Do you think Intel Mac will be updated more frequently than Power PC Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by YS2003, May 3, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Now that Intel transition is chugging along at Apple, I am thinking Macs with intel chips may be updated more frequently than Power PC based Macs of the yore. Do you think Apple will shorten the product update cycle because of the faster chip update by Intel? Intel's road map for the upcoming chips is very aggressive compared to snail-mail pace of Power PC chip development.

2. zorg macrumors regular

I think they might be updated as much as PCs. Which is to say...not often.

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Only if we can update them ourselves - ie: swap out the socketed processor :D

4. direzz macrumors 6502

i think its fundamental. apple will try to continue their old ways but will realize they need to keep up with dell, etc.

i mean, look at how much choice dell offers in its consumer and pro laptop line. 15+ different models!

5. D34th macrumors regular

My thoughts exactly. That would be fully sufficient for me, what else would you need to upgrade, besides RAM, and thats easy?

6. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Perhaps we will see more frequent 'quiet' upgrades, with now glorious notification. ie. increase processor from 2ghz to 2.16ghz.

Just an idea.

7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Yeah, probably just what Shamus said - although probably not frequently.

Never know, really.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The answer is no but when they do upgrade there will be bigger jumps then the very slight bumps we have had over the years with PPC. Thats my take.

9. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

That makes sense. Minor upgrades reasonably regularly (or at least price drops) as new processors become quicker and old ones become cheaper.

10. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Apple has a history of doing several silent revisions to it's products before officially releasing the next version of the product with upgraded features. These revisions usually include things like fixing problems on the motherboard or replacing problematic components. The Mac Mini recently even had a silent unannounced upgrade to the processor speed even though it wasn't guaranteed which speed processor you'd get, the slower one which you paid for and is printed on the box or the faster chip they were unofficially introducing. I think this type of unofficial incremental processor speed bump is likely to happen again in the future as slightly faster chips are periodically released by Intel.

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No, probably not. :eek:

Although, the point made by Shamus may very well become the case. :)

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Define your terms. If by update you mean clock increase, then you answer is obvious. The answer is "yes." Apple is now buying processors from Intel's catalog. Intel is not going to keep slow processors in its inventory just for Apple. For Apple's part, you are never going to hear this conversation:

Intel: We've got some new 4.1 GHz Conroes hot off the foundries.

Apple: Let Dell have them. We're sticking with the 3.9's, thank you.

13. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

is this a poll? no? anyway, i would vote "no".

if i remember correctly. we macusers, some call us fanboys, we frown at mere speed bumps. we always push apple to bring out computers with speed bumps and other goodies that comes with the computer, not to mention it is better for SJ's ego.

14. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

agreed.

Consider the introduction of the Intel iMac: it was released within one week of the Core Duo rollout. And for obvious reasons: everyone else was putting them in their computers. Apple had to, as well.

I suspect the consumer desktops and pro portables will get Merom as soon as it's released. In the meantime, they'll get speed bumped "quietly".

15. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

With today's update on MBP (and price reduction), it seems we can expect rather frequent (comparing to Power PC era) and incremental upgrades or updates for upcoming Intel Macs. I think this is good to be a Mac customer (unless you bought a model which is updated a few days later).