Do you think Nintendo will become the Mac of the gaming world?

Discussion in 'Games' started by trojan18, Mar 14, 2005.

1. trojan18 macrumors member

It seems that Nintendo is starting to take a very different approach to video games.

With both DS, and the upcoming Revolution, they have made it clear that they are not afraid to think outside of the box.

President Iwata even came out and said that he's not sure if third party developers will be on board with Revolution because it is so different. (read this at IGN)...and that Nintendo is prepared to go it alone if it has to...because it really believes it needs to keep innovating. (a common Jobs mantra)

I'm starting to envision a scenario where PS3 and Xenon take up the majority of the market share in the industry, and Nintendo is seen as the revolutionary innovator...but not as much market share.

Nitnendo already has the most loyal fan base of diehards of the three companies...I've often compared Nintendo fans undying love for the company to Apple fans' undying love for Jobs and Co.

Most people who own Macs feel that they have a superior machine than their PC friends, even if Wintel does dominate when it comes to market share.

I can definitely see this same philosophy taking hold with Nintendo fans in the next generation...they may not have much market share, but the innovation will give them a reason to feel like they are using the "best" machine on the market, unlike the Xbox and PS3 "sheep"

Thoughts?

2. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I think nintendo are already starting to look like the Mac of the gaming world. they've always been innovative, but what may let them down is lack of developers making games for their platform. Sony will probably be the market leader for a long time, not sure what will happen with Xbox, but its almost a PC anyway :)

I actually really like nintendo hardware. My first console was a snes and it was awesome. The GBA SP was another superb product (backlight screen, rechargable etc). The Gamecube is probably the most fun multiplayer console ever - mario party, bomberman, etc. And Donkey Konga looks awesome! I see a lot of similaritys between the Gamecube and the Mac Mini - probably due to the economy of space.

I firmly believe that the DS is more revolutionary than the PSP due to the idea of using a stylus and wireless built in. I'm not really sure about the 2 screens, but i havent played on one yet. and i love how its backwards compatible..

as you may have noticed i got a soft spot for nintendo :)

3. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I look at the Mac being superior to Windows machines in almost everyway. Quality and software is much better, in my opinion. I do not feel the same for the Gamecube that I own. The Gamecube does not seem superior to the XBox or PS2. Nintendo does have some revolutionary ideas, but they don't necessarily seem better than what is out there right now. To me Nintendo is just different, not necessarily better.

lasuther

4. woxel1 macrumors member

I'll drink to Nintendo being the Apple of the console world if it means they won't drop out of it. I don't see them going third party - they're too proud for that.

If anything, I see a major split between PS3 and Xenon (?) users, and Nintendo being the "auxiliary" system. Which is not to say they will be third place this generation. If users buy an Xbox and a Revolution, or a PS3 and a Revolution, because the Revolution is different from the "other" system or from just from general system-wars animosity, that will move a lot of units.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

People think that buy Apple of the Gaming World they mean tiny market share.

But they're comparing Apple to MICROSOFT.

Microsoft isn't their competitors. Apple is a hardware company. Apple is the third biggest hardware company. Therefore, Nintendo could easily become the Apple of the gaming world just by getting third place.

Anyway, people seem to think Nintendo is dying out. It's not.
    GameCube outsold XBox by HUGE numbers in Japan. In the overall profits, Nintendo and Sony almost tied, while MS had negative numbers.

Nintendo is doing fine.

And BTW...
    Actually, it is. The XBox and GameCube's graphics cards are almost the exact same in power, except the XBox has hardware support for some type of glows that the GC doesn't. And the GameCube's graphics are considerably more powerful than PS2. By a ton.
    XBox is barely more powerful than GameCube, but the GC rips the PS2 to shreds.
    See RE4. The PS2 isn't capable of getting near that type of detail.

Further, people don't perfer Macs because of better processors. People perfer Macs because of the SOFTWARE (OS X), and nicely designed hardware.

The GameCube is probably the best designed hardware (seen the crash tests? Only GC still worked after being hit with a sledgehammer, crushed with a weight and thrown off a two story building onto concrete), and the Nintendo lovers love it for the software.

Personally I perfer the GameCube. I just don't like XBox games. Sports games bore me. Racing games bore me. Shooting games once in a while, but there are just so many it gets old.

XBox games are almost all spots racing and FPS.

Nothing there compares to Mario, Zelda: The Wind Waker, Starfox (okay, the new game was too short, admittedly), Metroid Prime 1 and 2, the new Zelda game, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Rogue Squadron 1 and 2, etc.

PS2 also has some pretty good games, although I perfer the Nintendo games by a bit.

Also, you guys are right. The #1 problem with Nintendo is lack of third party support.
    Guess what? Nintendo got up and ADMITTED THAT. They also made a big deal that they want to get them back. They're starting with the DS (guess what DS stands for? No, it's not Dual Screen like most people think- at E3 last year they said it means Developer's System, because it's easy to develop for), and intend to continue with the Revolution.

Hopefully they can regain the third party support. Nintendo is the one innovative company.

Microsoft? Create a console out of standard PC parts, and charge for internet access. Then for the next generation console just put better parts in the console. Suck at making games? Go buy anyone who makes a better one than you.

Sony? Make good games, start a big hyping campaign and don't deliver. Then do the same thing for next generation, and concentrate on better graphics.

In my opinion of the consoles and companies, Nintendo>Sony>Microsoft.

6. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

I think Apple is better than other computer companies as far as products. But the XBOX is the best gaming console. IMO. The gamecube needs more games like RE4.

7. mstecker macrumors 6502

Aren't those all games for 8 to 10 year olds?

Matthew

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Are you joking?

Super Mario 64 is considered one of the best platformers of all time. While SMS is more childish it still retains the gameplay.

Zelda: TWW has cartoon graphics but the gameplay, animation, and effects are incredible. No 10 year old could beat it, either. The screenshots don't do it justice, you have to watch the videos and see it in animation to realize just how incredibly good it looks.
    http://cube.ign.com/articles/390/390314p1.html

9.6/10

Metroid Prime, childish? ROFL!
    http://cube.ign.com/articles/376/376866p1.html
    9.8/10

http://cube.ign.com/articles/376/376769p1.html

"The number one reason to own a GameCube"

The graphics are astounding.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
    http://cube.ign.com/articles/565/565908p1.html
    9.6/10

Both 1 and 2 are editors choice.

Super Smash Bros. Melee is considered one of the best 4 player fighting games there is.

Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 are Star Wars games.

All highly rated, extremely good games.

9. mstecker macrumors 6502

No, I'm not really joking. It seems that while some of those Nintendo titles can catch an older demographic, you can't argue that Xbox is going after a much more sophisticated and more mature gamer than Gamecube. Compare to the list you cite: Splinter Cell, Halo, Unreal Championship, etc.

Matthew

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I perfer the list I cited.

Metroid Prime is about equivilant to Halo.

I perfer RPG's over shooters. Zelda is more fun to play than Splinter Cell, and I suspect longer, as well (have you any idea how long that game is??). Unreal Championship, again, another shooter. I'd enjoy the other games over that.

There are simply too many shooters, and it begins to feel repetitive. Nintendo games are a breath of fresh air, being extremely fun, yet completely unique.

XBox games..."Oooh, our game looks so dark and mature, who cares about unique gameplay, buy ours!"

Nintendo makes games that are as fun if not more, but does it just right so that it can be played by all ages.

XBox throws in the blood and gore just to appear mature. And I can't stand that.

Anyway, check out the new Zelda game. Goodbye cartoon graphics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Surely you're not gonna tell me thats a kiddie game?

And Metroid Prime.
    Hey look! It's a kiddie game!
    [​IMG]

11. mstecker macrumors 6502

I can't - especially since I often play games like Doom III with my 3 and 4 year old in my lap.

"Daddy! Can we play the monster game again?"

12. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Lol!

It's sort of sad. Nintendo is losing buisness in the America. Mostly since people seem to think it's all kiddie games...since when is RE4 a kiddie game? I've missed something. Another problem is no online play.People like online play... I really don't play the cube that much becuase it's dropped third party support. I still need the Gamecube of course because I would be sad without my Animal Crossing. But it's one thing to think outside the box with new ideas, it's another to be stupid and drop 3rd party support, thus losing business in the US. It won't do very good in the US dropping 3rd party support.

13. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

All this "kiddie game" crap, I swear...

I don't know about you guys, but Super Mario Sunshine, Animal Crossing, and The Wind Waker are about ten times better than most "mature" games on the market.

BMX XXX or Wind Waker...hmm.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Luckily the Revolution has built in WiFi and out of the box online support. Yeah, Nintendo was stubborn about Internet :s

Animal Crossing DS, online :D

They haven't completely dropped 3rd party, they just made some mistakes that made some 3rd parties drop support of them. They're emphasizing 3rd party for the Revolution and Nintendo DS (Developers System, not Dual Screen).

15. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

People like Online Play? PC Gamers maybe. Unless I'm mistaken only about 5% of the people that have an XBox actually play online.

Also, I can totally see the Revolution being a router/repeater for the DS. Either ther Revolution will have an Ethernet Port on it, and can connect to the internet using this, or the Revolution will simply connect to an existing wi-fi router. Either way, your DS could connect to the internet through the Revolution rather than the router, which definitely helps if your router is farther away than the Rev. itself.

I can see my future iBook using the Revolution as an Airport Extreme. :p

16. applekid macrumors 68020

Not at GDC this year. Nintendo doubts they can get back third party support and have no interest in doing more to get them back now as far as Revolution is concerned.

----

Sure, the X-Box is aiming towards an "older" (I'm definitely not going to say they're mature nor sophisticated), but why can't a company reach out to a broader audience? That is what Nintendo is accomplishing. Sure, I understand people have that perception Nintendo is for kids, but Nintendo has franchises they can push harder instead of Pokemon and Mario to change their image. And, the 3rd parties definitely fill in the "older" target though. Splinter Cell is an example of a game on the X-Box and GameCube (and PS2).

It all comes down to gameplay. Blood and gore are a gimmick. You see one pool of blood, you've seen them all.

Why do I say X-Box gamers are not sophisticated? In essence, they're playing the same FPS over and over again and somehow think it's fun. All of those shooters really lack new gameplay elements. The only evolution of the FPS I've seen since Quake 3 is the addition of vehicles! Most FPSes are so bland and the same, gameplay-wise. Hey, they have their own individual stories, and sometimes really good stories mind you. But gameplay-wise, they're total letdowns, so there isn't that feeling of playing a totally, fresh new game whenever you pick up an FPS these days. I mean I find playing Call of Duty or Halo just as fun as (or at times even more fun than) playing Half Life 2. FPSes haven't amazed me these days at all.

Now, I'm not saying FPSes are the only games available on the X-Box. But, you aren't given many choices in games. You've got all of your shooters, a few original RPGs, the same sports games on all of the consoles, and I don't see anything fresh that wows me.

17. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You're completely twisting the statements.

The exact quote is:

"If the next generation platforms are going to create even more gorgeous looking games using further enhanced functionality, and if that next-gen market can still expand the games industry, then I'm afraid that third-parties may not support Nintendo. On the other hand, what we are trying to do is such a different thing, and people have come to realize that the approach we have taken with Nintendo DS can actually expand the market beyond what existing platforms can do. Therefore I believe there should be more third parties who are willing to support Nintendo's new ideas."

IGN comments:

Nintendo's president suggested that third party support for Revolution could depend entirely on whether or not publishers find the console appealing. "If we receive the support of the licensees, I believe we will expand third party support," he said. "If our ideas cannot be appealing enough, then we cannot receive third party support."

----

He didn't say third parties will not support them, he said that it will depend on how desirable the Revolution will be for the developers.

Last year's E3 Satoru Iwata made a very big deal about third party developers (though he didn't quite get up and do the "Developers, Developers, Developers" Steve Ballmer dance ;) ).

Metroid Prime and the new Zelda are other good examples.
    With the exception of SM64DS, I haven't seen any Mario commercials in ages. And zero for GameCube. On the other hand I've recently been seeing LOTS of Metroid commercials.

18. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Just to add to the discussion, Nintendo has mentioned lately that they are trying to appease the "Nintendo only has Kiddie Games, I'm going to go play GTA" crowd. Of course they have the Resident Evil games (althought IMHO RE4 is the only one worth playing). Then they have Second Sight and Geist coming out. The latest Zelda adventure is, of course, not a kiddie version. They have the Metal Gear games, and Splinter Cell etc. They do have what you might call "kiddie games" as well (even though I'd rather play those kiddie games than a mindless FPS.) But they don't JUST have kiddie games. You just have to look.

19. Macamus Prime macrumors regular

Mac gets games about one year after the PC release. That does not apply to the Gamecube. Look at Resident Evil 4. It will be released on the PS2 later in the year and there is NO way it will look as good as it did on the Gamecube.

So, in respect to software, the GC does not get hand me downs like Mac does. I am not dissing the Mac. But I understand how Nintendo can be seen as the Apple of consoles. Given the "cult like" followers of Nintendo products and games.