Do you think Great Britain and the U.S....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Aug 18, 2006.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Manufactured the plot to blow up the planes heading to the U.S. with liquids?

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Yea they talked over the idea on the grassy knoll :rolleyes:

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no. but i think the administrations, led by the US, greatly exaggerated what it actually was, manufactured the crisis, then timed it for the midterms.

or at least timed it to test the reaction of Fearistan leading to the midterms.

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I'm kind of with you on this one. I think is was certainly seen as an opportunity.

5. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

Agreed. Not unlike the minimum wage/estate tax bill. Steal the Dems thunder on min. wage while ensuring that they'll all have to vote against it because of the "death tax" provision. Typical Republican skullduggery.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And it's beginning to not work. People are wising up to it.

7. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

No. I definitely think there was a plot, but I doubt it is on the scale that the British and American governments are trying to make us believe it is. Certainly in this country, I think blanket arrests have been used as a tool to spread the fear that this was a very large-scale plot - bigger than it really was. Furthermore, day-by-day it appears that the intelligence from Pakistan that suggested some of its citizens were co-ordinating the plot is being discredited (no suprise really, Pakistan will manufacture almost anything for wealth and prestige amongst the West). Either that or it was a better safe than sorry method of policing.

I apologise if I appear skeptical, as I'm really not from the looney camp that believes the government is constantly out to con us. But I am from the camp that believes it will capitalise on any fear, doubt or threat to further its own agenda - in this case, I can forsee the ID Card agenda being pushed (which, as has been proven again and again, doesn't make a difference anyway).

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The timing of it, with the midterms and falling GOP approval ratings, seems way too convienent. I wouldn't say the entire thing was fabricated, but it was definitely overexaggerated.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I believe a genuinely catastrophic event was prevented from taking place.

Unfortunately when pre-emptive action is taken there will always be doubt, but I'm not reaching for the conspiracy theories yet.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you may want to check out this.

11. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Personally I think there was a bomb plot, whether it was going to work or not is another question. The governments involved certainly put on a show of clout when rounding up 'suspects' .... though politically they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. Of course this kind of 'world' event is great for taking people's attention from other issues.

I suspect this sort of thing will continue for years to come...

Interestingly, on a recent trip back to the UK, my wife mentioned just how many cameras there are in the UK. Speed cameras, police/security cameras.. (lots of local police stations are closed at night and weekends - replaced with cameras dotted around towns remotely monitored). It's common to be walking down the high street, after a night out, looking up to see a 'red eye' following your every move.

It's probably one of the most 'watched' countries in the world.

12. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

and yet in the number of assaults per capita the UK is only just behind the US, and in the number of crimes per capita the UK is actually ahead of the US.

though the US still has so many more murders per capita...

13. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Or this.

Let's lay out the facts.
    1. An attack was not imminent.
    2. Authorities in England did not want to make an arrest, but were pressured to do so by the US.
    3. There has yet to be any significant evidence brought against the suspects.

This doesn't sound like a threat to me.

But it does seem like a pretty good idea -- to have you sit on a plane this fall, look at that person across from you with a bottle of water ... not drinking it. Maybe make you a little afraid.

Mix in some "Democrats won't make us safer" and you've got quite a cocktail ...

14. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Too many people on a small island... like rats in a barrel

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I didn't think so at first, but the longer this goes without some evidence being produced -- at least enough to bring charges -- the more I become skeptical. Particularly when I hear that the Bush administration was pressuring the Brits to speed up the pace of the investigation.

The Bush administration has bungled terror investigation time and again. They've also shown themselves willing to use terror threat levels as political tools. It wouldn't surprise me to see it happen again. And that's a sad state of affairs.

16. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I remember Rich Hall was talking about a trip he made to England. Somebody told him to avoid a certain neighborhood...

Briton: "Don't go 'round there...they'll pull a knife on you."
    Rich Hall: "Pfft...a knife!? How quaint..."

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Maybe I'm nuts, but it seems to me that the US is only happy when there's some "enemy" to fight. First it was the British, then the British again, later on the Mexicans, then ourselves, then the Germans, then the Germans again with the Japanese, then the USSR and the rest of the Communists, now terrorists (there's probably some more that I left out).

An open statement to everyone on the planet who didn't learn in grammar school that fighting rarely solves anything: Not everyone thinks the way you do, agrees with you, or believes in the same exact things you do. Get over it.

18. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed--and hence clamorous to be led to safety--by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."

H.L. Mencken

see this link for more
    http://www.mises.org/story/1018

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Amen to that. The correlary to your excellent statement is that you don't have a right to not be offended.

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Strangely enough I agree. Something seems rather fishy about the liquid-bomb-plot.

21. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

you left out Native Americans, African Americans, Jews, Catholics, & Elvis.

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

I don't think they manufactured the plot itself (if for no other reason than they're not that creative), but as others have said, I do believe that the extent to which the plot was really a danger was exaggerated significantly.

Of course, if everyone knew of this plot for so long before making the arrests, why such the panicked response at the airports on that day? Why weren't security rules adjusted with more notice based on any facts that might have been available? Because, in my mind, by having it go as it did, it was more likely to instill a belief that we acted immediately in response to a real threat, vs. like the keystone cops in response to some imagined or distant potential threat.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

you left out Native Americans, African Americans, Jews, Catholics, & Elvis.

^Don't forget 2pac

Bless

24. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I think there was a seed of truth that the US and Brits cultivated into an oak tree. But regardless of whether or not anything was about to happen, the whole situation is ridiculous. Bush and his boys seem to be using every excuse they can irrationally justify to turn the West into a police state. It's not there yet, but it's coming and will continue to come until somebody stands up and does something about it. :mad:

If this goes much further, I'm heading for Iceland. By boat.

25. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I saw an article yesterday stating that liquid explosives work best in the movies. Or a politicians machinations. :rolleyes: