I've heard before... it was strange, but so cute! I have a picture if you guys want to see! :D

2. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

All animals can communicate with eachother. But none of them can communicate in such complicated ways as we do. In my opinion, dogs dont communicate vocally, exept for basic things like barking (im angry) or whining (im sad/hurt). I think its much more likley that they communicate by sight, such as tail position, as well as smell.

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Sure, they talk about how cool a mac is, how they get forgotten because of a mac and nobody listen to them because of the iPod... :rolleyes:

Take care, they are planning to pee on your keyboard. :p

4. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL. They were extremely cute though! It was more than just barking and whining... I felt like knocking down the fence so they could play. :p

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I have an Australian Shepherd that talks a lot. He makes a larger variety of sounds than any dog I've ever heard. He seems totally frustrated that he can't just come right out and say what he wants to tell you.

6. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have you ever seen those dogs on the animal planet or some other that howl out human words? Does he sound like that?

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Well, I haven't actually watched Animal Planet, so I can't say I've heard those dogs. I don't recall thinking his many sounds ever approximated human words, at least not English. Maybe some Asian dialect, but how would I know? He's a great dog, though.

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My dog (German Shepherd-Chow Mix) is very vocal. He definitely talks to other dogs and I can usually guess what he means... think he means, really. :)

Right now he wants his own Macintosh.... :cool:

9. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Damn... I had a clip of talking dogs, but the url doesn't work anymore. But I do have... dead puppies

Sorry, if this has been posted before... thought it was funny. :p

edit: I don't get it... I tried to attach a picture but they're too large. (But not really, I even cropped it so it wouldn't be) Why is the file so big when the picture isn't? I see people attaching wallpapers and it works.. it's in jpeg format. :(

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I've seen that before. It is kind of comical not really funny. The guy's that automatically said Yes, for $200 and $5 really scare me. The pet shop brought back memories of puppy mills so it gave a very sad feeling. It was very noticeable that they didn't look all that healthy. Happily when confronted they were unable to follow through. Easier to just joke about the situation.

Yes, I would like to see your pictures. Do you have them in iPhoto?

We have three dogs and I think that they communicate. They seem to get in the same mischief at the same time. Like to lie next to each other.

11. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yay I did it!

I sized the pictures! Whoot! Trés bien Kat, trés bien Kat. lol :p
    I've been trying for a very long time... can you tell?

Attached Files:

12. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

That's a great shot. Can't you arrange for them to get together, in one yard or another, routinely? I've had dogs all my life. The last 10 years was the first time I had two (half brother and sister, 4 weeks apart in age), and I'll never have a single dog again. They play as children do. They are, after all, pack animals, so raising them alone isn't the best. Did you ever see a lone horse? Very sad. Of course, I have the luxury of space here; I know that isn't possible for everyone.

13. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wish I could, but out neighbor isn't one of the best we've had. When we first got our dog, as a normal puppy, she was a bit hyper and loud. He'd always complain that she was being too loud. And then they got their dog, and after a month, they lost interest in her, abandoned her into the back yard and never paid much attention to her. She's craved for attention and whenever we go out into our yard, she goes nuts for affection. They wouldn't want her to mingle with our dog though. Always got a little upset when they dogs would dig under the fence. Rosie (neighbor dog) would always cross over to MY yard. I feel so bad for her.

Here's a better pic of her.. though she never stays still for more than a nano sec. (though this isn't the photo gallery, I'd love to see pictures of everyone's dogs...)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      59.1 KB
      Views:
  14. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Has this happened?

I have a dog and a cat. And I know that cats bathe themselves by licking their hand and running it over their head. Do dogs to this? Or did my dog learn it from my cat? Cocoa does this regularly... grooming herself.

15. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

here's my pooch... she's wise beyond her years

Attached Files:

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Very nice looking dog pictures, thank you for sharing.

When my wife leaves for work our male begins to howl. Then our two females join. They stop when he does.

17. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

AWWW thats the cutest thing I've heard! Did they whine when they were puppies? :)

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have 2 dogs as well, sisters, and I think it's quite mean to not have more than one dog. They're dogs. They need to communicate with another dog regularly. Otherwise, they sort of grow up retarded. Not learning dog-like behaviour from other dogs isn't natural, and having 2 dogs makes my dogs seem normal, as they're not just living in a human world. They talk. They have each other. They really care for about the other.

They sleep in different rooms, though. I like how one of them is individualistic and more independent, while the other is a big suck-up. :)

19. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

My dog talks to the rabbit in her hutch, but gets very annoyed cos the rabbit can't understand him, so he goes and digs holes in my garden!

He does a lot of yowling when there are certain people at the door, particularly people he wants to lick, but just barks at strangers.

He also has this real low growl when he's getting brushed, it's a sort of happy growl, not a "I'm going to eat you" growl.

Here's a pic off the phone...

Attached Files:

20. aus_dave macrumors regular

You learn something new every day - I have never even heard of this breed before. They certainly aren't common over here.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

(envisions dogs posting to each other in an internet forum) :D

That to me is the most amusing thing about pets. Sometimes even when I know exactly what they want (like to go outside), I'll hesitate just a second, because I enjoy that look they give me: "What, are you stupid or something??"

22. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I have an 11 year old dalmation, she is the opposite of all the warnings you hear about them. We got her as a runaway before the frenzy from the movie.

She is sweet and communicates in multiple ways, the neatest, she smiles!

When anyone comes home after being gone for awhile (I travel alot-chicago today) her whole body wags and a big teethy snarly grin and snorts follow. It is such a validation of her as part of the family.

I have 3 very young girls, if any are in the yard and crying-she starts crying, it is better than a baby monitor, she is 100% accurate. If my 8 yr old is riding her bike and gets hurt, "Dottie" will start whining, I can go out and find a bruised crying lil girl.

It is almost an insult to call our dog a dog. My girls include her in their prayer every night. "God bless mommy, and daddy, and.........dottie."

23. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

My Greyhound used to to that! It scared the hell out of my friends though, my dog weighted around 50Kg :)

24. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, you know, on the internet, no one knows you're a dog. ;)

And yes, of course animals communicate with each other (and with us). We've had our cat since he was a kitten (he's almost ten years old now) and he knows how to tell us, in no uncertain terms, what he wants.

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you fro your comment, he appreciates it greatly. Our females were quiet until he arrived, just barked when it was indicated. Our male, Cosmos started his wine as a puppy. The girls just don't like to be left out, Lucy and Rachel.