Do you think Native Instruments/Ableton etc will be retina optimized?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mjn298, Aug 3, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2011
    Palisades, Washington, DC
    I don't know. I am in the market for a new laptop and I want to get the retina but I don't think it's wise right now. ProTools doesn't support SSDs, and I've heard that the NI stuff looks like garbage on the retina display. Sucks, because it's a pretty sweet machine.

I'm just doubting that they'll optimize it for such a pixel density until that density is common on 27"+ displays because I don't think the people who shell out the cash (and have the disk space) for these huge libraries are doing their work on a 15" screen, no matter what the resolution.

Thoughts? I don't particularly want to wait, and I don't do any graphics-oriented stuff. This is mainly for live performance with software synths/instruments and guitar rig 5.
  2. macrumors member

May 6, 2012
    Hi there!

If you don't do any graphics-oriented stuff then you should think over it! I mean besides software problems which might come up like you supposed, it even costs more money. I would even think about a 13" MacBook if you don't use it for graphics....
    What do you think? Have you asked Ableton about Retina comparability?

3. macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California

I would not use a "retna" for live performance. They are a little slower. Moving all those pixels slows the things down. The best MBP is the 15" with the i7 quad core. The 13" models have only two cores.

Get a disk big enough for all the samples and as much RAM is will fit. (16GB from OWC)
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 25, 2011
    Palisades, Washington, DC
    Good advice, Chris, thanks! I actually went with the base 15 inch classic MBP as I wasn't ready to give up on this chassis just yet.

Will upgrade HDD and memory this week or next.